R.E. Designs LNPA 150 Monoblocks - withdrawn

JoshK

Re: R.E. Designs LNPA 150 Monoblocks - withdrawn
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jan 2009, 03:07 pm »
Your Abbey's are done?!  Pray tell.

I imagine that the pro audio driver (B&C 12TBX-something) like current.  Not sure why exactly, but I've heard this time and again, that even despite their hi-eff ratings, which are real, they like some current before they open up. 

mgalusha

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jan 2009, 03:18 pm »
Your Abbey's are done?!  Pray tell.

I imagine that the pro audio driver (B&C 12TBX-something) like current.  Not sure why exactly, but I've heard this time and again, that even despite their hi-eff ratings, which are real, they like some current before they open up. 

That seems to be true, the OTL has plenty of voltage (100W/8R, 70W/4R) but of course is pretty lousy are delivering current. The LNPA's really make them come alive. I've got a little Rotel 1080 that I use for the woofers in my active setup and I've been using it to break them in while I'm not home. Even though the Rotel has 250% more power than the LNPA's it doesn't bring the speakers to life nearly as well. It will play plenty loud but it's quite lacking in attack and isn't anywhere near as good at subtleties, which is why it was used only for the small woofers on the Meadowlarks. I'm going to write something up about the Abbey's soon. They are still naked but have been up and running since last Saturday. I filled all the pocket screw holes last night, 3/8 hardwood dowel and a Japanese flush cut saw took care of that nicely.

GKCox

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2009, 01:28 am »
Hi Mr. Galusha,

New member Greg here.

I'm in the same boat as you just were, though the reasons for considering selling are different.  I purchased a pair of LNPA-150'a from Dan back in about '01 or '02.   Two years ago I had Dan to do the Vishay upgrades, which in reality is much more than just a few resistor up-swaps.   Dan put in new caps, wiring, a slew of better components, etc.   Considering how great the amps were prior to the upgrade, it's pretty difficult to describe how amazing they are now....

However, I've pretty much exited the audio scene for the most part, having sold or in the process of selling most of my gear.  I am now experiencing the same hesitancy as you when it actually comes down to selling the LNPA-150's.   No matter what other gear I 'donate' (sell for a song), deep in my soul I just KNOW I will have huge pangs of regret and possible bouts of headbanging if I part with these monos.  I am probably going to take a step back and reconsider before taking the plunge.       

Just for the heck of it, what do you or anyone else think these upgraded amps in about 8/10 condition (due to age & a few light marks on the top of the chassis) might be able to go for?   I paid about $3500 including the upgrades.

Thanks
Greg

RodMCV

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jan 2009, 02:09 am »
Mike,

I believe thats good thinking!!

Heart and mind connected.

Rod