DSD File Manipulation

Housteau

DSD File Manipulation
« on: 16 Feb 2009, 04:07 pm »
I had a few questions about server based applications.  At this passed CES (The Show) I had the chance to work with Ray Kimbers DSD and Isomike recording techniques at the VMPS Live vs Recorded demo, and was very impressed by this the DSD format.  I was lead to believe by the recording technicians that it is not that simple to just convert over to WAV files, or to manipulate the files within the DSD format itself.  I have been doing some research and have read about Disk Welder Bronze (supplied with Tascams DSD HD recorder) and Sony's Sonic stage mastering software included with their Vaio computers, and see that is does not appear to be that difficult to do.  Am I missing something here?  Is it that it may be easy to do, but very difficult to do without a loss of quality.

More than likely I will be working with DSD once again for the 2010 Show and will want to be more prepared.  I have been thinking about a laptop configured to serve as a very small server with the capability of DSD file manipulation.  Does anyone have experience with the Sony Vaio line and the sound quality of their various digital out options?