Roasting coffee at home

gray49

Re: Roasting coffee at home
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2009, 02:40 am »
Try this one...Intense...Excellent...
Sweet Maria's Moka Kadir Blend...
http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.other.blends.php#SweetMariasMokaKadirBlend2008
Peace...
Stuart

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2009, 04:11 am »
I just wanted to say thanks for your's and the other posts. I always thought home roasting was cost prohibitive due to the $200 or more outlay for a good roaster. But based upon your posting and doing some more research I found many people having great results with air poppers. So I found a Poppery 11 on craigslist for $8 and away we go. I roasted 3 batches today, the two that I extended the roast time on by adding an extension cord are some of the best I have tasted (former Peetnik). Im am looking forward to my first SM order of Kenya AA and Mocha Sanani. Thanks again all for sharing.

Doesn't it make you wonder why every doesn't do this?  Air poppers have occassionaly gotten pricey on ebay.  I pick mine up at thrift stores.  I looked for awhile before finding an original poppery.  It is quite a machine.  As I'm sure you've seen, several enthusiasts use variacs to control the roast.  Then, the hobby intersects with audio!  A variac is a useful tool for diy'ing and firing up old gear.  Mine is a 10A/240V monster that is bare (no case=big danger), so I haven't drug it up to the kitchen.

I got an espresso machine a couple of months ago.  I recently bought some Lavazza to compare grinds.  The Lavazza makes espresso like you buy at most shops.  Fresh roasted beans (that have rested for a couple of days to degas) make a drink that in no way resembles that you can easily buy.  It's like the first time I had good bourbon.  A religious experience.

pj

Nick77

« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:33 pm »

Doesn't it make you wonder why every doesn't do this?  Air poppers have occassionaly gotten pricey on ebay.  I pick mine up at thrift stores.  I looked for awhile before finding an original poppery.  It is quite a machine.  As I'm sure you've seen, several enthusiasts use variacs to control the roast.  Then, the hobby intersects with audio!  A variac is a useful tool for diy'ing and firing up old gear.  Mine is a 10A/240V monster that is bare (no case=big danger), so I haven't drug it up to the kitchen.

I got an espresso machine a couple of months ago.  I recently bought some Lavazza to compare grinds.  The Lavazza makes espresso like you buy at most shops.  Fresh roasted beans (that have rested for a couple of days to degas) make a drink that in no way resembles that you can easily buy.  It's like the first time I had good bourbon.  A religious experience.

pj

[/quote][/quote]

I couldn't agree more, i only wish i hadn't waited so long. I am no stranger to fresh roasted and defiantly insisted on it, but the roaster i bought from did everything just to a full city roast and not quite to the point of bringing out the varietals characteristics. So i now am able to control the roast and get exactly what i want full city+. Of course paying only $5-6 a pound for green beans instead of $10-14 for roasted is a huge blessing. Now i wont mind splurging every now and then for some exotic at $10lb or something. hehe

Nick77

« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2009, 08:59 pm »
Well I just thought I would dig up this old thread and update my roasting rig. After burning up an air popper or two the wife felt sorry for me being barely able to keep up with my coffee usage and has given me the go ahead to buy a roaster. The air popper would barely roast a 1/4lb at a time and I am constantly out of fresh coffee and roasting another 1/4lb. So I will be buying a Behmor home roaster which will roast a pound of coffee at a time.
I was getting some very good results with my current 1400 watt popper but i certainly wont miss this method. I am currently enjoying a Yemen Harasi from SM that is out of this world. I am so enjoying not only picking my favorite beans but roasting to a perfect city+ roast and extracting all the yummy nuances from the varietal. Yup I have totally gone off the deep end and loving my fresh roasted beans with every cup. Get coffee out, not a chance cause nobody can measure up.

The Behmor uses quartz heating and a rotisserie style oven unit and is suppose to roast a mean batch of coffee with very little effort. It has quite of few different roasting profiles to choose from so I will have fun finding out what works best for the Yemen beans. I was able to pick up a refurb unit for $199 instead of the normal price of $299.

Here is a shot of the beast which is in route via ups as we speak. I cant wait to roast more than a 1/4lb at a time. Now I will finally be able to let the beans rest for more than 1 hr. hehe

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2009, 09:45 pm »
Wow that's a great price for a major roaster! Good luck and let us know how it works.

Christof

« Reply #25 on: 12 May 2009, 10:09 pm »
The Behmor uses quartz heating and a rotisserie style oven unit and is suppose to roast a mean batch of coffee with very little effort. It has quite of few different roasting profiles to choose from so I will have fun finding out what works best for the Yemen beans. I was able to pick up a refurb unit for $199 instead of the normal price of $299.

Where?  As if I don't have enough on my plate Gray49 has convinced me to try roasting....

bummrush

« Reply #26 on: 12 May 2009, 10:12 pm »
Behmor.com,plus all the green bean places sell the unit,Burman Coffee Traders,Sweet Marias,google green beans, theres a bunch of places,its a very satisfying hobby,Plus the Behmor really works quite well.Like any hobby you can tweak it to your hearts delight,uh sound familiar?

Nick77

« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2009, 10:16 pm »
I think this is the only guy authorized to refurb them. It has a 6 month warrenty instead of 12.

http://shop.chocolatealchemy.com/products/behmor-1600-roaster

He has a waiting list for units still. I waited several weeks but have an air popper to get me by. But it is available new with free shipping and free coffee from numerious vendors.

Mine is supposed to be here on Friday, I will report back.

Christof

« Reply #28 on: 12 May 2009, 10:18 pm »
I think this is the only guy authorized to refurb them. It has a 6 month warrenty instead of 12.

http://shop.chocolatealchemy.com/products/behmor-1600-roaster

He has a waiting list for units still. I waited several weeks but have an air popper to get me by. But it is available new with free shipping and free coffee from numerious vendors.

Mine is supposed to be here on Friday, I will report back.

Thx...  :thumb:

bummrush

« Reply #29 on: 12 May 2009, 10:26 pm »
Also having that waiting list is actually a good sign,,,,shows the units in use are up and running good and not needing to be fixed and returned to use.But 199 for a refurnished is a crazy bargain.Next thing you know we will be roasting cocoa beans,roasting coffee,and cranking some awesome tunes on top of it all!

turkey

« Reply #30 on: 19 May 2009, 12:30 pm »
I guess I am off the beaten track on this one...

The houses in my development do not have range hoods that vent to the outdoor. It just wasn't one of the things I was thinking of when I was house shopping, but I will surely pay attention from now on.

It gets quite cold here in the winter, so roasting in the garage or outdoors is of limited use. what I wound up getting is a Zach & Dani's roaster. (They're now called Nesco.)

It does a good job of roasting for me and my house doesn't get smoky. I know that there are other roasters that are better in terms of roasting faster, but this one suits me pretty well.

I can start it running and head into the living room to read while it's roasting. First and second crack are loud enough so that I can hear them over the motor of the roaster. A roast takes 20-22 minutes, and things happen slowly enough that you don't need split-second timing.