Re: Esatto
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jan 2009, 12:50 am »
They look great, Rick :thumb:

rave959

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jan 2009, 01:44 am »
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. 

Great choice of drivers with quality cabinet to boot!  I can almost hear and feel how gratifying it sounds.

:thumb:
ian

jxo

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2009, 02:26 am »
Actually this pair is being used with an outboard TC Sounds 15" subwoofer. A powered subwoofer could be integrated into the design without a problem.

Actually 18" TC Sounds LMS 5400 custom passive, sealed sub.  The sub is crossed over to pick up around 60hz.  The mains are also sealed running full range.   Rick's speakers are awesome.  When they are broken in and I get some free time, I will post the full review.  Preliminary assessment: fantastic, accurate, razor sharp, dense delivery of information (everything comes out-- the good and the bad).  Rick is a great talent and a pleasure to deal with-- he delivered a totally customized product that is perfectly suited to my needs-- no compromises and state of the art.  I have had some serious tranducers in the system before these-- other Accuton based speakers, beryllium tweeters etc...   These are definitely a notch or two above the rest.  With the first few SACDs and vinyl, a big smile came to my face-- that's probably the best way to sum it all up.  thanks Rick but my wife is still complaining that they are too BIG (I will gladly make the inevitable sacrifices....;) ).
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2009, 01:00 pm by jxo »

cadobhuk

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2009, 04:48 am »
I have had some serious tranducers in the system before these-- other Accuton based speakers, beryllium tweeters etc...
Can you name the spicific models you had and in which areas did the Esatto offer improvements?

redskinsfan

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2009, 07:19 am »
Is that a GRILL I see leaning against the speaker stand? Who on earth would want to hide that beautiful face? :nono:

jxo

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jan 2009, 08:34 pm »
Those are grill covers.  Rick has a neat design:  magnets are implanted under the skin of the speakers, so the speakers have a very clean look when they are off.  The covers click in place very neatly and come off quickly.  I agree that the naked drivers look great; my wife disagrees; she wins, so the covers go on when I am not listening.  The photos don't show the foam panels that RAAL recommends putting in place above and below their tweeters.  My 2 previous speakers were also custom built.  One was a ported floor standing design-- 3-way with Accuton tweeter and mid and an 8" woofer.  The other a 2-way mtm monitor, also ported, with PHL mid-woofers and the high end Focal tweeter.  I'll post my listening impressions later but overall Rick's speakers are extremely revealing, the RAALs are very impressive (fast, accurate, good dispersion, no beaming, impressive decay), the imaging and soundstage lock in even at lower listening levels (unlike the mtm design which needed to be cranked up), soundstage is not overly wide (probably more a function of my room than the speakers) but the imaging is pin point precise at times and really gets your attention.

hikinokie

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jan 2009, 10:37 am »
Actually this pair is being used with an outboard TC Sounds 15" subwoofer. A powered subwoofer could be integrated into the design without a problem.

Actually 18" TC Sounds LMC custom passive, sealed sub.  The sub is crossed over to pick up around 60hz.  The mains are also sealed running full range.   Rick's speakers are awesome.  When they are broken in and I get some free time, I will post the full review.  Preliminary assessment: fantastic, accurate, razor sharp, dense delivery of information (everything comes out-- the good and the bad).  Rick is a great talent and a pleasure to deal with-- he delivered a totally customized product that is perfectly suited to my needs-- no compromises and state of the art.  I have had some serious tranducers in the system before these-- other Accuton based speakers, beryllium tweeters etc...   These are definitely a notch or two above the rest.  With the first few SACDs and vinyl, a big smile came to my face-- that's probably the best way to sum it all up.  thanks Rick but my wife is still complaining that they are too BIG (I will gladly make the inevitable sacrifices....;) ).

What source(s), pre & amp components are you using to listen to these with?

jgb0194

« Reply #27 on: 16 Jan 2009, 07:17 pm »
Beautiful speakers!

Are you using the C-44 2inch or the C-79 3inch midrange?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 16 Jan 2009, 08:58 pm »
Beautiful speakers!

Are you using the C-44 2inch or the C-79 3inch midrange?

C50

Kris

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jan 2009, 10:54 pm »
Those are grill covers.  Rick has a neat design:  magnets are implanted under the skin of the speakers, so the speakers have a very clean look when they are off.  The covers click in place very neatly and come off quickly.  I agree that the naked drivers look great; my wife disagrees; she wins, so the covers go on when I am not listening.  The photos don't show the foam panels that RAAL recommends putting in place above and below their tweeters.  My 2 previous speakers were also custom built.  One was a ported floor standing design-- 3-way with Accuton tweeter and mid and an 8" woofer.  The other a 2-way mtm monitor, also ported, with PHL mid-woofers and the high end Focal tweeter.  I'll post my listening impressions later but overall Rick's speakers are extremely revealing, the RAALs are very impressive (fast, accurate, good dispersion, no beaming, impressive decay), the imaging and soundstage lock in even at lower listening levels (unlike the mtm design which needed to be cranked up), soundstage is not overly wide (probably more a function of my room than the speakers) but the imaging is pin point precise at times and really gets your attention.

Is the 2 way mtm the Phenomenal kit from Zalytron?

Val

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jan 2009, 04:13 pm »
The stands also look like they are part of the design. Is Rick into stands too, or are those custom Skylans?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2009, 05:04 pm »
The stands also look like they are part of the design. Is Rick into stands too, or are those custom Skylans?

The stands were made by Tyler Acoustics.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #32 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:02 pm »
Then what's the price of an assembled pair in a standard finish?

Sorry for the late reply - $4,100/pr. with most veneers.

richidoo

« Reply #33 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:48 am »
Beautiful! Congrats jxo... I was hoping to get a listen before they shipped out, but I bet you will be building more of this one Rick!! 4100 is very reasonable considering the parts cost.

The C50 specs says 12kHz top end, that's 2 octaves above RAALs 3k bottom, so were you able to use 1st order xo? How bout on the mid to bass xo?  Thanks
Rich

cadobhuk

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:26 am »
Would it make sense to offer them with an active crossover as option?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #35 on: 22 Jan 2009, 04:45 pm »
Beautiful! Congrats jxo... I was hoping to get a listen before they shipped out, but I bet you will be building more of this one Rick!! 4100 is very reasonable considering the parts cost.

The C50 specs says 12kHz top end, that's 2 octaves above RAALs 3k bottom, so were you able to use 1st order xo? How bout on the mid to bass xo?  Thanks
Rich

Sorry you missed hearing them but I didn't have them here very long before delivery. All the crossover information is proprietary but I can tell you that first order filters won't work with these drivers.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2009, 05:54 pm »
Would it make sense to offer them with an active crossover as option?

A DSP crossover like the DEQX is certainly possible.

cadobhuk

« Reply #37 on: 23 Jan 2009, 09:37 pm »
I've read that active crossovers have certain advantages for the ultimate sound quality and thought this is one speaker that deserves it.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #38 on: 24 Jan 2009, 05:47 am »
I've read that active crossovers have certain advantages for the ultimate sound quality and thought this is one speaker that deserves it.

If it's a DSP-based crossover you can do quite a bit but if not then the performance capability of the speaker can be limited with a normal off-the-shelf unit. Even with a DSP it's possible that someone would prefer a passive version based on how the speaker is voiced.

Many audiophiles don't like active systems because of the extra amps needed (or amplifier channels in the case of a multi-channel amp) and / or they feel that the active crossovers degrade the signal. I use the DEQX in my own system so I don't have a problem with it. To me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages (perceived or real). In some cases it may not be practical in terms of the budget; for instance, it doesn't make much sense to spend $5K to make a $500 speaker active.

redskinsfan

« Reply #39 on: 29 Jan 2009, 09:30 am »
Rick, just curious, is the polyester finish available for wood veneers, or is it specific to the piano black finish? :scratch: