We Did It

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Re: We Did It
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jan 2009, 02:35 am »
Your help would be most welcome.  It takes about six people minimum to set up a complicated biamp system with outboard subs like the V60 so volunteers can be very helpful.

As for the "media blackout", contact your favorite print mag or ezine and ask them about their coverage of our booth and THE Show in particular.  Just about every member of the press received an invitation from us.

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2009, 03:26 am »
Your help would be most welcome.  It takes about six people minimum to set up a complicated biamp system with outboard subs like the V60 so volunteers can be very helpful.

As for the "media blackout", contact your favorite print mag or ezine and ask them about their coverage of our booth and THE Show in particular.  Just about every member of the press received an invitation from us.

Yes, they all got invitations and Press Releases.

Many also showed up, but haven't posted yet.

Positive Feedback and Stereophile, but Bound for Sound (MDW)was there, Absolute Sound was there, actually several Positive Feedback reviewers were there including Clark Johnson.  I didn't see my buddy HP, but was told he didn't make THE Show until Sunday.

I also didn't see Stereo Times come back.  I think they came between performances.

Stereo MOJO gave us a really well written and thoughtful review here:

http://www.stereomojo.com/CES%202009%20Show%20Report/CES2009ShowReportPart7.htm

Below is one of several photos from their write up

The reviewer (I presume it was James Darby the publisher, since I did see him, but didn't get a chance to talk to him) made some excellent comments regarding the piano LIVE versus PLAYBACK. (he is a pianist)

In fact is is the BEST coverage and the best written review of all the ones I have seen

Please visit their site and read the whole thing.

http://www.stereomojo.com/CES%202009%20Show%20Report/CES2009ShowReportPart7.htm

Housteau

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jan 2009, 03:56 am »
The reviewer (I presume it was James Darby the publisher, since I did see him, but didn't get a chance to talk to him) made some excellent comments regarding the piano LIVE versus PLAYBACK. (he is a pianist)

In fact is is the BEST coverage and the best written review of all the ones I have seen

He must not have asked questions from any of us then after the demo and just put together some assumptions.  It is a good positive review though and he did use the word FUN :).  It is interesting what he said about the piano.  Those mics inside were not being used and were only there for James Bongiorno to do some personal recording when he was playing. 

Brian Cheney

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jan 2009, 04:03 am »
Yes, although our piano sound was outstanding (as good as live, just slightly differently balanced) it was all recorded with our stereo Sennheiser 800 mics in X/Y from a good 10' away..  The mics inside the piano were placed by James Bongiorno so he could record himself separately on a different machine.

I would have moved Fred's sax and flute back, and the percussion table forward, if I had the time.  I came to this decision mid afternoon Sunday and is one of the changes we'll make next year!

cliffy

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jan 2009, 04:31 pm »
Big B or John C,

Would it be possible to create a 'sticky' with links to the published reviews of the "Live vs Recorded" demo?
You could lock the thread so that it didn't grow to multiple pages of comments. 

Maybe just the link and a comment from Big B on what he thinks of the review. 

Just my $.02.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jan 2009, 11:12 pm »
John Casler would be the man to make a sticky linking to the Show reviews.

I'd love to post comments on the reviews.  Reviewing reviewers is a favorite activity of mine.

PLMONROE

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jan 2009, 01:20 am »
We know! And what fun they are to read.  :D :D :D :D

Paul

lifewithmusic

« Reply #27 on: 31 Jan 2009, 06:59 am »
Brain you said (4 posts above) " . . . and is one of the changes we'll make next year!"

Did I read that right??

Are you planning another live demo next year in the same room, now that you've got used to it??

Brian Cheney

« Reply #28 on: 31 Jan 2009, 06:17 pm »
Yes, now that live music played, recorded and played back all in the same environment is a challenge we have overcome, I look forward to doing it again, and having it go well from Day One.

Live music is the Unimpeachable Source, the true reference.  Once you come to grips with the room, and eliminate its influences, home audio reaches its true potential.  It is possible to get "live sound" or "The Absolute Sound" (sorry, Harry) in a typical listening room, I know that now.  It always seemed a pipedream until this point, but I have new knowlege and experience I can't afford to neglect.

So yes, we will repeat our live vs recorded demo at 2010 CES, in the Zeus Ballroom of the Alexis Park.  I'm meeting with my pianist today. 

Housteau

« Reply #29 on: 31 Jan 2009, 08:34 pm »
It is possible to get "live sound" or "The Absolute Sound" (sorry, Harry) in a typical listening room, I know that now.  It always seemed a pipedream until this point, but I have new knowledge and experience I can't afford to neglect.

That is quite a powerful statement especially from someone with such a long track record of previous highly successful speaker designs and elements.  Speaking of a track record, I suppose an analogy could be a high performance car being run through its paces on the track.  That is the real proving ground for a car and lessons learned there often get filtered down into the everyday cars most of us drive.  So, one wonders what will be filtering down from this years Show and how will it advance our personal listening at home?  The other obvious question would be, how much is already here?

There are some things that we already know.  First off, the speakers used were the standard production units.  The electronics were nothing extremely exotic, nor were the Audience cables.  The room was completely less than ideal as was the placement and set-up of just about everything within it.  The source was pure DSD and that was different for most of us I think.  But, even that can be had at home from that nice Tascam unit you can pick up discounted for around $14 - 1800.  I think the obvious difference and what made this possible was the flexibility of the DCX.  As much as what was written about the potential of this unit here on this forum previous to The Show,  the full potential of filling 'pipedreams' was not known until then.

That is my take on this anyway and it has opened my eyes and ears.  I will be very curious to know how Brian will be able to get those live recording to sound within his own personal controlled listening space.  Those that already have the DCX (sadly I am not one yet, but the gears are turning), may find available new suggestions with settings and parameters to dial things in better at home to approach this live experience.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #30 on: 31 Jan 2009, 11:45 pm »
Very well said.

I just finished talking about next year's demo with my pianist Chris Salocks and we are both getting ambitious about the program, having more performers and a greater variety of music, rather than repeating the same sets each day.  We meet for a runthrough in one month and I'll keep everyone posted.

"Live music--the Unimpeachable Source"

lifewithmusic

« Reply #31 on: 3 Feb 2009, 02:47 am »
Next year sounds exciting!

And schedule James Bongiorno for a set at the keys, and see if he can blow one his own amps!

tbrooke

« Reply #32 on: 3 Feb 2009, 01:27 pm »

This makes me want to go to CES or better yet what about a VMPS road show.

Tom Brooke

Brian Cheney

« Reply #33 on: 22 Feb 2009, 11:49 pm »
I'm getting a little old for a road show, but we're already deep in preparations for the 2010 CES.