Odyssey Digital Amp???

klaus@odyssey

Odyssey Digital Amp???
« Reply #20 on: 24 Dec 2003, 03:32 am »
I'm here,  just insanely busy.  Will take some time over the holidays to answer all of the questions.

Late,
Santa  :P

azryan

Odyssey Digital Amp???
« Reply #21 on: 7 Jan 2004, 06:29 pm »
Just bumping this 'cuz the holidays are over.

I'm still interested in the answers to th questions I asked.

Thanks!

azryan

Odyssey Digital Amp???
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jan 2004, 12:07 am »
Again... bump.

For what it's worth... at the CES Jeff Rowland assured me that the ICEpower chips he's using in his amps are not fragile and told me he's sold hundreds of them already.

Do you know what dig. amps you're going to use yet?

Or idea of price points?

Phil

Odyssey Digital Amp???
« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2004, 02:16 am »
Klaus,

It is really refreshing when someone tells it like it is.  If digital amps are cheap to make, some of the high end makers are really making a bundle.

It seems adding tubes is the right way to go with digital amps.  Until I added a tubed preamp to my setup, my PS Audio HCA-2 lacked the midrange dimensionality that I was looking for.  

I've seen a CDP with a tube in the front face plate.  That is visually pleasing and would be an interesting touch for a digital amp (the old and the new) and could be easy to replace.

The HCA-2 is fussy about power cords.  Less fussy is better.

Monoblocks would be an interesting option (although, more power cords).

Phil

klaus@odyssey

Odyssey Digital Amp???
« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2004, 08:45 am »
Sorry for the delay,  boys.  And yet,  I'm still holding back some info because it's not time yet to let the cat out...  Anyay,  some more thoughts:

ICE power modules,  yes,  I know that there was a divide between Odyssey and EAR  preferences at the MAF,  but then again,  the nice thing for me is to know that Marbles DM  was only a few days old and at leat 80 % away from break - in.  Also,  with the biasing  we are able in this particular Stratos design to adjust the sound of the amp more toards that of an ICE  powered amp.  Not completely 100 %,  but a big step neverthelss.  Problem only is that you'll be as anemic in the bass area as well,  and you'll fight some other sonic areas.  What gives ???  Preference and synergy.

As for the reliability of the ICE  moduls :::  I hope so.  Point is that we ar set on the power supply,  which is just fantastic,  and where a boy genius with literally $ millions of equipment an with a complete "out of the box"  thinking created a great,  great piece that we will incorporate. After all,  a digital amp lives and dies by its ps.

As for digital designs,  there's an explosion happening now,   which is good.  Some years down the road they will be on par with the best of tubes and analog on all counts,  I'm sure.  Look at the multitude of new products.  Heck,  even the Panasonics ar rally good for little $.  New ideas and better improvements everywhere.  There are more and more modules available to the different manufacturers, and pretty much you will see variations of each one by manufacturer x, y, z.  Power supply, case,  and cost issues will be the main differences then.    So,  looking at all the different options is a necessity,  and ultimately,  you just have to stop arguing and talking,  and listen for length at different systems.  Again,  that's a pain in the ass,  better believe it.  Fun,  but difficult,  because in my position,  you have to be brutally honest to yourself or it comes back to you as a boomerang of evil,  lol.

Nex,  keep in mind,  ALWAYS !!!!  that I'm not a designer.  I'm heavily relying on some friends of mine who make this poject possible,  and who have all the contacts.  I'm only trying to get the different ideas together and bring the sum of all of this together in a viable package that is also a good value.

To answer som q's directly :
-  we'll answer the topology questions soon.
-  Right now,  I'm still awaiting the final prototype (said that before,  but it's the "audiophile" version.  Question is should I bring the cost down to the ridiculous Stratos / Khartago level,  or should I go higher in $$$  by adding ?  I think that ultimately I can do both.
-  What I can reveal is that we will start out with a 2 x 500 W.  dual mono amp,  with a 2 x 1000 W monos planned for the future.
-  I can also reveal that there will be a HT  amp version available.
-  As for the availablity,  I hope that we will be able to debut the amp at the Montreal show in early April.  That migh be tight,  but we will definitely have it at the NY  show,  and of course,  at the San Fran  show in the fall as well.  The first shipping of the first production units ???   In the same time fram.

Stay tuned,

Klaus

klaus@odyssey

Odyssey Digital Amp???
« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2004, 08:49 am »
Sorry about the typos.  Low battery in the keyboard.

bubba966

Odyssey Digital Amp???
« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2004, 09:29 am »
Quote from: klaus@odyssey
Low battery in the keyboard.

Try some of these http://www.electricaldeals.com/html/prodresults.php3?Category=BAT&Subcategory=ALK

Longest lasting batteries I've ever seen...