For Sale: Butler Audio TDB-3150, $1050 shipped

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: For Sale: Butler Audio TDB-3150, $1050 shipped
« Reply #20 on: 24 Dec 2008, 04:25 am »
Yeah, I do the deal with trepidation. :o  I freakin' love the Butler but due to space concerns I haven't had it hooked up in 2008. :duh:  Chances are I'll be getting another one down the road, once I have the space to do MC up right.

In the meantime, I look forward to the 'return' of the piece I most regret getting rid of... aa

Airborn

« Reply #21 on: 24 Dec 2008, 04:37 am »
Yeah, a little trepedation for me too. The SP3 was my bedroom system amp and now I'm worried I won't find one as musical. But the TDB-3150 was just too good to pass up, especially for my HT set up with Strata Mini mains and a new Sharp Aquos LCD and Panny BD-35 Blu-Ray.  Let me know if the SP3 MKII is as good as the original; I've always wondered about that since I never heard the original. But the MKII is still very nice!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 24 Dec 2008, 04:45 am »
I sold my own SP-3 MkI about 3 years ago, so it will be hard to compare, especially since I'll be using different speakers.  I'll hook the SP3 up in my bedroom/computer rig:  PC > Stereolink USB DAC > Onix SP-3 > Monitor Audio Gold Ref 10's.  Right now I'm using my NAD C 3200BEE for this purpose.  Maybe I'll sell the NAD, maybe I'll box it and keep it...haven't decided yet.

ajzepp

« Reply #23 on: 24 Dec 2008, 04:55 am »
Rob, are you out of your MF'IN MIND!!! Oh, wait, Robin already said that....lol

Seriously, I'm a huge Butler fan. I have a 5150 and will be in the market for a 2250 if and when I pick up some Maggies. Hopefully I can find someone crazy enough to sell me one for $1050! lol 

As much great press as these amps get, they're still underrated IMO. Heckuva deal you offered up, Rob!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 24 Dec 2008, 05:11 am »
Yeah, I imagine I'll get another one eventually, either a 5150 or a 2250.  It probably won't be til I'm finished with school, though.

ajzepp

« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2008, 05:51 am »
Well I'm sure Mr. Butler will still be making excellent amps when you finish up your business :) 

Airborn

« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2008, 05:55 am »
You are 1 lucky guy IMHO! :notworthy: :thumb:
Thanks, Robin!  I think its a pretty good deal, even though I gave up my favorite tube integrated. :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2008, 06:01 am »
You are 1 lucky guy IMHO! :notworthy: :thumb:
Thanks, Robin!  I think its a pretty good deal, even though I gave up my favorite tube integrated. :thumb:

I have no doubt that either you'll be satisfied or Rob will make it right. To me that's a bonus on top of a bonus, mighty hard to pass up for anyone. Hopefully it'll work for you, good luck. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Airborn

« Reply #28 on: 24 Dec 2008, 06:31 am »
Hey Ajzeep, I know you have a Mapletree preamp; how is the synergy between the Butler and the MAD preamps?

ajzepp

« Reply #29 on: 24 Dec 2008, 06:38 am »
Hey Ajzeep, I know you have a Mapletree preamp; how is the synergy between the Butler and the MAD preamps?

I have no desire to change any of my 2-channel gear, if that gives you any idea :)  I was trying to maintain as much transparency as possible, while allowing for a bit of warmth and richness from the tubes, and I think I've accomplished that. I have no doubt that the Butler is allowing me to hear every detail of my music, and on top of that it's an amazing HT amp. I think that's why I really don't see myself owning anything else other than Butler amps. It's been three years, and I'm very  happy. I get plenty of current, they can drive any speaker, and then the presence of tubes is just an added bonus. My Mapletree is probably not happy with me right now, cause the only source I have running through it is a stock SB Duet with the red/white RCA cables  :duh:   My TADAC has a small issue with one of the phase switches, so I'm sending it back to Paul to replace it. The Mapletree can only do so much; it'll be much happier when I give it a more proper source. That being said, I'm listening to Jack Johnson right now, and the sound is very, very good :)

PS. I tell you what continues to amaze me, and I have to give credit to the Mapletree, is how good MP3s sound. If I played this Jordan Sparks "I Who Have Nothing" track (don't laugh!) or the Robin Thick tracks, you'd never believe it was an MP3...amazingly good! (Seriously, stop laughing...I can hear you!)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #30 on: 24 Dec 2008, 06:52 am »
Very good....many a time ....at a number of NY Rave's....that combo appeared.
My Butler or the Butler's in mono block form....and topround's Mapletree....its a nice preamp. :wink:
Their a very good match.... :thumb:

Airborn

« Reply #31 on: 24 Dec 2008, 07:04 am »
Thanks guys, I think I am going to enjoy the MAD pre + Butler combo. Merry Xmas to all.

ajzepp

« Reply #32 on: 24 Dec 2008, 07:08 am »
Very good....many a time ....at a number of NY Rave's....that combo appeared.
My Butler or the Butler's in mono block form....and topround's Mapletree....its a nice preamp. :wink:
Their a very good match.... :thumb:

Right on, Chris...When I first fired it up, I was pretty surprised at the difference it made. Dr. P is a great guy to deal with, and he doesn't seem all that worried about his profit margin,  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #33 on: 24 Dec 2008, 07:08 am »
Thanks guys, I think I am going to enjoy the MAD pre + Butler combo. Merry Xmas to all.
A post from topround... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=35916.msg320517#msg320517

Enjoy..... :thumb: