Packaged deal on the servo subs with cabinets!

Danny Richie

Re: Packaged deal on the servo subs with cabinets!
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:52 pm »
Comparing these to un-controlled subs is really no comparison. Doing so is like comparing fine articulated bass response to one that goes boom, boom. It's like comparing a Corvette to a Bus.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:56 pm »
zybar,
You might talk to EARGASM.  He is making two, dual servo sub OB cabinets for me.  These will also be base stands for the NEO2X as well. 

I'm calling them OB Bass Bases!  :)

sts9fan

« Reply #22 on: 19 Mar 2009, 01:55 pm »
Hi Danny

I ordered one of these from you last week.  I am currently using a pair of AV1+ as my main speakers and was wondering about crossover point.  Should I attenuate the low end of the mains? 
Its funny, I am using these that I pretty much bought for a song while I build another set of speakers.  The thing is I really like the speakers!  The only down side is they are oak, this sub is oak and I generally don't like oak :duh:
oh well...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 19 Mar 2009, 02:15 pm »
zybar,
You might talk to EARGASM.  He is making two, dual servo sub OB cabinets for me.  These will also be base stands for the NEO2X as well. 

I'm calling them OB Bass Bases!  :)

I have been in contact with EARGASM, but have decided to take advantage of my friend's CNC machine and will be building these "myself".

I have no doubt that Eric will build you something very nice.

Good luck.

George

Stereodude

« Reply #24 on: 19 Mar 2009, 03:06 pm »
Comparing these to un-controlled subs is really no comparison. Doing so is like comparing fine articulated bass response to one that goes boom, boom. It's like comparing a Corvette to a Bus.

:lol: So...  Uh... which one is the bus and which one is the Corvette?  :lol:

Jason Brent

« Reply #25 on: 19 Mar 2009, 03:17 pm »
So one would hear more separation (and hopefully a little more kick) in faster double bass drum lines?

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 19 Mar 2009, 03:55 pm »
At 100 miles an hour the bus will hit you pretty hard, but think of it as both the bus and the Vette are moving 100 miles and hour then you ask them to come to a stop as fast as possible then accelerate back to 100 again.

So one would hear more separation (and hopefully a little more kick) in faster double bass drum lines?

With the servo controlled subs you hear a lot more dead space between each hit.

Jason Brent

« Reply #27 on: 19 Mar 2009, 04:06 pm »
Well, I've kinda put myself in a predicament......

I have a pb13, but only have like 2 days left on my trial period.  It was filling in downstairs in the HT while the HT sub awaits a new amp.  Anyway, I finally decided to haul the thing upstairs.  I never would've expected to be anything less than thrilled with it.  I'm finding it harder to integrate than the old (circa 1995) sealed 12's, even thought the SVS clearly goes much, much lower.

I've been moving it all over the room, and have had some success in that regard, it's just not the seamless blend I'm wanting.

Another factor is that I'm using the built in x-over on the SVS, so the 8" bass drivers on my mains aren't getting as much work.....a good thing when I need the headroom, but I know their absence is contributing to the integration issues.

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 19 Mar 2009, 04:14 pm »
I never would've expected to be anything less than thrilled with it.

I am personally not a big fan of the BASH amps.

I've been moving it all over the room, and have had some success in that regard, it's just not the seamless blend I'm wanting.

You have some group delay issues to deal with using the ported box that you don't have with the sealed too.

Another factor is that I'm using the built in x-over on the SVS, so the 8" bass drivers on my mains aren't getting as much work.....a good thing when I need the headroom, but I know their absence is contributing to the integration issues.

You aren't running the input to your main speakers through bash amp are you? I wouldn't want to have what's in the BASH amp to be in the signal path to your main speakers. It may work fine for a lot of home theater applications but I wouldn't do that for a high end two channel application.

Jason Brent

« Reply #29 on: 19 Mar 2009, 04:24 pm »
Yes, I am.  Pre>SVS>main amp.  Also, I have tried the sealed configuration, but am not noticing a huge difference.  This is a very small room (around 1000 cubic feet), but will be moving in the next 3 months or so (house shopping now) so it will most likely end up in a larger room

How would you suggest I relieve the low bass from my mains? 

pmctexas

« Reply #30 on: 19 Mar 2009, 04:27 pm »
Danny - I have large floorplan 25X30X10 with lots of openings to other rooms - Would two of these sub's do much or better to go two in open baffle (or even ported) ? Main Speakers are X-Statik... Mostly Jazz..  Thanks for letting me visit two weeks ago...   
paul

Jason Brent

« Reply #31 on: 19 Mar 2009, 07:58 pm »
Hello Danny,

Thanks on your input so far regarding this.

In pursuing an answer to my last question, I called Bruce Thigpen, designer/builder of my speakers.  He suggested that I use at 330 microfarad non-polarized capacitor in parallel with a 10 microfarad poly or metal film capacitor, then wired in series to my speakers.

I'm a complete newb on this stuff.  Can you or some of the other guys well versed in this help me in this?

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 19 Mar 2009, 08:55 pm »
Danny - I have large floorplan 25X30X10 with lots of openings to other rooms - Would two of these sub's do much or better to go two in open baffle (or even ported) ? Main Speakers are X-Statik... Mostly Jazz.. 

With a room that big I'd at least start with a pair of SW-12-08's in a sealed box or a pair of the SW-12-16FR's in a W or H frame if you can get them out into the room. If that is not enough then add a second pair of dual woofers.

Thanks for letting me visit two weeks ago...

Oh, you are welcome.

I called Bruce Thigpen, designer/builder of my speakers.  He suggested that I use at 330 microfarad non-polarized capacitor in parallel with a 10 microfarad poly or metal film capacitor, then wired in series to my speakers.

I'd go with his suggestion but I'd wire it in line with your low frequency drivers only. No sense in the signal going to the tweeter (or tweeters) to have to pass through it as well.

Jason Brent

« Reply #33 on: 20 Mar 2009, 01:39 am »
cool, that would be fairly easily done...just pull the drivers out of the box.  Could you provide some guidance on quality parts to use through your website/phone call, or should I call Sean Parque?

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 20 Mar 2009, 02:36 am »
I can walk you through it. Just give me a call during the week.

Jason Brent

« Reply #35 on: 20 Mar 2009, 04:03 am »
WHAT....you don't work weekends!!....I though you were committed to this stuff.

j/j....I call you sometime.  Always enjoy gleaning knowledge from guys like you.

Looking forward to it.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #36 on: 22 Mar 2009, 02:56 pm »
Wow!  I stopped by here just to check in on things and. . . I'm going to have to see how much oink is left in the piggy bank. . .

Jason, I know we've talked/PMed about these subs before, but at this deal, you could really make some magic selling the PB13 and building a quad stack of these. :D

persisting1

« Reply #37 on: 24 Mar 2009, 01:35 am »
So my order shipped on this package deal today.

The only thing left is the waiting game until it arrives :sad:

2bigears

« Reply #38 on: 24 Mar 2009, 03:33 am »
 :D  are these subs only for the ht guys,or do they play 2 ch blending in fine. :D

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #39 on: 24 Mar 2009, 11:12 am »
:D  are these subs only for the ht guys,or do they play 2 ch blending in fine. :D

Previous posts suggest that they would work well in both setups.

George