Balanced cables for BP-20 to Power Pac 120's

GreatDane

Balanced cables for BP-20 to Power Pac 120's
« on: 16 Jan 2009, 11:46 pm »
I've decided to try out balanced cables on my 2 channel system instead of RCA's. Does anyone know exactly what types of connectors I would need to go from my BP-20 to my Power Pac monos? It looks like I would need XLR male (from the BP-20) -> 1/4" phone (into the monos). Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Balanced cables for BP-20 to Power Pac 120's
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2009, 11:51 pm »
I've decided to try out balanced cables on my 2 channel system instead of RCA's. Does anyone know exactly what types of connectors I would need to go from my BP-20 to my Power Pac monos? It looks like I would need XLR male (from the BP-20) -> 1/4" phone (into the monos). Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

Hi GreatDane,

You need XLR female out from the BP20 to XLR male in on the PowerPacs.

james

GreatDane

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2009, 11:58 pm »
Thanks James.

GreatDane

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2009, 12:43 am »
Another question for you since we're on the topic. I've been getting mixed answers regarding whether I'll notice an improvement in sound quality moving to balanced cables.

What are your thoughts?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2009, 12:53 am »
Another question for you since we're on the topic. I've been getting mixed answers regarding whether I'll notice an improvement in sound quality moving to balanced cables.

What are your thoughts?

In simply terms Balanced cables prevent outside noise caused by RF, Cell Phones,radios, electromagnetic energy etc. from entering your audio system through the interconnect cables (antenna's) and being amplifier by the audio system.

I usually prefer Balanced lines to Single ended due to the lower noise floor of the system.

james

GreatDane

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2009, 01:22 am »
OK, cool. My system is already remarkably quiet.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2009, 03:25 am »
Dane,

You're currently using RCAs, right?  Your system may be very quiet now, but you really should try the XLRs.  It may be one of those instances where you realize how much quieter it can be.

XLRs also have the advantage over RCAs if the wire is long.  Not sure about the scientific specs of length vs noise, etc.  I'm also under the assumption that XLRs don't suffer from ground loop problems.  I read/heard somewhere that every RCA has a ground loop problem, but at varying degrees.

Mattyboy

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2009, 09:53 pm »
Soundstable do some excellent ones.. I use Van Damme Professional Studio Cable V3.1 and it sounds excellent :P