Cloth....Helpful or hindrance??

msm_1

Cloth....Helpful or hindrance??
« on: 23 Dec 2008, 03:41 am »
Hi

On my original VR-4's, I've been seriously thinking about the upgrading kits but....

How much does the cabinet cloth take away from the overall sound compared to the uncovered series?

I know that the cloth is more for dust control and a little for cosmetic design, yet, there has to be a small dampening factor, hence the hesitation as to shelling out for an upgrade. I really enjoy the cherry finish and have yet to see a better grain from my dealers displays, so am keeping these regardless what I choose.

I was wondering if VSA did any comparisons or tests on this?

Thanks

Mike

VSA_JOE

Re: Cloth....Helpful or hindrance??
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2008, 05:42 pm »
Our older grill cloth from the VR-4 Gen 1 was selected for best sonic transparency versus "black-out" cosmetic appearance.  When "beta" testing a thinner cloth that allowed the inside of the speaker to show, we had complaints from house wives who didn't want to see the internal components of the upper M/T unit.

For this reason, back then we selected a cloth that was difficult to see through, but still enabled the tweeter to get to 25kHz without more than 0,5dB attenuation.

Today, we offer replacement "socks" made from much thinner fabric that you "can" see through, if you have the speakers in front of a window, for those customers who aren't worried about visible internal components.  The new socks cost $200/set of four.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2008, 06:53 pm »
Our older grill cloth from the VR-4 Gen 1 was selected for best sonic transparency versus "black-out" cosmetic appearance.  When "beta" testing a thinner cloth that allowed the inside of the speaker to show, we had complaints from house wives who didn't want to see the internal components of the upper M/T unit.

For this reason, back then we selected a cloth that was difficult to see through, but still enabled the tweeter to get to 25kHz without more than 0,5dB attenuation.

Today, we offer replacement "socks" made from much thinner fabric that you "can" see through, if you have the speakers in front of a window, for those customers who aren't worried about visible internal components.  The new socks cost $200/set of four.

Why is it wives always seem to have a hangup with see through?   :roll:

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2008, 08:33 pm »
Why is it wives always seem to have a hangup with see through?   :roll:

Makes the speakers look slutty?  :lol:

Personally, I like see through  aa

McTwins

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2008, 09:02 pm »
I like the cloth on my VR4GenIII, looks like monolith :)

msm_1

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2008, 03:18 am »
Thanks Joe!!

See thru........hmmmmm! lol (I'm not shy and my wife's more into audio then I am)

Will contact service dept next week and contact my dealer regarding installing them.

Thanks again

Mike

SundayNiagara

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2008, 03:37 am »

Why is it wives always seem to have a hangup with see through?   :roll:

They don't want men to have toys!