10 rap songs to change the minds of people who hate rap

jon_010101

Re: 10 rap songs to change the minds of people who hate rap
« Reply #60 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:32 am »
Just picked up Q-tip's new album, The Renaissance... super good thus far!   8)

bunnyma357

« Reply #61 on: 20 Jan 2009, 07:01 am »
Wyclef Jean's "Gone til November" is another really good song.

Jim C

JCL

« Reply #62 on: 20 Jan 2009, 07:39 am »
To anyone who doesn't like Hiphop I strongly recommend 'Five Years in the Factory' by Mcenroe on Vertical Form records.

The lyrics will quickly make you realise what the genre is all about. It's closer to poetry than rock etc.

Listen to the lyrics on this one, it'll have you thinking for weeks. Honestly, it's that good.

sts9fan

« Reply #63 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:10 pm »
You guys know Hip-Hop is not music right? :duh:

Anyway

Rapper are not musicians? Tell that to The Roots.  Full band fantastic live show.

Much less traditional is Galactics latest album "From the Corner to the Block".  They are not a Hip-Hop band but they put out a fantastic Hip-Hop album with so top MCs such as Charlie 2NA and Mr LIF.

I would add Mos Def, Talib Kewli, Madlib, MF DOOM as great NON GANGSTER rapper.
If you think all Hip-Hop is bustin caps they you have no idea.  Its like thinking all classical is the boring. 

Once you got those down move on the Kool Keith aa

Crimson

« Reply #64 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:52 pm »
I don't listen to much (traditional) rap, either. But where would I be without the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against the Machine (and a few others)? If it wasn't for rap...............

BradJudy

« Reply #65 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:34 pm »
While the meat and potatoes of my listening are singer-songwriters and rock, I do enjoy quality rap and hip-hop.  I'm on the younger side of this crowd (although in my 30s, so not exactly young in the world of pop culture) and being a geek I enjoyed my cassettes of Young MC (1989?).  :)

Because of the aforementioned dilution of quality as hip-hop became mainstream, it's a bit discouraging to sift through the current ranks in search for skills and quality.  Some of the older classics have already been mentioned, but I'll add a couple.

Eric B and Rakim were a classic duo in the late 80s and Rakim did some solo work later.  I like Rakim's "The 18th Letter", particularly the title track and "Guess Who's Back". 

KRS One is another classic from the early 90s with a lot of skills.  There's a single album "Retrospective" of his work.

These classics might not be the most accessible, but may be more so than some of the gangster rap days.  That said, Snoop Dogg got famous because he is extremely skilled at rhyming and flowing - a skill that people lost sight of as his career progressed and then went in odd directions.  I also enjoy a lot of Ice Cube's work. 

While their newer albums became pop stuff, The Black Eyed Peas - "Behind the Front" did some jazz-infused work more like the mentioned US3 - Cantaloop.

Atmosphere was mentioned in this thread, so it's worth noting that they put out a free album online.  The lyrical content isn't for moms and kids, but it's well done IMO.  I like the use of horns.  http://www.rhymesayers.com/atmosphere/

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #66 on: 20 Jan 2009, 08:22 pm »
I don't really like Hip hop, but I do like 90's gangsta rap - Ice Cube, Warren G, Snoop, Dr. Dre.

mobileusa

• Industry Participant
  • engulfaudio.com - Audio Dealer
    • engulfaudio
« Reply #67 on: 31 Jan 2009, 06:20 am »
rap is music?..

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #68 on: 13 May 2009, 07:34 pm »
Destined to be a Hip-hop classic :green::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqXi8WmQ_WM

BobM

« Reply #69 on: 13 May 2009, 08:15 pm »
I'm going to do what cable naysayers do all the time ...

I don't have to listen to it to know that I don't like it. It's all crap unless you can show empirical evidence to the contrary using proven double blind testing and actual quantifiable measurements. Nyah, Nyah.  :duh:

Bob

EthanH

« Reply #70 on: 13 May 2009, 08:38 pm »
I don't really like Hip hop, but I do like 90's gangsta rap - Ice Cube, Warren G, Snoop, Dr. Dre.

I laughed when I read this. :)  I grew up in an urban area and liked a lot of hip hop when I was younger.  These days I can't really get into tribe, talib kweli, mos def or whatever else I used to listen to in high school anymore, but I find myself really enjoying 90's gangsta rap when it comes on the radio. :lol:   

A few good albums I wish I still had:

The first Nas album ("Illmatic," I think)
DJ Premier's New York Reality Check
Genius Gza's "Liquid Swords"
DJ Shadow's Endtroducing (not really a rap album.  not at all, actually)

And ditto on the Roots live shows; been to a few, all have been great :thumb: