Active X-over,feeding passive X-over

drummermitchell

Active X-over,feeding passive X-over
« on: 26 Jan 2009, 05:58 pm »
Hi,I acquired a Bryston 10B-sub X-over on a Audiogon auction.
#1-as my revel 50as have passive Xovers in the cabinets already and I know active X-overs are meant
to use with speakers without passive ones in the cabinets.
I wonder if I can still get more improvement out of my sub and speakers(I would be disabling X-over in DD-15),and using the 10b lowpass outputs to DD-15 inputs.
#2-I'd connect 2 cables from my pre pro(outs) to inputs on 10B X-over,10B lowpass outputs to sub inputs,(using my prepro in (stereo direct,.1 is diabled and speakers are set to large)
and 10B highpass outputs to amps(7B-ssts)or not.Hope this all makes sense.
it seems to me,if I can dialer in right I should at least get more quality bottom end and also relieving mains of lowend.I should have the Bryston 10B in a few days,Thanks for any input.

jethro

Re: Active X-over,feeding passive X-over
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2009, 10:23 pm »
If you are using an SP-1.7 or SP-2 with a good source such as a BCD-1, then you might get better
results by running the SP-1.7/2 in bypass mode, connect the outputs to the 10B and then split
the signal at that point to your speakers and sub.

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2009, 12:56 am »
I am using a Arcam v-8 prepro in direct mode which bypasses all digital processing.
And after talking to James I'll be high passing the mains.
so out of my preouts the 10B-sub inputs and then out of lowpass to the sub and highpass outputs to the amps.
I hope this will be nice shocker as the Torus was.I am also waiting for the Bryston 3.0 to check out.
I guess it's a little expensive to see if an active X-over can give me more musicality,but that's why we do this for the music,geez maybe I'd better go buy something for the wife.

ec

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2009, 04:21 am »
If you are using an SP-1.7 or SP-2 with a good source such as a BCD-1, then you might get better
results by running the SP-1.7/2 in bypass mode, connect the outputs to the 10B and then split
the signal at that point to your speakers and sub.

this is exactly what I do with a twist.  I have another sub (actually 4) for the LFE channel.

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2009, 05:35 am »
trial and error can be fun and frustrating.I use to use the digital side with using the sub into the prepro sub in.(which was fine,but of course I wanted more).
 Then I tried 2 cables from preouts  to sub inputs and out on the subs highpass and into the amps,
the sound was quite compressed and I noticed a hum in the sub.
As I have a few dealers I know(not that kind)Chen who owns audio5.1,said try it like this and you'll be surprized.
I took to ycables from preout,one side of each going to sub in and 7B-sst and the same for the otherside.
I couldn't believe how great that sounds so that's where I'm at now+ hopefully stepping up some more
with the 10B.My source I use a Bryston BCD-1(analog out to analog in on my prepro).
53 and still pluggin away,but truly, it sure is fun.