Worst case of infection I have seen

Lyndon

Re: Worst case of infection I have seen
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2009, 06:09 pm »
jqp said:
Last night I backed up all 10GB of her pics and music and any docs to a USB drive I had her buy. Now she has a backup drive!

Today I am repartitioning and installing XP - her key code is conveniently located on the sticker on her case. Listening to a little music

I'm with you on that one, jqp!
But my laptop crap was that I had a pretty recent Dell laptop, that for whatever reason was having all sorts of parts dying on me last summer.  First the cd/dvd drive, and then the hard drive.  I had paid for the extra warranty, so I had
to jump through all their hoops to order the new parts, and send back the old ones after mirroring and backing up my data...got it all running good again, and then my home was broken into the first day back to teaching, and along with the big flat panel tv, many mp3 players, high end audio earbuds, digital camera, they took the Dell. :cry:
Which started me on the HP Compaq trail of tears...and I thought I had purchased my XP Pro from Dell separately from the laptop purchase, but then MS said I couldn't use it again to put in the new replacement laptop.  Two calls
to MS India, and they finally gave me  a new key. :evil:
I've got a brand new tower computer sitting under my desk, an experiment with an AMD chipset, and...Ubuntu.
Jesus, I have not had any time in the past three months to use it for one application.  I was hoping to set up a RAID
and make it into some type of home theater PC...but...
Now it is time for some loud Hendrix, and clean up time for the Super Bowl party tomorrow, with my Panasonic
Plasma replacement!  Go Kurt Warner!!! (old St. Louis Rams fan...)

Bemopti123

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2009, 06:47 pm »
Hah, here's a good one for all of you...

I run Vista on a Mac Mini native (no Parallels) and it works fine!

I needed a windows box that didn't take up a lot of space, so I bought
a Mac Mini, wiped it clean and just installed Vista as the only operating
system and it runs fantastic!

Haven't had a glitch in six months.

Weird.

Wow.  How Ram do you run?  Any noticeable slow down in HD content?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2009, 11:18 pm »
Wow thats amazing about the Mini running Vista!

Update: the machine is an HP and the Windows image has a recovery feature that only recovers the image for this machine! When I ran the Advanced destructive recovery and rebooted the machine boots to a string of non-ascii characters. Thats it. So she will have to order a set of 8 recovery CDs for this model for $27. Not sure why the reimaging problem but it maybe due to some more corruption from all the trojans/viruses.

Once I see whether the CDs will restore from scratch I will FDisk the drive and recreate the MBR. What a pain.

TONEPUB

« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2009, 11:48 pm »
2gb of ram and it seems to run fine.  However, I'm not running Photoshop or anything
terribly memory intensive.  But in terms of being a stable platform and not crashing
or glitching, it's been great...