Surprise RS 40-1354 Find

mike j

Surprise RS 40-1354 Find
« on: 23 Dec 2008, 01:49 am »
I picked up an MCS set-up at a garage sale several months ago. I got a 3835 amp, 3701 Tuner, 6502 TT, a nice cabinet it was originally purchased in, and two 3 way speakers which didn't have the original drivers. I got this all for $10. I checked out the tuner and amp, and then set everything aside while I payed attention to some of my other projects. :o

Tonight I decided to look at the speakers. The woofers were replaced by Zenith 49-1261-02 drivers )info stamped on the speaker: 8 ohm, A ONK, 8175). I searched but couldn't find anything on them. Anyone have any info on these? :scratch:

What I got pretty pumped about was the mid replacements. Radio Shack 40-1354A's. I searched these and they seem to be somewhat well-regarded, especially for what I paid. :thumb:

Now I need to decide what to do with the 1354's. I've read about Dammar, felt on the spokes, and plumber's putty. Any suggestions?

Are these comparable/interchangable with any Fostex or any other FR drivers? After the holidays, I was planning on building the Golden Ratio Fonkens with an FE127. Can these be put in the Fonkens? aa

TerryO

Re: Surprise RS 40-1354 Find
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2008, 02:21 am »
The Radio Shack 1354 is (IMHO) one of the great fullrange drivers. These have been around for decades and have been the center of many great systems. I can give you my recommendations, based on a number of years (too many) of speakerbuilding.

1. Bob Brines has free plans on his website for what is generally acknowledged as the "best" cabinet specifically designed for use with the 1354. Use Baltic Birch plywood, it's expensive, but those drivers deserve it and I doubt if you'll be disappointed.

2. Don't use Dammar on them, instead investigate the enable process, "puzzlecoat" (Modpodge hi-gloss), and phase plugs.
Dave at Planet 10 can help you out a lot on this and there is extensive coverage of driver mods on diyaudio.

3. There are several that use the 1354s by themselves and others have opted for for a tweeter mounted above the driver. The 1354 goes to about 14kHz before rolling off, and in Bob Brine's cabinet will do an honest 40s Hz Bass. If you can, see if you can find a pair of the old JVC leaf tweeters or the Radio Shack copy, both are good and people seem to think that they're made to be paired to the 1354. You cross them in at about 15kHz or so with a single cap, use electrolytic to experiment and when you find the best value, then purchase a poly (or better) cap.

Believe it or not, but people have sold their fairly expensive speakers after building the 1354/Brines speaker. Yours was a lucky find, exploit it to the Max!

Best Regards,
TerryO

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Surprise RS 40-1354 Find
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2008, 02:44 am »
see if you can find a pair of the old JVC leaf tweeters

We have a pair of those looking for a home.

dave