anyone heard the Harbeth 40.1's

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: anyone heard the Harbeth 40.1's
« Reply #40 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:50 pm »
I don't think my wife would go for those foam pads glued to the ceiling.

My gut says a wife wasn't involved.   :D

sts9fan

« Reply #41 on: 6 Feb 2009, 04:15 pm »
Oh this thread is a great noteable quoteable of audiophile arrogance

PS:  I'm really tired of guys like you with marginal systems and marginal experience
telling me I don't know what I'm doing.

nice

If I did bother to publish measurements, I would have a ton of "Hobbyists" still tell me I don't know what I'm doing and my measurements aren't what they've done, blah blah.

Why hobbyist in quotes? Are you saying they are not really hobbyists? 
I am tired when "Professional" reviewers say what is a good deal when they get a discount and a tax write off. 

goskers

« Reply #42 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:27 pm »
This thread has become close to the same seemingly endless debate on measurements vs hearing.  There are measurements, many of them being the industry norm, that don't correlate at all to what we hear.  Does this mean that measurements are worthless?  No, it means that we aren't necessarily measuring the correct things.  Even if it can be measured, does that mean it's audible?  If it's audible, does it detract or enhance the music we are hearing?  These are all common questions that we all deal with being audio nuts.  I would urge anyone who really wants to learn to pick up the work by Floyd Toole or Dr. Geddes.   They have both done incredible amounts of work in assembling books that cut through a lot of the bull.

One thing people need to realize is that music is art, recording is art, recording engineers are artists, playback and sound reproduction is not art. 
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2009, 06:40 pm by goskers »

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
« Reply #43 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:23 pm »

The true anechoic response of the speaker is really quite flat so the room is responsible for the peak or hump as you put it. Who uses cables/IC's to correct for bass anomolies?  :roll:
I think it's obvious you don't like the speaker. I posted REG's in room response and you counter with another that is not so favourable. Take any speaker and the same differences will occur. Different rooms = different response.

I don't listen in an anechoic chamber, do you?

Of course not. Do you realize that most, if not all speaker manufacturers use anechoic response as a way to measure their speakers frequency response in a completely dead environment?  Of course in-room measurement is where we, the listeners' evaluate its character. You made a point of showing a graph where the response had a bump or two in the lower frequencies as if this was some anomoly specific to the M40.1
The OP asked "Anyone heard the M40.1?"  You haven't even heard the speaker.
I've owned the M40 for about 3 years. BTW, I have no problem if you don't like to sit nearfield or that you have issues with plain large boxes, to each his own.

jhm731

« Reply #44 on: 7 Feb 2009, 08:18 am »
[I've owned the M40 for about 3 years. BTW, I have no problem if you don't like to sit nearfield or that you have issues with plain large boxes, to each his own.

Mahalo nui loa. 8)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #45 on: 7 Feb 2009, 02:14 pm »
I find the squiggly lines (measurements) that often accompany various speaker reviews to be very fetching looking....but, ultimately worthless to me.  Aside from efficiency/ sensitivity measurements (which give me some idea if my amp and room are potential pairings for it) - they don't tell me anything and I've taken time to understand these squiggly lines over time. 

Measurements do give me false promise of a particular reviewers objectivity and thoroughness....which may or may not be the case in actuality.

Aside from that I care about the size (for aesthetic reasons) and weight of each speaker (my office/listening room is 32 steps up from the street....even tho I sell hand trucks, it's my back that takes the abuse on the haul up the steps).

The rest are how it sounds to me.  In an era of less audiophile-oriented dealers, your taking a bit higher leap of faith in buying speakers now.  Then again, I heard enough speakers at old time stereo dealers in the past that sounded incalculably different in my home than their listening area at the store - the Vandersteen 1c comes to mind that way....how I missed that 'hot' tweeter at the shop I won't even know. 

How the 'hot' tweeter went away in the much deader room of new owner, I helped install them for him, is yet another mystery I'll never fully understand)

Probably the only measurements of any kind that truly matter to me are analog/vinyl related.  Cartridge inductance figures, when provided, will give me some idea about resistive loading.  Beyond that, the need for measurements start getting pretty thin...but DO look very pretty  aa

John