Help I'm Married!!

ashtarul

Help I'm Married!!
« on: 4 Jan 2009, 09:27 pm »
Married guys will know what I'm on about.

When the 'upgrade' bug bites, how do you justify/convince your other half that your perfectly working hifi needs upgrading.....again?

All comments/suggestions whether real or made-up are welcomed as I've ran out of excuses.

Ash

« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2009, 10:41 pm by ashtarul »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Help I'm Married!!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2009, 09:30 pm »
Consider saying it's a 'trade' not an 'upgrade'.

james

Phil

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2009, 09:33 pm »
Ash,

I'm sorry that this is going to hurt, but it is simple.  Visit Tiffany & Co with your wife.  Let her decide what she wants.  Genuinely enjoy her joy.  Simple and effective.  

Let me know how it goes (you have been warned).   :D

Phil

PS.  I would have said, "Just get your wife into audio," but that may not work.  My wife can hear every little change I make to the system but doesn't care, she can still listen to the simplest system and enjoy her music.  Envy her, oh audiophile.

ashtarul

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2009, 09:42 pm »
Thanks but done something similar on my last 'trade'. I'll just say the salesperson at Louis Vuitton now knows my name..... :D

Anymore?

yooper

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2009, 09:53 pm »
Tell her your hobby could be prostitutes.  :wink:

Of course, that is my feeble attempt at humor.  You or her may not find it amusing.

Mark

jono2channel

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2009, 10:01 pm »
My wife and I "allow" ourselves an  "allowance". You decide the amount...It is money that we don't have to ask permission about. I have put together my decent rig on the back of birthday presents and allowance money. My wife thinks that I am crazy, but the upgrade bug seems to pass women by.

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2009, 10:06 pm »
Buy her a vacation get-a-way from you, with a friend to a destination of her choice as a birthday present or anniversary gift.

While she's gone, you make the switch. She shouldn't be any the wiser to any changes on return. Since she's not an audiophile.

Prior to this you might want to invest in a cabinet rack. Something with doors on it. This way she doesn't know what equipment you have in the first place.

sabes

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2009, 10:23 pm »
lies, deception and off-shore accounts. keep all units black, so as to invite less attention. and a liberal sprinkling of dust on all new items: "what -- this old thing?" worked in my wood shop as well...

and "now listening to...my son screaming" - very funny, jono2channel!

ashtarul

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2009, 10:49 pm »
"....liberal sprinkling of dust..."  :lol: nice one sabes

kmmd

• YG? Y NOT? Carmel 2’s and Hailey 3’s
    • Systems
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2009, 10:55 pm »
Jewelry and fashion are definitely big on the list.  Also, don't forget furniture.  My wife and I have redone our living room, master BR and dining room with collections from Ethan Allen this past year.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2009, 10:59 pm »
My wife says its the same thing as her having 5 pair of black shoes, 7 white tops, etc.  "Nothing wrong with the old ones - why buy new ones?"   :wink:

Buying her something is much less confrontational though.

Bryan

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2009, 11:11 pm »
Hi,

Deception works for me.  My favourite is to get the retailer to provide a receipt at half the value of the new product or don't tell her and just replace it in your system.  With a bit of luck she won't notice the change.

Regards

Rod

markC

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2009, 11:15 pm »
You have to start a couple of months in advance, dropping subtle hints.
"I'm thinking about selling my CD player."
"Why would you do that, didn't you just get that thing a little over a year ago?
"Yea, but now that I use a DAC, I don't really need a CD player-just a transport."
"Yea Right."

Then I drop it for a few days and hint some more. After a couple of months of this there's  much less argument when I  announce that I'm buying a new transport. I hope.  8)

Tosko

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2009, 11:21 pm »
Married guys will know what I'm on about.

When the 'upgrade' bug bites, how do you justify/convince your other half that your perfectly working hifi needs upgrading.....again?

All comments/suggestions whether real or made-up are welcomed as I've ran out of excuses.

Ash

Hi ashtarul!
No way. :nono:  Do you believe in miracles :lol: ??
The only thing is.......if you (and we) can get de God´s phone number. Can you get it??
If you can.... just tell me (us) as soon as possible. Thanx !!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2009, 11:29 pm »
Hi Dear - I've decided to become an independent audio reviewer.

james

ashtarul

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2009, 11:34 pm »
James I'll use that on YOU. Send me your latest stuff.  :lol:

Ash

Rob S.

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2009, 11:44 pm »
1)     This one has only worked twice, after that my wife ridicules me when I say it.   " Honey, look...... after I trade this other piece of equipment and buy this one, it's no new $$"    Or after the sale and buy, it might only be "x" amount of $$ more. 

2)    Then there's always the personal accounts you may have which may fund your paypal account.

3)    Or,  honey, this piece of equipment is on loan to me.  A friend on AC owns it and isn't using it right now.  this works well w/  #2 above.

Rob S.

jaywills

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:06 am »
"Help I'm Married!!"

To quote one of my favorite TV philosophers, George Stevens, "Welcome to the ranks of the Living Dead."

Tubeburner

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:09 am »
Buy it, apologize later. I know I will pay for her "necessities" anyway and the price tag goes up when I buy gear. Diamonds, ect. seem to smooth the ripples of audio.

orthobiz

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:24 am »
About six years ago, I had a partner leave my business. He left some cash in the process so I bought a bunch of stuff. I told my wife that I needed this and that but never really talked about how much it cost. Redid my Dahlquists, bought an AVA amp and preamp, redid my Linn Sondek, blahblahblah.

Things were fine until this summer. We had a flood and the folder with all the receipts was on the floor in three inches of water. I asked her to dry the papers out and...

...she READ THEM!

Luckily, my wife is great so it was never a problem. Or maybe the moral is if you get away with it, hide the evidence well!

I know this doesn't help you but I wanted to tell the story anyway.

Paul