PMC AB1 & LB1 EXPIERIENCES

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
Re: PMC AB1 & LB1 EXPIERIENCES
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2009, 10:02 pm »
Ian,

Did you hear PB1 yet?
Hope I will have that opportunity very soon.

Cheers!

Predrag

Predrag,

I have a pair of PB1i for demo with the BCD1, 4BSST2, BP26 w/MPS-2...  No one can deny it's supremacy, all enabled by the new Bryston kit!  I don't even have to say anything, I just play a bit of my material, and then let them play theirs...  Reactions have varied from dropped jaws & disbelief to schoolgirl excitement & giddiness. I would sum them up as hot on the heels of your EB1i, not quite there, but pretty damn close. Jump at the first opportunity you have, they are a lot of fun.

Ian

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar 2009, 10:08 pm »
Ian....wow ..... i never realized that pmc uses a transmission line for speaker closure until now..... :duh:  :icon_lol:  I would love to hear a OB1 and a 4bsq.
The 4bsq is an awesome amp with my Acoustic zens(2 way transmission). You dont have much exposure here in Saskatchewan, i probably wouldve bought a pair. Dont feel bad though, Saskatoon isnt great for Hi-fi dealers in general.

:o ...

predrag

« Reply #22 on: 19 Mar 2009, 10:22 pm »
Ian,

Did you hear PB1 yet?
Hope I will have that opportunity very soon.

Cheers!

Predrag

Predrag,

I have a pair of PB1i for demo with the BCD1, 4BSST2, BP26 w/MPS-2...  No one can deny it's supremacy, all enabled by the new Bryston kit!  I don't even have to say anything, I just play a bit of my material, and then let them play theirs...  Reactions have varied from dropped jaws & disbelief to schoolgirl excitement & giddiness. I would sum them up as hot on the heels of your EB1i, not quite there, but pretty damn close. Jump at the first opportunity you have, they are a lot of fun.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes, you must be right, but with PMC there is no way back.
I was easily hooked to that flat bass driver and am already looking to sometnig with radial bass!
My dealer (and friend) is waiting for PB1 that will be pushed with 14B SST2.
Will share my impressions with all of you.
These are my PMC´s at the time when EB1 replaced OB1. I had them both for a few days.

rahman

« Reply #23 on: 19 Mar 2009, 11:18 pm »

From FB1 to MB2 is three steps up the scale! It is a massive improvement!
In my space speakers are abot 3m from each other and from my listening position.
I agree with you that a small space must not always be against big speakers.
Well positioned and with good room acoustics it is real joy!
Visceral impact is phenomenal, just like in big concerts!
System upgreded like this improves your listening experience but deteriorates your relationship with neighbours and can can be wife and kids unfriendly!
Luckily Bryston/PMC systems are just as good at low levels.
If you are lucky enough to live in a house (not in apartment block like myself) you are priviledged to enjoy your system all the way!

Hi Predrag

I'm also currently in an apartment block. Thankfully, it's newishly built with foot-thick concrete walls. :lol: Thus far, no complaints from the neighbours - even when I'm alone, let her rip and scare myself silly (the propellerheads' album is a great one for this btw). Good times!

Alex: sorry - didnt mean to confuse matters - just share my own experience and suggest that if you have the chance to audition some of the bigger pmcs - then definitely do so! Don't get me wrong, the fb1's are great, but the separate mid of the ob1's and up are, in my mind, are a substantial addition and the pmc mid is special indeed.

Cheers
Adrian

Moon Doggy

« Reply #24 on: 19 Mar 2009, 11:58 pm »
If you have these Acoustic Zen Adagio pictured below in one of our rave meetings, I would definitely try to audition a  PMC OB1. 

I heard them both and favor goes to the PMC OB1 for its' resolution, dynamic contrast and coherence. :)

I heard the Acoustic Zen Adagios. I was quite impressed and almost bought them. How MUCH better are the PMC OB1 IYO? Unfortunately there are no PMC dealers close by so would have to order unauditioned :(
Regards, James

werd

« Reply #25 on: 20 Mar 2009, 12:27 am »
If you have these Acoustic Zen Adagio pictured below in one of our rave meetings, I would definitely try to audition a  PMC OB1. 

I heard them both and favor goes to the PMC OB1 for its' resolution, dynamic contrast and coherence. :)

I heard the Acoustic Zen Adagios. I was quite impressed and almost bought them. How MUCH better are the PMC OB1 IYO? Unfortunately there are no PMC dealers close by so would have to order unauditioned :(
Regards, James

I myself unlike Levi havent heard the OB1 kinobes but i can say that synergy with new bryston gear and the AZ speakers r very good. I dont know if its the bda-1 or 4Bsq. or both that really tame that 2in.  ribbon tweater. I have feeling its the dac more than the amp. The transmission line really keeps the bass intact. the real lows sound passive unlike an active driver but i use 15in sub sparingly to give it more bottom end slam. The 4bsq really keeps the speaker moving with wonderful pace. the speaker isnt that loud but it suffices for my  needs. The amp really fleshes out the speaker, alot more than the conventional tube amp that might be partnered with this speaker.                                   

Levi

« Reply #26 on: 20 Mar 2009, 12:52 am »

Levi what do u think of that Monster cable avs2000 u got? I like mine but i find it can be a bit bright.

I think the Monster avs2000 is great for the video.  Your findings are spot on it also depends on the system connected to it.  I now use Richard Gray ISO system. 

Only the amplifiers are connected directly to the wall.  I never used to hear the difference in cable or PLC.  The OB1's is highly resolving nature enables me to hear the difference in any changes in my system.

Levi

« Reply #27 on: 20 Mar 2009, 01:07 am »

Regards, James

PMC OB1 is like a fine wine.  :wine:  The OB1 has delicacy, immediacy and transparency.  We (NY Audio Rave) are fortunate to hear many different systems.  That's every month! :)

Maybe if you look into your local audio club, perhaps you get lucky that someone has PMC speakers.  Definitely, look me up if you are going to be in New York City.  :thumb: 

Viajero5000

« Reply #28 on: 20 Mar 2009, 10:03 am »
I briefly heard the Adagios a few weeks ago and thought they were good speakers, neutral and not exaggerated. If I had to make a choice between an OB1 vs the Adagio though, I'd take probably the OB1 (perhaps because I'm biased?). The one area I thought I preferred the Adagios was that the PMCs sound a bit comparatively 'hotter'; the Adagios were more even.   

Moon Doggy

« Reply #29 on: 20 Mar 2009, 08:14 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Too bad there is no local PMC dealer for an audition. Got an email in to the PMC distributor for my nearest dealer in Canada. At least I know what I'm doing on my next vacation. :thumb:

jethro

« Reply #30 on: 20 Mar 2009, 09:06 pm »
Which province do you live in MoonDoggy ?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #31 on: 20 Mar 2009, 09:24 pm »
For a 16 square meter, which is 172 square feet which is a pretty sizable room... With a 4B, I would say without knowing the exact dimensions that an FB1i or an OB1i would suffice your space.

ok. thank you. :D

al.

Hi Alex

Having gone from fb1+'s to mb2s, and in a relatively small space, I would say you shouldn't be afraid to go further up the line than ob1's.

In my setup the speakers are about 2.5m apart and I'm sitting about the same distance away. Amp is 14B-C series. The sheer weight of sound, and the massive improvement in clarity in the midrange compared to the fb1's, make it a truly visceral and sometimes actually frightening experience.

I admit that it may look a bit silly having such large speakers in a small space, and I had expected complaints from the other half about this, but they never materialised. Can't say much more than that!  :green:

Cheers
Adrian

hi, Adrian!

thanx for your input.

al.

Moon Doggy

« Reply #32 on: 20 Mar 2009, 09:53 pm »

Manitoba. Just got a response from the distributor and there is a dealer in Winnipeg. However, he does not have any PMC on display to hear. He says I may be able to hear some MB2i at a customers house. I don't know how I feel about that! How similar in sound are the MB2i to the Pro Audio PMC IB1S passive version. I'm told the PMC range is very similar in sound but the brand sound just gets bigger as you go up the range.  :scratch:

werd

« Reply #33 on: 20 Mar 2009, 10:08 pm »

Manitoba. Just got a response from the distributor and there is a dealer in Winnipeg. However, he does not have any PMC on display to hear. He says I may be able to hear some MB2i at a customers house. I don't know how I feel about that! How similar in sound are the MB2i to the Pro Audio PMC IB1S passive version. I'm told the PMC range is very similar in sound but the brand sound just gets bigger as you go up the range.  :scratch:

Born and raised in Winnipeg. I am pretty sure Long & Mcquade is a distributor of pro pmc gear. I am wondering if u can buy PMC home audio from a pro PMC distributor? :scratch: There is also a Long & Mcquade in Saskatoon, where i am at.

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #34 on: 20 Mar 2009, 10:44 pm »
The MB2i is remarkably superior to the IB1S...  Mainly due to the midrange it utilizes, and the new solonex tweeter.  More effective ATL length makes for a bit deeper bass extension.  The IB1 at 25hz and the MB2 at 20hz.

While you could say that the sound just gets bigger as you go up the line - I would like to say the sound is more refined. From the DB1i & GB1i to the TB2i & FB1i the sound is bigger and sepration becomes more apparent, bass extension improved. :) 

From the OB1i to the PB1i to the EB1i - while the they feature the same mid range; power handling and bass extension are substantially improved across all three models, each improving on the prior.  :D

From the the IB2i to the MB2i to the BB5i you will hear the same escalation of performance as that seen in the OB, PB, & EB, except these three models are a whole cut above, the PMC 75mm soft dome mid range and increase in effective ATL length being at the heart of the jump in performance. aa :drool:

rahman

« Reply #35 on: 21 Mar 2009, 01:56 pm »
For a 16 square meter, which is 172 square feet which is a pretty sizable room... With a 4B, I would say without knowing the exact dimensions that an FB1i or an OB1i would suffice your space.

ok. thank you. :D

al.

Hi Alex

Having gone from fb1+'s to mb2s, and in a relatively small space, I would say you shouldn't be afraid to go further up the line than ob1's.

In my setup the speakers are about 2.5m apart and I'm sitting about the same distance away. Amp is 14B-C series. The sheer weight of sound, and the massive improvement in clarity in the midrange compared to the fb1's, make it a truly visceral and sometimes actually frightening experience.

I admit that it may look a bit silly having such large speakers in a small space, and I had expected complaints from the other half about this, but they never materialised. Can't say much more than that!  :green:

Cheers
Adrian

hi, Adrian!

thanx for your input.

al.

Hi Alex

No worries and best of luck with your search.

Cheers
Adrian
ps: gf's working today - so cranked it up with some more propellerheads, jeff mills, ritchie hawtin and currently crystal method.  Oh. my. lord. Thank you PMC and Bryston.  Seriously.  :icon_twisted:

Bassmann

« Reply #36 on: 25 Mar 2009, 06:45 pm »
Hi

Just thought i would bring it to everyones attention, there is a pair of PMC AB1's for sale on eBay.UK at the moment, ending 31.03.09. Very rare indeed.

Thanks