Tonearm "buzz"

analog97

Re: Tonearm "buzz"
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2009, 05:47 pm »
Abe, WGH et al:

Of course I have a Bugle and Ripper (built as a phono pre-amp).  I took the excellent suggestion and put the Ripper in.  Yes, the tone arm buzz/hum was still there.  The problem is definitely not in my Cornet2 build.

Let's take a step back...I have a "modest" amount of noise coming from the speakers with phono playback.  I also have a buzz/hum when I touch the tonearm or tonearm wires.  This does NOT interfere with my appreciation of the music, BUT I am in search of trying to get my analog playback as silent as CD/SACD.  I don't even know if this is possible, but I keep trying.  Can anyone out there tell me that they get less or the same amount of audible "noise/buzz/hum" when the play LP's as compared to SACD??

Tanks to all for your help.  Best regards!! :D

amandarae

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2009, 06:11 pm »
analog97,

To, me, it seems that you are grounding the tonearm when you touch it.  If you connect a wire to the motor of the TT so that you have a ground from where TT power plug is connected.  When you are holding this wire, touch the tonearm and see if it still buzz?  If not, then it could be that you are experiencing a ground loop.  Now, ground the chassis of the tt to this wire, then touch the tonearm again and see if the buzz disappears.

In my system, in between tracks or when playing or when idle, it is hum/buzz free.  My speakers are 100 dB efficient.  If there's a noise (hum oe buzz), I am pretty sure I will hear it.  BTW, I am only using 1.5 watt amplifier.  So yes, I could claim that my vinyl playback is quiet.

regards,

Abe
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2009, 07:27 pm by amandarae »

analog97

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2009, 12:17 am »
analog97,

To, me, it seems that you are grounding the tonearm when you touch it.  If you connect a wire to the motor of the TT so that you have a ground from where TT power plug is connected.  When you are holding this wire, touch the tonearm and see if it still buzz?  If not, then it could be that you are experiencing a ground loop.  Now, ground the chassis of the tt to this wire, then touch the tonearm again and see if the buzz disappears.

Abe,

I also took my VPI MK IV apart and tried grounding the large/heavy metal base, but nothing changed.  However, this large metal slab is not connected to a motor or any metal-metal to tonearm.   I have that "SAMA", a stand alone motor assembly.  No parts of anything touch this.  The buzz/hum I experience is there only when I touch the tonearm, so during playback it is pretty quiet.  I am going to quit for now!!  BTW, I am listening to some David Gilmour right now and let me tell you, that RIPPER phono pre-amp is also an unbelievable Hagerman creation!!  No, not as sweet as the Cornet2, but I absolutely love that little beast! 

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2009, 01:21 am »
I am going to quit for now!!

That sounds like a plan. When I am stumped I take a break and wait for the epiphany. I agree with Abe, you should have a very, very quiet background even with the volume at insane levels. I have to turn up the AVA Insight pre-amp to 3:00 before I hear the tube hum.

BTW I also use the Goldring G1042 with the Cornet2. I like the combo, what are your impressions compared to the Denon 103? Sam Tellig said he uses an "out-of-fashion Goldring 1042" one in his systems in the Feb. 2009 Stereophile.

Wayne

analog97

« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2009, 01:57 am »
BTW I also use the Goldring G1042 with the Cornet2. I like the combo, what are your impressions compared to the Denon 103? Sam Tellig said he uses an "out-of-fashion Goldring 1042" one in his systems in the Feb. 2009 Stereophile.

Wayne,

I really like the Goldring 1042.  It is an excellent cartridge, probably due to the Geiger S stylus.  To my ears, the 1042 might have a better high frequency response and improved control over sibilance than the Denon 103, but I still prefer the Denon overall in terms of slam and presence.  The Denon is just a more natural sounding cart to me, but it requires more work/tweeking due to the low-output

In my system, in between tracks or when playing or when idle, it is hum/buzz free.  My speakers are 100 dB efficient.  If there's a noise (hum oe buzz), I am pretty sure I will hear it.  BTW, I am only using 1.5 watt amplifier.  So yes, I could claim that my vinyl playback is quiet.

regards,

Abe

Abe,

You are in that "high-efficiency" world.  I am not.  I have some big 90db Polk SDA 1.2TL's and need at least 200 watts to drive them.  I would love to hear some really efficient horns driven by a the Cornet2 and a couple fleas!!   I think you are experiencing a lower "sound/noise floor" than I have.  Maybe that bears on why your system is so quiet.

Best wishes all.

WGH

« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2009, 04:10 am »
Thanks for the cartridge comparisons, I was curious. The harman/kardon table has a low mass tonearm so the Goldring cartridge is a good match, at first I was looking at the Denon until it was pointed out to me that the DL-103 is a very low compliance cartridge (5cm/dyne) and works best on a heavier arm, the Goldring at 16cm/dyne works perfectly.

Wayne