Magnepan MMG neophyte question.....go easy on me!!!

audioferret

Re: Magnepan MMG neophyte question.....go easy on me!!!
« Reply #40 on: 27 Feb 2009, 04:09 am »
The insistance on subwoofers in this thread really puts my teeth on edge though. It is my understanding that most subs just don't blend well with the maggies. The bass they offer is so tight and precise that throwing some tub-thumper into the mix just seems like defeating the entire purpose of buying maggies to begin with.

Most crappy subs, yes.  The servo-controlled subs sold by Paradigm, Velodyne, and Rythmik are all more than capable of blending seamlessly with Maggies.  Check the Maggie forums and you will find a number of people who go this route.

I would like to eventually develop my system with stereo subs, but as it stands I have to say that they are not bass deficient in the slightest-- they just do not go that deep.
You don't really need stereo subs, but they are nice to have.  The stereo x-sub option used by many is nice, but it only goes down to about 25-30 Hz.

It is amazing just how little deep bass there is in most music, so I hardly miss the frequencies that they just ignore.

My Rythmik gives me ruler flat bass from about 16-100Hz and blends nicely with my mains, which go all the way down to 27Hz on their own.  You don't miss quality deep bass (which is in a lot of music) because you haven't heard it.  Organs go down to 16Hz.  Pianos go down to 27.5.  Double Bass runs down to 41.2(ish).  The fundamentals from those notes run lower.  If your Maggie runs down to 50 at +/-3, you are missing a lot of music. 

Bass management-- that seems almost a laughable concept (imho). Does the receiver send the "bad bass" to bed without its supper?
  Read up on the benefits of bi-amping.  The benefit of active crossovers (the outlaw uses an analog crossover - nicer than digital) is that it relieves the amp of work it doesn't have to do and makes your Maggies sound better.  Even though your maggies only go down to 50 doesn't mean that your amp isn't trying to play them full range.  about half of the energy in music runs from 350 Hz and down.  The energy spent on trying to play 20-50 Hz (Over an octave) in your maggies saps current from the demands of the upper octaves and distorts the music that it can make.  By redirecting energy from the lower drivers to a separate amp, you are being much more efficient and accurate. 

Next, the maggies are not made to play deep bass well.  Just like any multi-way speaker, you are taking advantage of the strengths of each driver in turn.  The maggies use a crossover to separate signals between is drivers for a reason.  The crossover in your MMG is sending high frequencies to the high frequency driver to prevent it from trying to reproduce low frequencies and distorting (it would destroy itself).  The low frequency driver is handling everything below that, even the notes below 50 it cannot handle. 

The active crossover not only prevents you from trying to make the low-frequency driver from doing what it is not made to do, it is allowing you to take advantage of a driver that can. The amplifier on a subwoofer is not made to play high frequencies - but it is made to play low ones.

Last, you can take advantage of the separate sub to optimize your bass response.  The optimum position for stereo separation and imaging with your mains is not necessarily the best for bass response.  You can move around the sub for a overall sound far superior to the mains by themselves, even if they were full range.  You simply have more options.

The REL sub brochure offers some novel advice. If your crossover point seems to high or low, adjust it. If your bass seems too loud or too soft, simply turn the sub volume up or down.
Louder and softer do not always correspond to better.  As you get better at positioning a sub, this becomes very apparent.  Also, the sub is adding more power to the system, not making it louder.  A good analogy is a car.  Just because one car has 350 HP and another 150 (all other things being equal), that doesn't make one that much faster.  The real difference is that the higher horsepower accelerates faster and has more control.  It drives better, too.   

"Computerized controls" don't really do much more than that, they just remove the problem of actually listening to your system and tweaking it.
There is nothing "computerized" about the outlaw bass controls, like mentioned above.

I'm not buying hardware to avoid listening to it, myself.
  Actually, you are.  If you use a non-full range speaker, you are missing the low end by definition. 

MaxCast

« Reply #41 on: 27 Feb 2009, 12:03 pm »

Excellent post Mr. ferret.  Thanks for taking the time. 

chriscrellin1

« Reply #42 on: 3 Mar 2009, 12:23 am »
NAD 755 should be enough for the Maggies?  Buddy has one for sale, cheap....
Power Amp
Power output (stereo, 8 ohms within rated distortion   2 x 100W (20.4dBW)
IHF dynamic power   8 ohms   2 x 160W (22dBW)
4 ohms   2 x 200W (23dBW)
2 ohms   2 x 280W (24.4dBW)

Jeff Ward

« Reply #43 on: 3 Mar 2009, 01:04 am »
The tone around here (and fisking) often leaves much to be desired.

An update. I purchased an REL 205 sub to pair with my MMGs and I'm really enjoying it. I was nervous about the high level hook-up, because active crossovers (not to be confused with biamping) have advantages beyond the added power of a supplemental amplifier.

I'm quite happy with the blend. REL actually recommends the high-level hook-up to better match the phase and timbre due to the interactions between amplifier and speaker. This does make a certain amount of sense. Their hook-up also allows for simultaneous connection to the .1 output of a home theater receiver, which also makes sense. "Bass management" is the routing of the .1 channel (at low level) to the subwoofer. That method of hook-up has nothing to do with bi-amping and its inherent advantages. After thinking it through, the terminology makes more sense-- the bass is "routed" (managed) from the DTS surround signal.

"Bass management" still makes no sense in the context of conventional stereo sound, and I am offended that someone feels the need to "school" me.

Rashiki

« Reply #44 on: 3 Mar 2009, 04:57 am »
The tone around here (and fisking) often leaves much to be desired.

"Bass management" still makes no sense in the context of conventional stereo sound, and I am offended that someone feels the need to "school" me.

At the risk of further offending you, I wanted to say that your definition of bass management is incorrect. Routing the LFE channel to a subwoofer doesn't require bass management, and in a surround sound system with full-range speakers, bass management would likely be disabled. The purpose of bass management is to redirect bass content to only those speakers that can handle it. It is specifically for content that doesn't already split out the low frequency data to a separate channel where bass management is required. The outlaw stereo receiver offers analog bass management specifically for this reason -- it redirects the bass to the subwoofer allowing the main speakers to play only those frequencies they are best equipped to handle.

Jeff Ward

« Reply #45 on: 3 Mar 2009, 03:35 pm »
That is the definition of a crossover, not of "bass management." Crossovers do not direct, they "pass" certain frequencies while blocking others. Not my definition of management. Following your logic, most multi-driver speakers already practice "bass management" so the term borders on meaningless. That was my point. Active vs. passive crossover is a meaningful discussion, "bass management" really confuses the core issue.

Decoding a 5.1 or 7.1 signal, well, that's management. The discrete components are routed to specific amplifier channels. That makes the most sense to me. The discussion of crossovers is a separate matter entirely.

Your response was civil and inoffensive, making it easier to clarify my point.

Rashiki

« Reply #46 on: 3 Mar 2009, 05:56 pm »
We're getting closer to a common understanding here... Bass management does include low pass filtering, much like part of a crossover. The difference between the crossover that is built into most speakers and bass management is that bass management handles multiple channels.

In the case of a home theater receiver set for 5.1 or 7.1 operation, if bass management is enabled, it will filter out the low frequencies across all 5 or 7 channels and sum it with the LFE (.1) channel and output the result to the subwoofer. If bass management is not enabled, the subwoofer will only output the LFE (.1) channel and the remaining 5 or 7 speakers get the full range signal for each of their channels.

In the case of the Outlaw stereo receiver when bass management is enabled, it filters out the low frequency component of both the left and right channels, sums them and outputs that to the subwoofer out. If bass management is not enabled, there will be no signal at the subwoofer output.

The speaker level inputs on your subwoofer allow the sub to perform its own bass management -- it filters out the low frequency components of the left and right channels,  sums them and sends the result to its speaker, sending the higher frequencies on to the left and right speakers. Rel calls this "Active Bass Control", but it is principally the same as bass management.

audioferret

« Reply #47 on: 3 Mar 2009, 07:07 pm »
The NAD is a good choice. Note that the IHF dynamic power figures do not compare directly with the Outlaw's Average power output rating.  The Outlaw's 100WPC in stereo is comparable with the NAD's stereo rating of 100WPC.  The Outlaw retails at almost $700, the NAD at $800.  Without a side-by side comparison, I have no real opinion on which is the better choice.  Both have excellent reputations.  The NAD will be more flexible if you want to expand to other uses.  Do you intend to use it for video and surround-sound/HT?

Jeff Ward

« Reply #48 on: 3 Mar 2009, 10:05 pm »
I wouldn't have said much at all if it weren't for the presupposition that' I'm some kind of idiot in the original reply. I think that the label "bass management" reeks of marketing hype and suggests that the receiver does something more than sum and provide a low-pass output. If it's not a DTS home theater receiver, that's about the extent of bass management-- a feature that most quality subs provide anyway. I have been interested in Outlaw's new preamp (if it ever comes out) but I feel like the big push here for subwoofers and "bass management" as if they were somehow a value-added proposition compared to more minimalist amp/source combination. More is not always better-- in fact, it's frequently worse.

One of the nice things/disadvantages of the MMGs is that they do tend to amplify any weaknesses in the associated equipment in the signal chain. It makes it easier to make judgments about the relative merits of equipment. Dealing with separates makes upgrades and improvements of over the long haul easier, and the rush to recommend receivers because they have "more features" reminds me of the ancient times when I was a mid-fi salesman at Sun Stereo. I wasn't expecting the same sort of mindset around here, but there are a lot of corners to this "circle."

Biamping, particularly biamping with an active crossover is a separate matter. The MMGs (and Van Alstine amp) were purchased to replace a pair of studio monitors with built-in biamping (Mackie). I don't need to be "schooled" about biamping; my new MMGs sound better than the biamp set-up they replace. This is partially due to the more simplified "frequency management" of a simple 6db crossover network rather than a cascade of chip-amps and LC networks.

I love the speakers, and I like them even better with a sub. But the sub is far from essential, and not necessarily the most cost effective approach to good sound. I think having a nice clean/neutral amp like the Insight 250 was the better use of my money. Because I can afford both, I have both. But if I had to make a choice I certainly would not choose a cheaper receiver and sub over the purchase of a quality amp to match these quality speakers. My "bass management" is included in the sub, and my preamp is a $90 NHT knob in a box.

audioferret

« Reply #49 on: 4 Mar 2009, 04:58 pm »
Good Luck with the MMGs!  Tell us how it goes!

chriscrellin1

« Reply #50 on: 6 Apr 2009, 10:31 pm »
MMG's should be in tomorrow.  I have the Outlaw Audio RR2150 sitting here plugged in just waiting.....Can't wait.....