Any Porsche fans?

Ray Collins

Re: Any Porsche fans?
« Reply #60 on: 16 Dec 2008, 11:00 pm »
I certainly agree with your points; technology has about eliminated the driving experience in modern cars.  Climb into an early Porsche or Lotus and compare them to todays offerings.  For a real thrill (safe) turn a few laps in a Formula Ford or an old Formula Vee...

carusoracer

« Reply #61 on: 17 Dec 2008, 02:59 pm »
Nice choice BRM!!

Hey Richadoo, was that the year of the Cat for Americas Cup? 
Are you a Sailor as well?

richidoo

« Reply #62 on: 17 Dec 2008, 04:20 pm »
Hey Mark! It was 92, America Cubed won it off Prada Italy. It was the last time we won before kiwis took it in 95. The Cat was 87. 2009 is 33rd challenge with new AC90 boats! A-Cup and F1 are the only sports I follow.

New AC90 class is bigger and badder:

carusoracer

« Reply #63 on: 17 Dec 2008, 05:59 pm »
Hey Mark! It was 92, America Cubed won it off Prada Italy. It was the last time we won before kiwis took it in 95. The Cat was 87. 2009 is 33rd challenge with new AC90 boats! A-Cup and F1 are the only sports I follow.

New AC90 class is bigger and badder:

My favorite was the 87' Stars & Stripes against Kookaburra lll  in Perth 

88' was the Cat in San Diego against New Zealand

F1, Awesome, Lewis is my Guy

Back to the Porsche thread topic, did anyone catch that Lewis's father wrecked and beautiful 440K Carrera GT :o

lifewithmusic

« Reply #64 on: 18 Dec 2008, 02:48 am »
I think Porsche automobiles are economical. 

Several years ago I purchased an 8 year old 944 with 59K miles on it.  I drove it for 12 years and put an additional 147K miles on it.  Then a little old lady's insurance company (yes, literally) bought it off me when she crashed into it.  My car's totaled price was $900 less than I paid for it 12 years before!!  I ran the numbers adding up all the maintenance I'd done on the car, including all the oil changes I had record of (most of them) and determined it cost me $115 a month to own the car, plus gasoline of course, and plus a discretionary repaint job of about $5K a few years before I sold it . . . can't do that with an American made car I don't think.

Does you porsche fans known you can get porsche parts at dealer cost plus 15 percent?  Check out sunset porsche's website.  I've bought there for years.  (I hope it isn't against the rules for me to give them this plug . . . if so, sorry: Moderator:  Please delete this paragraph.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #65 on: 18 Dec 2008, 12:47 pm »
(I hope it isn't against the rules for me to give them this plug . . . if so, sorry: Moderator:  Please delete this paragraph.
Nope, you're fine.  :wink: Thanks for asking.

BillB

« Reply #66 on: 18 Dec 2008, 01:26 pm »
Since we are plugging folks I just remembered something.

If anyone lives in the Pensacola area there is a dude who works on Porsches at his house and does amazing work. People take their cars there vice the dealership.

Anyways, we were down visiting my parents and occassionally my idle would stick at like 3k which was quite annoying. We took it to him and I asked him about it, fearing the worst. He popped the hood and adjusted the throttle linkage...no charge. I then asked if he had any center-caps for the wheels because one of mine had become loose and I had to take it off for fear of losing it...he gave me that too.

He had a beautiful 356 that he was working on and a 928 out in the yard that he said had rolled of Scenic Highway. To those who don't know, it is basically a wooded cliffside road next to the bay inlet and has drops of upto about 40-50 feet. This car apparently went off and rolled down 25 feet. They craned it out and it started right up!! The damn roof was hardly even dented!! +1 for sunroofs right there!!

richidoo

« Reply #67 on: 18 Dec 2008, 02:27 pm »
Back to the Porsche thread topic, did anyone catch that Lewis's father wrecked and beautiful 440K Carrera GT :o

Every great sportscar needs a great story. Now Carrera GT has a famous story - and nobody was killed! Lewis got a nasty speeding ticket in the beginning of the season too.

Ray Collins

« Reply #68 on: 18 Dec 2008, 05:05 pm »
billb,
I live in Mobile--can you give me the Porsche mechanic's name and number?

Ray

BillB

« Reply #69 on: 18 Dec 2008, 10:51 pm »
YGPM Ray

Ray Collins

« Reply #70 on: 18 Dec 2008, 11:30 pm »
Thanks Bill.  He is just across the Bay as is Bronson Field where the PCA hosts their events.

Ray

richidoo

« Reply #71 on: 22 Aug 2011, 09:12 pm »
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I wanted to report that my friend Cam Ingram, the restorer of the cars in the collection mentioned in OP has won Pebble Beach Concours with another Gmund Coupe, this one restored for the grandchild of Ferdinand Porsche, the car's designer. I went to his shop a couple years ago (to give him a Blakey LP  :wink: ) and it was like walking through Santa's workshop. 

http://www.theaircooledguys.com/road-scholars-and-hans-peter-porsche-take-1st-in-class-at-pebble-beach/

pansixt

« Reply #72 on: 23 Aug 2011, 12:34 am »
Rich

That is a serious achievement and a beautiful machine.

I would love to tour his shop.
His, and Jay Leno's.

James

ltr317

« Reply #73 on: 23 Aug 2011, 06:23 am »
Rich,

I've owned six early porsches at various times and still have a factory poster of the first porsche in 1948 up to the 1974 carrera.  There is also a 1949 Gmund coupe as part of the lineup.  Very nice restoration.  Congrats to your friend.

Paul

Dimfer

« Reply #74 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:01 am »
I love the Porsches, but arthritis in my spine made it very difficult for me to get out of low slung cars, so I went ahead with their SUV... had it for a while and still loving it. The 957 GTS is only 405 hps and nowhere nearly as nimble as the Turbo model, but I'd say it is plenty fast. I am more of a marathoner than a long distance runner, did Edmonton to Vancouver, a 1200 km trip in 10 hours of driving, with my in-laws sleeping in the backseat. mom in law freaked out when she woke up and noticed I was going 140 kph  :lol: :lol: she didn't know she was travelling much much faster earlier :icon_lol:

I love the driving dynamics of this SUV, very easy to forget that you're driving an SUV, yes 0 - 100 kph in 5.7 secs will look slow compared to the sprint times of other Porsches, but it is thrilling enough for the most part. I hope Porsche will come out with a lighter and turbo version of their
Cajun when it comes out, I'd probably buy it too. It has to be turbo, so that it can be modified for more power gain, and hopefully go 0-100 kph in less than 4 seconds.

I love the sound of the sports exhaust of the GTS, hoping to do a cat bypass, cold air intake upgrade and ECU tune in my unit soon.. I just have to bring in that GM70 amps that I've been lusting for a while  :oops: in the next month or so...

here's mine, a sports car on steroid

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #75 on: 29 Aug 2011, 04:04 am »

richidoo

« Reply #76 on: 29 Aug 2011, 05:30 am »
Porsche is coming back to LeMans in 2014 to race in LMP1 against their own sister Audi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhOsDzSJ0bk

Maybe VW understands better than the family did in recent years what Porsche means.

tim92gts

« Reply #77 on: 4 Oct 2011, 09:12 am »
Thought i should just bump the topic up with a 928, hope the pic uploads.

Approaching it's 19th birthday but still flies, maybe due for a respray this winter if the
audio budget can be cut.
Partner is a 996 user, it certainly doesn't corner like the 928.

pjchappy

« Reply #78 on: 7 Oct 2011, 05:03 pm »
Never owned one, but I am a huge fan.

I must say, the upcoming 911 looks fantastic!  Sleek with subtle muscularity.

You can check out high-resolution pics here:  Porsche 911 Carrera S gallery

Paul

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #79 on: 7 Oct 2011, 05:24 pm »
Porsche "Yellowbird" at Nurbergring:

Eight minute video. The guy is driving with no helmet, wearing his friggen SOCKS!
Check out the awesome drifting.

Fantastic driving skills:

http://porschebahn.wordpress.com/2009/12/26/video-of-porsche-930-ruf-ctr-yellowbird-on-nurburgring/