New 10CC "Original Soundtrack" reissue issue

marknoir

New 10CC "Original Soundtrack" reissue issue
« on: 5 Feb 2009, 10:32 pm »
Hello fellow circlers!

I recently got a brand new 10CC reissue, on 180 g vinyl, of "Original Soundtrack". About $20 US, pressed in EU. My original US Mercury from the 80's sounded very good, but, being bought at the local thrift shop, had it's share of clicks, pops and mild scratches. So with trembling hands I placed the new album on my Oracle, and lowered my cherished Koetsu on it. At first it sounded pretty good. Right away I could tell that surface was quiet. But as I listened more, I realised that the treble level was WAY too much, not only that - most tracks are absolutely UNLISTENABLE! Whenever singer would pronounce an "S" sound, it would sound like Donald Duck!!!! Severe over-modulation and distortion! I thought, OK, so Koetsus are not the greatest trackers, and replaced it with Madrigal Carnegie I, which is very good in that department - SAME STORY!

Then I remembered hearing exactly the same problem with a french reissue of Pink Floyd, a box set, where the same "S" over-modulation and distortion can be heard throughout the first side of "Meddle" ( I didn't have a chance to hear the rest of those albums ). What is it with these new pressings? All I can say is - if anybody out there has a different experience, please share. Right now I'm trying to return this album, and if it fails - well, $20 will not break me, and at least I'm in the know now.

Wayner

Re: New 10CC "Original Soundtrack" reissue issue
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2009, 10:54 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. What label is it on?

Wayner

lofreek

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2009, 04:04 pm »
Lots of reissues suck.

This happens to be one of my favorite records, and it has a typically 70's analog top end, which I characterize as slightly soft and musical. The sibilance should caress the ear, not assault the ear. Treble boost is a no - no. I don't understand why a soft top end is considered a deficiency which needs correction, rather than it being considered the INTENT OF THE ARTIST!

marknoir

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:17 pm »
Exactly! (about a nice "analog" top end)

Reissue is on a blue european "Mercury" label, back cover has a bar code, and red print underneath: :Super Deluxe", 0600753129586. Front outer clear bag has a sticker: "Back to Black, 60th Vinyl Anniversary, Premium Audiophile Pressing On Heavyweight 180 Gram Vinyl In All Original Packaging!". I bought it on Ebay, but they are available everywhere.

Good intentions gone really bad...

I'm afraid to get anything else new. Perhaps there is or should be a database of reissue reviews?

marknoir

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:23 pm »
Lots of reissues suck.

This happens to be one of my favorite records, and it has a typically 70's analog top end, which I characterize as slightly soft and musical. The sibilance should caress the ear, not assault the ear. Treble boost is a no - no. I don't understand why a soft top end is considered a deficiency which needs correction, rather than it being considered the INTENT OF THE ARTIST!

The sibilance is not just LOUD, or sharp, it is SEVERELY distorted, because album can not accomodate that level. It sounds exactly like (I stand corrected) Daffy duck!

ricmon

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:28 pm »
Iv'e noticed this same beaivor on two of my Charles Mingus Atlantic reissues.  Tonight at Noon and Blues & Roots.

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:46 pm »
There is a Japanese re-issue of this album avalible, but it is $50 from folks like MusicDirect.....if you need it that badly...

I too like a few songs on this album and it is rare to find anywhere, even in used record shops.

Wayner

marknoir

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:50 pm »
There is a Japanese re-issue of this album avalible, but it is $50 from folks like MusicDirect.....if you need it that badly...

I too like a few songs on this album and it is rare to find anywhere, even in used record shops.

Wayner

No. not that bad... I see them from time to time in thrift shops and in Princeton. If I see something cheap I'll get one for you.

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:52 pm »
Sweet!

Wayner  :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:56 pm »
Amen!  I just can't believe how we fall prey to the remaster/reissue scams.  They're not scams in that they are indeed truly retouched or remastered, but scams in that, in many cases the product is worse than the original, to anyone's ears, pumped up for the boom box/ipod crowd, and they take advantage of the huge baby boomer population that want their classics released again.  What's worse, there are 1 out of 10 reissues that sound great (Steve Hoffman remasters in most part, etc.) but we have to wade through the other 90%.  Often they are masked in "200 gram virgin vinyl" or "taken directly off the newly dusted off master tapes", which gives us a reason to assume the product sounds better in today's hi-def world.   :duh:

Its a travesty that a classic like "Original Soundtrack" is botched.  Eric (Stewart) always kept their sound a little edgy anyway, so adding a sharper edge would clearly make their stuff unlistenable on resolving systems.  ARGH!!  The things we do for love (of a good sounding recording).

On cd:  The "unreleased" (but findable) DCC Gold remastered copy is very nice, BTW, but still not quite up to par with the original vinyl release.  The MoFi isn't bad either.

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:43 pm »
Ted,

It may be as simple as the record making companies that are getting back into vinyl just don't have the expertise to pull vinyl off. I think we all know that when it's done right...damn, that's good! But when it's done bad, anyone for Frisbee?

Wayner

marknoir

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2009, 08:59 pm »
I have burned the most horrible parts on CD-R, followed by the same parts from the old record. The difference is night and day. Even without "Daffy Duck" distortion, new album is dead, dry, and generally nasty sounding. I will include a copy with return (much good will that do for future pressings!). Mastering is not an easy job, but one does not have to be a rocket scientist to at least produce a distortion-free record.

I have a first pressing of Iron Butterfly "In-a-gadda-da-vida", on yellow ATCO, in mint condition, and it is as unlistenable and unplayable as this new 10CC. I guess, it's back to thrift shops!

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2009, 09:04 pm »
Thanks for saving me the 20 bucks!  One of my favorite records too....

I couldn't agree with Wayner more.  Lots of the new LP's being pressed sound
marginal at best and they are just capitalizing on the market enthusiasm.

Ugh.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2009, 12:42 am »
Yes, new vinyl quality is spotty today. I attribute the reason to lack of competition.

Most of the vinyl pressing plants dried up long ago. Most that survived did barely. With vinyl sales up significantly over the past few years now, those few plants are running at capacity - and turning out spotty product as a result.

If the vinyl mini-resurgence continues, new plants will be built, more capacity will be created and more/better choices will be welcomed to the fold. Folks will need to compete on price and quality of product...and the consumer will win out.

That's how 'free' markets work. Demand fosters greater supply and competition. Wonderful invention, really - but in the meantime us 'early adopters' (ha - a 100 year old technology and we're early adopters :icon_lol: ) catch a bit more of crap with our software  :)

John

orthobiz

« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2009, 12:30 am »
Check out Michael Fremer's non-Stereophile site.
He reviews vinyl only.

http://musicangle.com/

10cc is not on there. But The Yes Album on Rhino having poor sound was correctly identified in his review.

Paul

marknoir

« Reply #15 on: 8 Feb 2009, 01:10 am »
Thanks, I've just his review of that "Yes" album. BUT, and this is a big BUT, he says it still is LISTENABLE, just not as good as the originals. This 10CC is simply UNLISTENABLE, defective, at best. They have to be stopped!  :evil:

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 8 Feb 2009, 12:36 pm »
The Yes Album is listenable, I have it an it does have some of the original sound. I would think for a cutter, it would be a bi*ch to reproduce someone else's undocumented "tweaks" while cutting a new album, also with the equipment they had back in the early 70's.

I scored the 10CC album on ickbay today for $6. They rated it -NM so we'll see how that turns out.

Wayner

orthobiz

« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2009, 03:31 pm »

I scored the 10CC album on ickbay today for $6. They rated it -NM so we'll see how that turns out.

Wayner

The "new" 10cc or the old?

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2009, 05:35 pm »
Original pressing. There were new pressings selling for 20+, as well.

Wayner

marknoir

« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2009, 05:46 pm »
Cool! Let us know how it sounds.

BTW, way back, when I was young, rich and famous (right!), I could swear I saw at least one "Original Soundtrack" album, where the screen was punched out, and the inner sleeve had the cowboy artwork. Am I dreaming?