"Nights in Rodanthe"

Bigfish

"Nights in Rodanthe"
« on: 15 Feb 2009, 02:32 am »
Nights in Rodanthe stars Diane Lane and Richard Gere.  I watched this drama/love story with my wife tonight.  Lane and Gere are pros and there talent shows through in this film.  While the acting is very good the story, especially how quickly they fall in love is quite unbelievable.  It may be a decent rental to watch with your significant other as I did.  2.75 out of 5 stars.

Ken

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: "Nights in Rodanthe"
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2009, 04:26 am »
A Valentine's Day nookie movie? aa

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2009, 02:02 pm »
Yup, watched it last night (2/14). A little unbelievable that it was so much more than just a casual fling that one night. After the letters you could understand the "falling in love" part, but at their age I doubt that a one nighter would result in something so committed and dramatic. Still, a good movie to watch with the wife (nitpicking aside).

Enjoy,
Bob

rodge827

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2009, 10:00 pm »
Gents,

Yes I got roped into this one too :roll:. Today was the first time this weekend my wife and I were alone. In my opinion a total waste of time  :duh:. Any one of the sub plots, if done properly could have made a  more interesting and realistic story. There just wasn't any real connection to the characters.

Just my .02.   

2 out of 5

Rodge

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2009, 10:37 am »
 :thumbdown:

I can't remember the last time I felt this unattached to the characters in a film. The only one I could empathize with was the man Richard Gere's character drove out to see after his wife's surgery.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2009, 10:50 am »
I still like looking at Diane Lane :thumb:

For that alone the movie gets 2 of 5.  Ultimately, Ken/BigFish's 2.75 seems about the right score for it.

I've seen worse for and from my $4.99 Comcast On-Demand and I've often watched better, too :)

John

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2009, 12:51 pm »
I still like looking at Diane Lane

Unfaithful is a much better movie for that, though :D

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:16 pm »
I can't stand Richard Gere...

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:43 pm »
This movie was OK, no tangible passion or fire.  
I've mostly found Gere to be a rather bland and one trick pony actor.  He seems a prime example of how "Good Looks" can be a true asset in life.  "Unfaithful" was Lane's most memorable performance to me.  She probably won't have that appeal again but I do appreciate a sense of authenticity I get from her as an aging female actor in hollywood.

You beat me to it Phil, good to know I'm not the only one.  He's alright, I'll watch him but I almost always feel he brings little to the table other than not harming the movie in most respects. 

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:54 pm »
I still like looking at Diane Lane :thumb:

I usually feel the same way, but I have to admit, she's not holdin' up so good under the blu-ray these days....there were some scenes where I was really surprised how much more worn she looked. Still better than I can get, though lol

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2009, 02:04 pm »
The perils of aging - there's a certain grace about her, even if the youthful beauty is now lost.

Put me in the Richard Gere/I can do without him camp, too.

John