Chess program for newbie

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Chess program for newbie
« on: 16 Feb 2009, 12:44 am »
I have been teaching my oldest son how to play chess and he really enjoys it.   :thumb:

Anybody have a recommendation for a good pc based chess game?

This way he can play and practice when I am not available.

Thanks,

George

srclose

Re: Chess program for newbie
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2009, 01:03 am »
I've found ChessMaster sufficiently frustrating; it's been around a long time.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2009, 01:05 am »
Depends on what you want it to do... I have Fritz, which is a nice program with a lot of features. For a new person, maybe not so important (-And the thing kills me, which makes me not want to play it often)

I highly suggest you try pogo.com. Its free and its a great place to go to play against others, and watch better people play. You get ranked up or down as you play people of higher or lower ranks. So once you have played enough to get your rank assessed, it will help you find someone to play at your own skill level. There is always a large group available to play. Or you can play a computer opponent. The big bonus of this is that as you play, you accrue tokens then you can put them up for a raffle to win real cash... all in all a great website.

There is a book I read a while back that really helped me get better its called Complete Book of Chess Strategy: Grandmaster Techniques from A to Z . Once the fundamentals are down, this helped shape the strategy for me.

-Tony

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2009, 01:39 am »
About six months ago I bought a new Toshiba laptop.  Not being much of a laptop guy, I've only turned it on a few times, but as I recall Vista does have a chess program.  I played it a couple times and thought it was pretty decent both in skill and graphics.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2009, 01:50 am »
Probably should have mentioned that my son is 7 years old.   :duh:

George

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2009, 02:04 am »
I know Chess Master and whatever it is on Vista both allow you to adjust the skill level.  So whether you're just starting out, or are quite skilled, you can set it up accordingly.