First to Last Watt

denjo

Re: First to Last Watt
« Reply #20 on: 5 Mar 2009, 09:16 pm »
Hi niels
I believe Larry Greenhill of Stereophile pitted the B100 against its bigger brother, the 4B SST and if memory serves me well, the diffrences he heard between the two were quite minimal, with more control in bass with the latter. I think we share quite a bit of similarities in that my lounge is quite small and my wife does not usually like the music too loud! Given these constraints, I find that the B100 is more than adequate.

On the uncanny ability to sound good even with low listening levels, have you tried to walk away from where your system is (say around the house) and ask yourself what you hear? I call this my "walk around and about test!" With most other audio equipment, I have to be in the lounge, preferably in the sweet spot, to discern the diction and to get musically engaged. With the Bryston, I can be in any part of my flat (about 2,800 sq ft) and the Bryston still makes its "presence" felt. I can clearly discern diction, make out conversation with much ease with the Bryston playing. Its as if the omni sound is as good when moving around the Bryston as it is sitting in front!

As for internet radio through the B100 DAC, once again I agree with all that you say about how good internet radio sounds through and with the Bryston DAC. I will certainly try the station you mention. I listen mostly to RadioIO Jazz or TSF Jazz Paris and both these stations are 128 kbs.

Enjoy!

Best Regards
Dennis

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #21 on: 6 Mar 2009, 04:37 am »
Hi James and all Bryston owners

I read with keen interest of Bryston's objective to ensure that the first watt sounds as good as the last, and of why the music is so wholesome and organic even at low listening volumes. There is one other phenomena which I have observed with my Bryston B100 (which although will not see a SST2 version) has the uncanny ability of making conversation, diction and lyrics quite discernible! I have compared the Bryston with other amplifiers on hand (notably my trusty YBA and new Accuphase) but every time I swop the amplifiers, this quality of allowing me to follow lyrics, diction and conversation keeps being highlighted whenever the Bryston is playing! This is a real advantage when using the Bryston for TV viewing. Also, I am almost "forced" to follow not only the flow of the music but the clear enunication of the words by a speaker or singer. I wonder if other Bryston owners have a similar experience to share. All I can say is that Bryston's attempt to achieve neutrality is clearly showing results.

Best Regards
Dennis

Wow, you like Bryston better than YBA and Accuphase? Those are some heavy hitters!

I will admit, I do too.

vegasdave

« Reply #22 on: 6 Mar 2009, 04:46 am »
The transparency can often be confused with excessive treble, edgy sound, brightness, and the sheer resolving power of Bryston is a bit too much for some people, or speakers.....

Exactly. This is what Bryston detractors use as a way to justify their colored sounding equipment and their listening tastes i.e. that Bryston is too dry, bright, etc.

Bryston being bright has long been a criticism by some audiophiles. The hell with that, I say. It's not true.

I have total respect for Bryston, but in the audiophile community, I don't see the level it should be compared to other high end brands.

But, we know what is the true sound, right?

math-geek

« Reply #23 on: 6 Mar 2009, 06:37 am »
This post really caught my attention.  I was the guy that posted "First Post" a few days ago.  I do not have the newer equipment that many of you do.  I am running an original 2B, a PS Audio 4.6 preamp and a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkIIs.  I understand exactly what you are saying about being able to resolve details at low volume levels.  The volume drops yet the bass is still authoritive and the vocals clearly audible.  Compared to the (don't laugh) Yamaha integrated amp that I started with my old 2B is stunning. 

My older brother has a system based upon Revel M-20 monitors and a Mark Levinson No. 383 intgrated amplifier and quite honestly he is rethinking his system after listening to my nearly garage sale priced outfit.  If I am getting sound quality like this with an old Bryston amplifier it really (really!) makes me wonder what I newer sst seris amplifier would sound like in comparison.

Any thoughts?  Let me know.

Earl

niels

« Reply #24 on: 6 Mar 2009, 10:51 am »
Bryston gear on E-bay is usually gone in no time at all, even very old gear is in demand. You might experience better sound with the SST models, but I think to some people its a "is it really worth the price difference" question. I say this mostly because here in Europe Bryston is very expensive indeed.
If I have to shoot from the hip, and I am not familiar with the PSAudio 4,6, so I cant vouch for that, but yes, Dynaudio needs juice, and the more the better really, like my speakers. If you tend to not play lod I think the 2BSST is enough for you, and I can guarantee a fantastic experience. James Tanner use the 2BSST with his Quad 2905 speakers actually. However, did you consider the B100?

(But dennis, you remember correctly about the comment on the 4B vs. the B100, I remember now....)

danman

« Reply #25 on: 6 Mar 2009, 01:52 pm »
Now knowing what you told me about not needing the extra volume because of your living arrangements, well your B100 should definately be enough! Only if you really wanted to drive your Aeon's would your amp strain a little but still give you great sound.

I can vouch for the YBA gear as before buying the BP20 (2004 model) Pre from James and Bryston directly last year, I was using a YBA and yes it was very good but a little on the dry side if I could compare. The BP-20 was much better for dynamics and bass slam and I noticed a better stereo separation for some reason.

Upgrading to the newer series of amps will certainly bring you to another level of sound so people should be careful about what they read as there IS a difference in sound. The noise floor of the new amps is so low you could hear a fly fart at low volume!

vegasdave

« Reply #26 on: 6 Mar 2009, 08:34 pm »
I concur. Based on listening to the new 7B's @ CES, there was a difference!