Looking for information on Bryston 4B pre-amp

audionutter

« on: 30 Nov 2003, 12:57 am »
Hi,

Has anyone here heard of/familiar with the Bryston 4B pre-amp? Can't seem to find much info on it on the web, Bryston's site doesn't seem to have it either so this must be quite an old model? It is a line level pre-amp with no power amp section and must have preceded the current 4B ST/SST power amp models. Approximately how old is it? Can it still be upgraded or do Bryston not offer such a facility? Is there much that goes wrong with it? Any information on this is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Ron D

« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2003, 01:08 am »
If memory serves me right and it rarely does....the .4B (note the "point" in front of the 4) was very much the same as the .5B less the phono section that was in the .5B. Might have been identical except for the lack of phono. Not worth upgrading and I'll hazard a guess that Bryston doesn't do upgrades to that model. Nice little unit but definately not a BP-20 or BP-25. As for age its probably an early 90's build but if you have the serial number and e-mail Bryston they normally will advise you in about a day as to when it was built.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2003, 01:05 pm »
HI Ron,

Your answer on the .4B was perfect.

james

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:01 pm »
I have the .5B and have to say it is basically a "straight wire with gain".

It is the quietest preamp I have ever "not heard".  The gain control can be turned almost to max with nothing but silence!!