SVS/Audyssey Dual Sub EQ

Joe_K

SVS/Audyssey Dual Sub EQ
« on: 24 Feb 2009, 03:28 am »
SVS is introducing a new sub EQ system capable of EQing dual subs in either dual combined mode, or dual discrete mode. It will adjust frequency and time domains. It's an joint venture with Audyssey. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts/comments about this type of system? Also, Is there any competition for this type of unit?

http://www.svsound.com/products-parts-subeq.cfm

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/svsound/16738-astounding-new-eq1-subeq-goes-sale.html

Thanks,
Joe

klh

Re: SVS/Audyssey Dual Sub EQ
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2009, 04:12 am »
My understanding is that what really sets this apart is it was specifically designed for measuring and modifying the response of two separate subwoofers simultaneously and does so for up to 32 locations in the room. This allows the user to a) use two subs to flatten the in room response, and b) properly integrate the two to further flatten the response. And, since it uses its own dedicated hardware, it is capable of working to the full extent of the outboard Audyssey box (unlike the Audyssey software in several of today's AVRs which need to share processor chips and might). It's cost is significantly less than that outboard Audyssey box because it addresses two channels instead of 7. The only problem is it does not have user customizable curves like AudyssePro v. 3.0. This means you are stuck with a flat response. If you want a house curve to boost the low end bass, your best option is to be sure you have an AVR or Pre/Pro that has Audyssey MultEQ XT/PRO v.3.0 along with Dynamic EQ.

Joe_K

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2009, 04:35 am »
klh,
Thanks for the reply,
The house curve thing is new to me being a long time 2 channel guy w/o tone controls. Seems like the HT people like a house curve. I can understand some bass boost, but most curves I've seen also roll down the treble??
JK

stereocilia

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2009, 04:48 am »
It's nice to have more options for this kind of device.  I can think of only a few competitors: DSPeaker Anti-mode 8033, Velodyne SMS-1, and Behringer FBQ [can't remember the model number], all of which have some limitations.

Joe_K

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2009, 05:09 am »
Thanks Stereocilia,
Mike used to sell a unit too. With stereo subs, most of the mentioned units I would want two of. With daisy chained subs probably less an issue?
Aside from house curves, what other options would you want?
JK

klh

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2009, 07:34 am »
I don't care for dropping off the high end with a house curve. The use a low end house curve rests on the idea that most people do not hear lower frequencies as well as middle to upper frequencies and the ability to hear lower frequencies diminishes as the frequency drops. This has the effect of causing a flat response to sound like it lacks bass. Being able to customize your response allows you to slowly increase the low end response as the frequency drops such that it sounds flat to you in your room at your main seated position. This devise does not allow one to create that house curve, but it does correct for multiple seated positions simultaneously. DynamicEQ in some modern AVRs with MultEQ XT or PRO cause a low end house curve to increase in magnitude the quieter the output. Turn up the volume and the house curve becomes more and more shallow. This plays on the idea that our low end sensitivity increases disproportionately as SPL increases. For most, this should be sufficient but it is generic thus it is based on how the average person hears. Thankfully it is also defeatable. MultEQ Pro v. 3.0 allows for actual user defined customizable curves, which of course is specific to you, but requires extra equipment or the hiring of professionals to create the curve in your room. The problem her is that curve is the same for all SPL. If I had this last setup, I would want multiple custom curves to choose from depending on preference, what I was listening to, and how loud I was playing the music or movies.

stereocilia

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2009, 09:50 pm »
Off topic, but I'm guessing that level-dependent loudness countours have not caught on because even if the Fletcher-Munson curve is correctly equalized, the ear-brain still detects a mismatch between the actual level and the frequency response. 

Maybe if the compression and distortion products of the ear were also simulated then listening at lower-than-live levels would sound closer to what live levels actually sound like?

Joe_K

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2009, 01:54 am »
Off topic, but I'm guessing that level-dependent loudness contours have not caught on because even if the Fletcher-Munson curve is correctly equalized, the ear-brain still detects a mismatch between the actual level and the frequency response. 

Maybe if the compression and distortion products of the ear were also simulated then listening at lower-than-live levels would sound closer to what live levels actually sound like?

klh and stereocilia,

Thanks for the comments,
It looks like a easy way to setup two subs (albeit a little expensive) Every once in a while I think of trying some type of sub EQ.

JK