Issues using iPod Touch as Remote

AudioCat

Issues using iPod Touch as Remote
« on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:14 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Recently, I made changes to my system to switch from a Mac Mini/Squeezebox transport to a Mac Mini/Apogee Duet.  Primarily, I did this because I was tired of the Squeezebox/SqueezeCenter interface for controlling the music library and its klugey album art management.  Using the Mini/Duet combo allows me to use iTunes as the interface but the switch also provided a huge sonic improvement.  To say I was shocked at how much of an improvement gained is a huge understatement as the difference was not subtle, at all.  The soundstage opened up, the lows gained muscle, the mids were more defined and refined and the highs much smoother. A musician friend who listened to a comparison between the two said the music through the Apogee sounded more natural.  At $500, the Apogee might be the best purchase I've made in my system.  8)

Anyway, this post is to ask for feedback from others who may be using the iPod Touch as a remote in an Apple-based system.  I am a little disappointed with it, at the moment, and hope someone may have some advice on how to workaround these issues.   The biggest problem is the album artwork from iTunes is not displaying in the Remote application consistently.  For instance, in the Album list view, only the first 10 albums or so will display.  One time, the artwork did display completely in the Album list but would not display in Now Playing.   Sometimes, if I exit Remote then relaunch it, the album artwork will show in Now Playing. I don't think I've ever seen the Album list have complete artwork at the same time as being able to view it in Now Playing.  Additionally, the Now Playing doesn't always update with the current song playing.  I can switch songs using the iPod but the Now Playing window may not update with the new song info. Sometimes it does update so the behavior is very inconsistent.

The connection to the library is frequently dropped, as well.  In the Settings, I have "Stay Connected" set to On.

The Search function doesn't work.  I can type in the query but when I click on "Search" I never get any results.

Has anyone else seen these issues? I suspect it might be (but hope it isn't) network issues.  My router is an older 802.11b Netgear.  The Mini, my MacBook and the iPod are connected wirelessly.  I never had any issues with drop outs feeding the Squeezebox and all other devices on the network work flawlessly.  Even when the iPod exhibits its symptoms, I can connect to the Mini remotely from my MacBook using Chicken of the VNC and control it and iTunes, flawlessly.

Thanks!

low.pfile

Re: Issues using iPod Touch as Remote
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2009, 10:39 am »
audiocat,

your wireless network speed,that is the likely cause. I have a system which is bottlenecked with an older 802.11g server but no painful delay.

I use a 1st Gen Touch iPod with the PPC G5 server....the response is very fast for song control when using the Remote app. Though my wireless network is the faster Airport Extreme with 802.11n. The images load after scrolling and stopping on a certain album. When using the Remote app Search function, as soon as you begin typing any item in the library matching the letters input appears immidiately. See Video below.

here are the speeds as I found out online:
  802.11b up to 11 Mbps (actual is around 6 Mbps)
  802.11g up to 54 Mbps  (actual is around 25-30)
  802.11n at 100 Mbps (actual ??)

Problems I have with the touch/remote app:

- Occasionally, When the ipod touch goes to sleep (auto-lock setting=on) the play time view on the touch will be frozen. Though I can change songs and/or ff /pause/ rewind. My fix for this is to power off/on the touch and it goes back to normal

- Rarely, the album art will not update when the album or new song changes. maybe happens 5% of the time

Maybe this quick video demo will give an idea of the response time on my network with 1st Gen ipod. Sorry about the focus and messy video.... a one take deal and first demo ever made. crunching the vid size down was a pain. really poor quality now.

Touch Demo Video

cheers, ed

AudioCat

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2009, 01:30 pm »
Hey Ed,

Thanks so much for that demo!  It was very helpful...although I did end up with speaker envy seeing your Devore's.  :icon_lol:  The Search function displayed on your unit is definitely not happening in my scenario. It seems my network is responsive enough for changing the songs but not for getting past Search and artwork display latencies.  Looks like I will need to do a router upgrade, after all, to get full use of the iPod as a remote.

Do you know of any other apps that control iTunes on the Touch?

Thanks, again!

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2009, 02:13 pm »
Hey Ed,

Thanks so much for that demo!  It was very helpful...although I did end up with speaker envy seeing your Devore's.  :icon_lol:  The Search function displayed on your unit is definitely not happening in my scenario. It seems my network is responsive enough for changing the songs but not for getting past Search and artwork display latencies.  Looks like I will need to do a router upgrade, after all, to get full use of the iPod as a remote.

Thanks, again!

Great demo, Ed!

Both Remote Buddy and Signal can control iTunes from a Touch/iPhone. Unfortunately, I've used both in the past (before Remote was released) and neither was as seamless as Remote (and neither are free).

pardales

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2009, 03:01 pm »
I use a Touch as a remote and the speed/artwork retrieval/internet access are all good. Sounds like it might be a network related issue you are having. 

low.pfile

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2009, 07:20 pm »

Thanks, again!

Crimson already mentioned them. I've also used them both before Remote was available. Remote is the winner. Is a faster wireless router a possibility for you?

BTW, I use netTunes with my macbook to control iTunes remotely much more than my touch/remote. Someday I will upgrade to Leopard and use OS X's Screen Sharing for iTunes control, since nettunes is not compatible with Leopard. I am a very late adopter when it comes to OSs-not in any hurry.

cheers, ed

jaspal kallar

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2009, 11:34 pm »
I wonder if you can do "coverflow" view with the ipod Touch & remote?

low.pfile

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2009, 11:41 pm »
I wonder if you can do "coverflow" view with the ipod Touch & remote?

Unfortunately you cannot use the Coverflow mode with the remote app. that would need quite a bit of graphics resources and bandwidth.  Funny I rarely use Coverflow even in iTunes....too easy to miss stuff flying by.