I'm Hum-swoggled

taskerc

Re: I'm Hum-swoggled
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:47 am »
After a few weeks of tracing down a hum issues with the Coronet2 it turned out to be a simple fix.After reading JH's post on IC's and their proximity to the tranny this is what I found.With my SUT on the same horizontal plane as the C2 with IC's running off to the side I had a large amount of hum,but when I placed my SUT 2 feet below the C2 on a lower shelf with the input IC's coming out from the C2 and running straight down to the SUT the hum was completely gone.With the volume way past what would be normal listening range all I hear is some slight tube hiss.
 Now on to the Clarinet build. aa

So now I feel very silly - having read this thread and thought, hmmm, I also have some hum - I decided to move the C2 around a bit - and now - no hum until about 1:00 on the volume of my headphone amp - and not noticeable at all when cueing tracks etc.  Seems like I was running the C2 (and the ICs) very close to in-wall wiring.  So, for all hum issues, make sure you mess around with placement as the hidden stuff (in my case) was the primary source.

Man, this thing is quieter now  ......

Chris

tubesforever

« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2009, 08:19 am »
Even moving things an inch can make a difference with RFI and EMI type intrusion.

I am glad you took the time to experiment.  All too often we think its the gear or the builder.  Sometimes its the wiring in the house or the proximity to noise sources.

I gave up listening to LP's for 8 years while living on the other side of a hill from a country music radio tower.

In any quiet passage I could hear the top 40's intermingle with my spins.  CD reigned supreme in my home for that period of time!

taskerc

« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2009, 11:12 am »
Now, for me, that would have been torture - not a big country fan ...... but am a "Big Country" fan  :thumb:

Chris