Any of y'all North Carolina folks wanna shootout DAC's?

jackman

« Reply #40 on: 26 Jan 2003, 02:02 am »
Wayne,
I can't imagine my system sounding any better than it does now, but you have been on the money with all of the stuff I have tested.  Looks like a MENSA is in my future...it will be the closest I will ever get to MENSA!!! It was very nice of you to loan the guys your PERSONAL DAC for the test.  I also appreciate all of the advice and great service on the products I have purchased from you.  Still trying to find cables that can outperform yours for the money...no luck yet!

Question: what's next a Steven Hawking model?  

Seriously, what mods did you perform on your Cal Delta?  I have one and like it a lot (another one of your recommendations!).  What can I do to take it up a notch?

J

Wayne1

« Reply #41 on: 26 Jan 2003, 02:15 am »
Quote from: jackman
Wayne,
I can't imagine my system sounding any better than it does now

That is exactly what Tyson and Jason said when they first heard the smART DI/O :)

Today, when we switched back to the smART from the MENSA, Jason said "That sounds like crap!" Tyson just laughed and said " Remember how a year ago, we thought our systems could never sound any better?"

I did a lot of dampening of the mechanism of my DELTA, and the case. I also replaced all of the diodes with HEXFREDS and upgraded the power supply capacitors. I replaced the IEC connector with a FURUTECH Rhodium plated one and I replaced the digital output jack with a Canare BNC.

I have played with a few different power cables on the CAL. Today we were using a Type 2 for both the Sony and the CAL. I do like the NITRO 14 best :D

Hantra

« Reply #42 on: 26 Jan 2003, 04:57 am »
Holy cow!

I didn't know I was getting the MENSA!  Sweet!  This will make everything more interesting, I am sure.

I just saw Sam Bush live in a theater that holds 1500, so I will have a great frame of reference for the shootout!  BTW, Jack Lawrence was there, and Byron House is a machine on bass!  

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing how these things compare to each other, but for now, I can't stop listening to mine!  

L8r!

B

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #43 on: 26 Jan 2003, 06:54 am »
Yes, the Mensa is "all that".  It was a sad moment when Wayne packed it up and just left the smArt I've been using for the last 6 months or so.

The bass, my god the bass!  It was friggin atomic blast type power in the bass.  The mids and highs were smoother, cleaner, clearer.  We actually compared a LOT more than just the smArt and Mensa Dio's today, but the $150 extra for the Mensa was the most bang for the buck improvement we heard today.  

Oh yes, I also got to hear the new M80 speaker wire.  Impressive.  For the $$, astonishingly good.  And it's so petite!  I imaging the WAF factor for this wire to be extremely high.  Quite close in sound to the Nitro speaker wire.

Gotta get some sleep, will post some more tomorrow.

nature boy

« Reply #44 on: 26 Jan 2003, 02:55 pm »
Wayne,

It is extremely gracious and wonderful of you to provide your own MENSA unit to the Carolina boys for their DAC shootout, especially given your past experiences with loaning out equipment.  On behalf of all AC audioholics, THANKS.

Hantra, et. al. I look forward to your impressions with great interest as now that my turntable purchase is complete, it's time for a DAC.

Tyson, I also look forward to your impressions (after some sleep obviously) as your taste in equipment and music seems to parallel mine a great deal.  

Oh, boy ain't this hobby fun! :dance:

NB

jackman

« Reply #45 on: 26 Jan 2003, 04:45 pm »
This is shaping up to be a really exciting trial of some well designed audio equipment.  One thing to note when comparing the DAC's, make sure the volume levels are the same for all of the DAC's in the test.  Scott Nixon's DAC required us to adjust the volume slightly louder to compensate for the lower output.  Not a fault of the DAC, I have had to do this in the past with other DAC's.  If you don't adjust the volume levels to an equal level, some higher output DAC's will give the false impression that they are more "dynamic" and have better overall sound.  

Do not try to adjust levels by ear or without a SPL meter.  Also, don't use music to adjust the levels.  Use an audio test CD that plays a static frequency.

J

Xi-Trum

« Reply #46 on: 26 Jan 2003, 06:21 pm »
Quote from: jackman
If you don't adjust the volume levels to an equal level, some higher output DAC's will give the false impression that they are more "dynamic" and have better overall sound.  

Do not try to adjust levels by ear or without a SPL meter.  Also, don't use music to adjust the levels.  Use an audio test CD that plays a static frequency.

J

Right on!  An example of this was when Kishore compared the smART DI/O to the Camelot.  Initial impression was that the smART was better. However, when level was matched, the Camelot was found to be better.  It is CRITICAL that levels are matched using SPL meter, and not by ear.

jackman

« Reply #47 on: 26 Jan 2003, 06:28 pm »
This is an old "trick" used by stereo stores when evaluating products.  People will often confuse a slightly louder level as more "dynamic" or 3D.  I was "suckered" into making some bad choices in the past (years and years ago :oops: ) by not taking this into account.  Don't get me wrong, I love the DIO and this is not meant to be a slam against anyone, it was merely a constructive (hopefully...) tip for people doing evaluations.  Also, it's hard to do this on music.  You should really play a frequency through the speakers and measure the level to make sure you are making an apples to apples comparison.  

J

BikeWNC

« Reply #48 on: 26 Jan 2003, 06:47 pm »
Thanks guys for your input.  I will bring my SPL meter and a couple of test discs to the shootout.  

Andy

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #49 on: 27 Jan 2003, 04:29 am »
I would like to invite anyone taking part in the DAC shootout to review the Excelarrays and give me some feedback. Feel free to post your thoughts here or on any other audio related site that you visit.

jackman

« Reply #50 on: 27 Jan 2003, 04:49 am »
Holy Smokes!  I really wish I was in the area.  I've been drooling over those Excelleray's since I first read about them.  They look like world-beaters.  Being in Chi-town really sucks today!

J

Brad V

« Reply #51 on: 29 Jan 2003, 09:16 pm »
I have been really enjoying my tube preamp, that I hooked up, since I got my VPI Aries TT. Last night I routed everything, so that CD's go thru my Tact, then MF A324 DAC then ARC SP-6A Tube Preamp and then my amps.

I was think for the test, that we could either use it like:
   CD Transport --> DAC --> tube preamp --> Amps

It looks like we'll have to do it like:
   CD Transport --> Tact --> DAC --> tube preamp --> Amps

The reason for this, is to get a finer granular adjust to the volume, so to match up DACS to be the same volume level. The tube preamp moves up in 2db steps, so it would be impossible to get the volume the same.

With the Tact, it will be easy to get setup, as the Tact will generate a constant tone for us to use a meter with.

I'm looking forward to Sunday. It looks like we might have more DACs, then we do people.

There might be a chance that I might not be able to partake in the judging of these DACs, unless the cold I have had for the last 10 days, leaves my head.  I would hope it will be gone by then.

Have a great day,

Brad

Hantra

« Reply #52 on: 30 Jan 2003, 05:11 pm »
All:

I got the Mensa D/IO last night!  Wayne is a really great guy!  I am not sure if I'd send my personal DAC out to anyone for a week!  

Anyhow, I am getting excited about seeing how these things compare.  Wayne also sent me some cables that we'll be using for the shootout.  

If anyone is coming, and has NOT confirmed with me, please PM me.  Otherwise, I will be sending out directions to all attendees that have confirmed.

L8z!

B

Hantra