Any Porsche fans?

JuanR

Re: Any Porsche fans?
« Reply #40 on: 14 Dec 2008, 07:21 pm »
and my new one.

raov1

« Reply #41 on: 14 Dec 2008, 08:41 pm »

:drool: 4.0 liter twin-turbocharged flat-six engine, 987 horsepower and 710 lb-ft of torque. Limited production that will compete with the Veyron.
At $693,000, a lot if saving needs to be done.   :duh:

Movie: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/new_car_reviews/article3334657.ece
Turbo power: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ffYokJgg5s

I'll be happy with 580 horses meanwhile. aa

« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2008, 05:53 am by raov1 »

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #42 on: 14 Dec 2008, 08:57 pm »
Juan/Raov
Two super cars you'll have there!  Congrats and enjoy!

richidoo

« Reply #43 on: 14 Dec 2008, 09:42 pm »
How about a Porsche 917 for you living room..... :wink:

Chris, you should post that in Mark's chair thread!!!   aa

Ray Collins

« Reply #44 on: 14 Dec 2008, 11:00 pm »
Juan/Ravo
Do you fellows race them or just putt-putt back and forth to the office?

raov1

« Reply #45 on: 15 Dec 2008, 02:28 am »
Thanks golfugh,
   If you are ever in the LA area give me a holler, i'll give you a whiplash you can remember  :thumb:

Ray Collins:
     You may be laughing your ass off, but all those horses are no fun on the 101 at peak hours or anytime of the weekday, especially on a uphill  :duh:, I could walk and be faster!!!! It has just become a weekend car for now.

Ray Collins

« Reply #46 on: 15 Dec 2008, 02:57 am »
Sad...  Get a class III SCCA ticket and hit the track on the weekends...great fun!!!!

Ray Collins

« Reply #47 on: 15 Dec 2008, 03:08 am »
Oops, it is now called a Novice Ticket.

raov1

« Reply #48 on: 15 Dec 2008, 03:59 am »
I hate competing with wanna be supercars, those hondas, toyota supras with a house job run in excess of 500 hp, and teenage mad drivers. I'm happy with my weekend ride into the mountains or the freeway before the cock clucks. :wink:

Ray Collins

« Reply #49 on: 15 Dec 2008, 04:24 am »
Absolutley, enjoy your Porsche as you chose.  I had an Austin Healey 3000 in which I enjoyed taking early morning rides.  Just something about a British motor car early in the morning...

I repeat, SCCA time trials at a road course track may give you a new outlet for stretching your Porsche's legs.  It is NOT a drifter/NOS type event.  They will also provide instruction to help get more out of your driving experience.  Just a thought...

raov1

« Reply #50 on: 15 Dec 2008, 05:49 am »
Thanks Ray,
   Will definitely look into the SCCA trials.
   Very good choice on the vintage, I'm sure it a lots of fun, plus it has a lot of history to go with it.
   Cheers,
   VJ

richidoo

« Reply #51 on: 15 Dec 2008, 06:35 am »
Ah yes, fond memories of Santa Monica Mountains, Hidden valley, Zuma - on a little Honda 250cc.

Ray Collins

« Reply #52 on: 15 Dec 2008, 03:54 pm »
Vj,
The Healy was a HS graduation gift in 1963... 

Ferry Porsche spoke at Renn Fest in Virginia back in the mid 1970's and was adamant about driving the Porsche at speed...he said he designed the 911 to be driven hard and fast not to be polished and pampered...I always took him at his word, with no regrets.

Good luck with one of the finest autos on the planet!

Ray

raov1

« Reply #53 on: 16 Dec 2008, 03:17 pm »
richidoo: The Santa Monica and Malibu mountain roads are a bikers dream. I regularly meet a ton of them zipping through. I frequent the 23, which has enough curves to give you upper body workout by the time you reach PCH.  :thumb:

Ray: I completely agree with you, the only way to stretch the Porsche's legs and to know its potential is to track it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #54 on: 16 Dec 2008, 03:48 pm »
Slightly, kinda off topic. But I figure I've got the attention of all the Audio Circle gearheads in one place at the same time.  :wink:

Is there a schedule for the races at Pikes Peak? Not the race track, but the races that are held on the street that goes up the mountain?
{"Pikes Peak Hill Climb" I think it's called}

Thanks!
Bob

BillB

« Reply #55 on: 16 Dec 2008, 08:19 pm »
http://www.ppihc.com/Default.aspx

For those looking for track time check out NASA as well...cheaper.

BillB

« Reply #56 on: 16 Dec 2008, 08:21 pm »
...Or PCA events. Then you only have Porsches on track so I imagine everyone is pretty careful.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #57 on: 16 Dec 2008, 08:38 pm »
I've ALWAYS wanted one.  i can barely drive a stick, know little or nothing about Porsches; although a boss had a 911 turbo years ago, and when I visited corp hq, Emeryville CA, we'd take a longer than normal lunch ride out into the country where he'd step on it....very very kewl).  I am a classic BMW, Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, BMW lease guy....one of these days when the last boy is off to college.....and the nestegg comes back to life....

:drool:
 :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #58 on: 16 Dec 2008, 09:08 pm »
http://www.ppihc.com/Default.aspx

For those looking for track time check out NASA as well...cheaper.
Thanks Bill.  :thumb:
I had found that, but you have to sign-up to see the darn schedule.  :roll:

Bob

richidoo

« Reply #59 on: 16 Dec 2008, 09:26 pm »
I frequent the 23, which has enough curves to give you upper body workout by the time you reach PCH.  :thumb:

23 was a bit south of me iirc, that was the Sunset strip for bikers. More Honda 600s than anywhere else! Back in 1991 I lived right in Westlake Village with my finance. I worked at home, watched America's Cup and rode the mountains everyday. The summer of love! haha

I always admired the PP hillclimb, because the open class allowed the real spirit of racing to flourish. The world's best drivers came to compete. No limits, no rules, fastest man to the top wins. Remember Gurney's Toyota 4WD Celicas? We need a lot more of that in todays formal racing series.