SqueezeCenter FLAC tunes to a second PC (via wireless network)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
I've got SqueezeCenter 7.4 (iirc it's 7.4) on my PC loaded with FLAC for my SB3.
I'd like to make my tunes available on my wife's PC which is connected via wireless network.
I downloaded SqueezePlay for her to have access to my tunes, but SqueezePlay is the single worst GUI I've ever seen in my life. It has the pretty shiny look and feel of Windows MCE, but the controls are horrible and the organization is terrible.

I thought the latest version of SC had remote capability, but haven't been able to find the feature on my version.

How are you guys getting your tunes to other PC's on the network?
Just curious to what options are available. I'd like to let my wife choose which UI is most comfortable to her.

Thanks fellas.  :thumb:
Bob

mcgsxr

If I understand correctly, you want to stream the music on your main PC, to a second PC wirelessly?

Most of the folks I see around here (and I am in this boat too) are controlling the main system via other PC's, rather than what you describe.

I recall under the old Slimserver branding, there was Softsqueeze that allowed this feature?  Not sure what it is called in the new versions of the s/w.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Assuming your FLAC files are available to her via your LAN (on a shared folder or something) why stay with Squeeze Center for her?  Just use any one of the myriad of pc front ends that talk to FLAC.  My fave is Foobar, which I made to look like iTunes (for simple as heck access) very easily.
http://www.teqnilogik.com/tutorials/foobar2000_itunes.shtml

here's mine:

« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2009, 10:34 pm by ted_b »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Mark -
"you want to stream the music on your main PC, to a second PC wirelessly?"
Yes, I'd like to have access to the tunes from (eventually) multiple PC's throughout the house.
Everything wireless in the house is channeled though a wireless router/hub thingy. I'd like my PC to be "entertainment central" and everybody accesses it (through the router) for tunes. Kinda like what you did with your headless rig, but instead mine would be the hub.
"there was Softsqueeze that allowed this feature".
YES!! That's the name of it. I couldn't remember the name of the "old" software made specifically for this. For me, there's been too many "Squeezes" in my life and I was loosing track of them all. But yes, SoftSqueeze is what it was called, thank you.

Ted -
"FLAC files are available to her via your LAN ........ why stay with Squeeze Center for her?"
Now you're getting into my favorite subject...: Networking.  :duh:
<I need a "shoot myself in the head smiley" for that one>
I've done everything I know how to do to my PC, including having the upturned "shared folder hand" under my music folder, but haven't been able to "see" my drive on her PC. I though I'd take the 'chicken way out' and just do it though software I know will get past all the stuff I don't know about (networking). The series of "Squeeze" programs out there was my easy way out.  :oops:
I've got Foobar and Media Monkey on my PC. Haven't tried either on her's. Now that my folders are marked "shared" Is it as simple as downloading one of them on her PC and they'll find my folder on their own?
Laaawdy, tell it ain't that simple.  :?

Thank you guys for the assist.
Bob

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
If your music folder(s) are shared, and she is truly on your LAN (i.e can see your pc from her pc networking screen, same workgroup name, etc.) then she should be able to see your folders.  If she can't see your pc it's cuz her workgroup name may not be the same as yours (something like "home" or "workgroup").  Once it's found, she cana ces those FALC files with any software on her pc (like Foobar, etc.).  Softsqueeze might be easier, dunno.  it has the look of the front of a Transporter or Squeezebox.  At least Squeezeply uses album art, etc.

JEaton

"FLAC files are available to her via your LAN ........ why stay with Squeeze Center for her?"
Now you're getting into my favorite subject...: Networking.  :duh:
<I need a "shoot myself in the head smiley" for that one>
I've done everything I know how to do to my PC, including having the upturned "shared folder hand" under my music folder, but haven't been able to "see" my drive on her PC. I though I'd take the 'chicken way out' and just do it though software I know will get past all the stuff I don't know about (networking). The series of "Squeeze" programs out there was my easy way out.  :oops:
I've got Foobar and Media Monkey on my PC. Haven't tried either on her's. Now that my folders are marked "shared" Is it as simple as downloading one of them on her PC and they'll find my folder on their own?
Laaawdy, tell it ain't that simple.  :?

It's potentially much simpler, but first...

One of the Squeeze programs may still be preferable.  I use Squeezeslave when I'm at work, streaming music from my SqueezeCenter server at home.  Squeezeslave is a completely 'headless' program, with no interface of its own and I control it using the web interface of SqueezeCenter, like I usually use with my Sqeezeboxes at home.  I rather like the web interface for its search capability and its simple ability to browse through my library with cover art displayed.

If that doesn't grab you, then foobar or Winamp (what I generally use on a PC for listening) should work very simply.  If you install Winamp, it should associate itself in Windows with FLAC files, which mean that if you just double-click on a FLAC file, it should begin playing on the computer.  Winamp also adds a couple of context (right-click) menu items in Windows Explorer that let you play or queue up whole folders of files.  Assuming you organize your library into a structuroe of \artist\album\track, this is useful for playing back albums or an entire artist.

If you've shared the music folder for access from the local network then from your wife's PC should be able to browse the network share in Windows Explorer.  Easiest thing would be to map the share to a local disk drive letter to the network share.  Say "M:" for Music.  You could then even put a shortcut to M: on the desktop or in the Taskbar.  Click the shortcut, and it brings up Windows Explorer at the root of the music library.  Browse those files and you can double-click any file to play it, or right-click to queue it up.  Right click on an album folder for Winamp options to play or enqueue the whole folder (and any subfolders).

There are some other ways you can use Winamp, too, such as letting it scan your library and then using the Media Library interface.