GZ34 Mullard Help!

Syrah

GZ34 Mullard Help!
« on: 20 Dec 2008, 02:49 am »
Hi All.

I'm on the market for a GZ34 for my Modwright Sony 9100.  My first quest was a Philips Metal Base - I've given up on that one.

So on to my second choice, a Mullard.  I've searched various forums, but I remain totally confused as to what to look for in a Mullard, so I'm inclined to stick to the reputable dealers rather than venturing in to Ebay et. al.

I have a Japanese Upscale Audio 5ar4 on it now, and it's definitely better than the stock.

I was looking at this one - http://thetubestore.com/mullardgz34.html - because I trust the Tube Store.  Any comments on that 1960s version?

My Supratek Syrah takes a 5ar4 too.  I got a Bendix 6106 and its sounds fantastic.  The 6106 sounds horrible on the Modwright Sony.  Funny.

Boy I wish someone would make a kick ass new GZ34!

Thanks.

rydenfan

Re: GZ34 Mullard Help!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2008, 03:01 am »
Conact Brent Jessie at www.audiotubes.com he has Mullard labeled 5AR4's for $150 a tube.

JG2

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2008, 05:31 am »
Here is a lot of good info regarding Philips and Mullard production 5AR4 / GZ34:

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20GZ34/GZ34.htm

Don't give up on finding a reasonable metal base!

Good luck!

Eric

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2008, 07:52 pm »
Conact Brent Jessie at www.audiotubes.com he has Mullard labeled 5AR4's for $150 a tube.

Thats where i got mine

bacobits1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2008, 08:27 pm »
I got 2 off of E Bay not too long ago, reasonable (under $100). f31, f32 date codes. Good logo's etc.
I have seen older and especially metal base go for upwards of $300-$400.
Ouch! :o

Check here too>>> http://www.vacuumtubes.com/
Mike Marx is good to deal with. It also looks like prices are up there.

D

JG2

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2008, 02:35 am »
Speaking of logo's.........if you really don't care about a nice logo on a Mullard 5AR4 / GZ-34 (or any tube for that matter) you can generally buy a tube for far less $$$. Having said that, if you want to pay top dollar and have a intact logo you will likely be able to resell for a higher price if you find this tube is not to your liking. Some people are collectors and the 'ink' means a lot to them. I haven't found the lack of a logo to impact the sound of a tube but then again I am also on the frugal side! 

AB

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2008, 04:34 am »
Hi All.

I'm on the market for a GZ34 for my Modwright Sony 9100.  My first quest was a Philips Metal Base - I've given up on that one.

Have you tried a NOS 5U4GB in your Sony?  I have and in my system and to my ears it is the equal to and possibly better than the usual NOS 5AR4 tubes.

No doubt it's all dependent on what's down stream of the Sony but I think it's worth a try. A tested used 5U4GB can be had for around $10 on Ebay.

Syrah

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:48 pm »
Thanks all for your help.  I'm going to try Brent Jessie.  I wasn't sure I could use the 5U4GB in the Sony output.  Is it the same as the preamp?

JG2

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2008, 05:50 pm »
You can use it in the Sony power supply but you may have a height issue with the 5U4GB rectifier. There are some pretty nasty B+ voltage in the ps and keeping the lid off to accommodate a tall tube isn't recommended for your safety.

jbtrio

« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2008, 09:21 pm »
Andy at VTS should have some nice GZ34 tubes. He is excellent. He test all his tubes for noise,microphonics,and so on ,then rates them Phono (mc & mm),line level,etc. Before he sends them out he even cleans and polishes the pins.

I dealt with Brent too, he is very good.

Try to get the earlier years with the double d-getters over the later single halo-getter, more desirable. Amperex (mini-watt) or Mullards are both very nice, IMHO.

Joe

AB

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2008, 11:11 pm »
You can use it in the Sony power supply but you may have a height issue with the 5U4GB rectifier. There are some pretty nasty B+ voltage in the ps and keeping the lid off to accommodate a tall tube isn't recommended for your safety.

I keep the lids off my PSUs. There are no kids and no pets around to get into them - just me ;-)

The lid can be turned around so that the vented part is oriented towards the front. This leaves the solid area available for a tall tube accommodating cut out.
I should to do this but I haven't gotten around to it.

I spoke to Andy yesterday and he has several NOS Mullard 5AR4 tubes in stock including some fat bases and some 4 notch ones. He also has some used ones. He mentioned he had a bunch of NOS RCA 5U4GB too. I didn't ask their prices.
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2009, 10:42 pm by AB »

mtodde

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:48 pm »
I like the fat base Mullard...it made a huge difference in my SWLP