Trumpet interconnect

Alsatian

Trumpet interconnect
« on: 6 Dec 2003, 06:51 pm »
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a Trumpet phono stage and was reading Michael Fremer's Stereophile review.  He mentions that interconnects should be kept short because of the capacitance of the unit.  Do you have any comments or recommendations?  Thanks.

PS: I am looking for a balanced, warm sounding, top-of-the-line phono stage (warmer than the Pass Ono, which I am familiar with - I'm sure you realize how hard it is to compare phono stages).  Is that a good description of the Trumpet?

Paul Bujold

tianguis

Interconnects?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2003, 08:16 pm »
Paul:
     I believe he was referring to the length of interconnects between step-up transformers and the Trumpet, not between the Trumpet and pre. That's where capacitance becomes an issue.
      The Trumpet has very balanced sound. Warm? I don't know about that. It's fast, detailed and accurate without introducing any artificial warmth. It certainly sounds "warmer" than lots of others, but they probably are introducing false brightness.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

hagtech

Trumpet interconnect
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2003, 04:11 am »
Yeah, the short cables was between stepup and phono stage.  Keep this in mind, a typical 1:10 step has a 1:100 reflected impedance ratio.  One foot of cable on the output side looks like a hundred feet of cable sitting right on the cart.  That's why the low capacitance design of the Trumpet is more accommodating of wide bandwidth than other phono stages.

Warm?  I'd say more "open" than anything else.  The Trumpet will not add any artificial euphony to your music.  

Thanks for your interest!

jh :)

Alsatian

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2003, 08:31 pm »
Thanks to all for the quick response.