What will come in 2009????

M.adaM

What will come in 2009????
« on: 8 Dec 2008, 01:33 am »
Hi Kevin and everyone,

I just would like to know, what will happens in the next year??

Firstly, the Sicko-X subwoofer project.... The tread looks like been frozen for a while. It looks like an extraordinay sub with an insainly small footprint (after the theoretical size upgrade w. 2 passive radator.... would be nice to have a PAIR of them   :drool: :)  )
O.K, there is not too many people would need these at home, and would need to build a same quality and "tank-like" amp 4 it, but big clubs would like to have these for shure   :)

And what happend to the Tempest-X driver??? I miss them from your page!
I'm asking this, becouse I have a great exponential, back-loaded horn desighn (about 120l seald box where the driver sits; and the mouth is about  2.2meters X  0.5meter!!!) tuned to 22Hz, and it could handle 15" driver maximum. The only 15" driver was the Tempest (I can't use DPL) I have all the details to build the original Klipsh-Horn as well, witch have about 40L seald box in the midle, and would need a driver to do this toooo.

the exodus tweeter and midrange: really nice projects too.... are you planing to make MTM style Center, and tower from them??  (centers probably could be used for line array, crossed about 100-200Hz to mate with the sick Sicko-X sub's)

I was build a few kits from NorthCreek, and they are great. The reason I've sterted to talk with George, becouse he had the 18" Leviathan driver (custom Aura 1808) and at that time he told me, I should contact with you, 'couse Adire audio can make everything what's possibel on earth (Unfortunetly he was run out of all the frames when I made my order).
Since than I was looking Adire, and I'm really happy to find you guys again. There was a few issues with NCMS Leviathan's which I couldn't find enywhere else. It would great  to get kind of woofer  on the word again, (spec's like Fs 14Hz ...600 watts@20 Hz without bottom up.....)
Ater I buy  some kits I was going crazy. "I must build PA system with High-End speakers" -I sad. So I did, and have my first one finised. But soon I must make some upgrades... :)  and a second system will be needed :)
Everythig what George told or write to me was 100% true.
So you are the guys could make subwoofers I would need.
BTW,   I've tried the MAPD drive loading ( http://www.northcreekmusic.com/MAPD1.htm)  with mid-woofers, great thing indeed! Maybe you should try it with a SUB!!! 

A bit feel like outbanned 'couse I was born in Europe, and you don't send sub-drivers out of U.S., but I have a sister in Chicago :)

fackamato

Re: What will come in 2009????
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2008, 07:01 am »
The Tempest-X is out of stock AFAIK, should be in Jan/Feb? Not sure.

Bass horn? Got any curves on that?

M.adaM

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2008, 12:37 pm »

Here is it! the mesures ar in MILIMETERS!!!!!

http://rapidshare.com/files/172113451/exponenci_lis.jpg.html
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2008, 04:37 pm by M.adaM »

fackamato

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2008, 01:33 pm »

Here is it! the mesures ar in MILIMETERS!!!!!

Where? :)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2008, 04:47 pm »
Ok... I'm not sure where to start.

#1.   Tempest-X is out of stock until Feb. 2009.    It is getting some updated parameters as we increased the BL a little to better optimize it for smaller enclosures.    It also has dual 2-ohm coils, stitched-in tinsel leads and slightly more power handling due to the larger diameter coil.

#2.   Sicko-21" is in a holding pattern until we can get the cost down and find a build-house that will take it on.    I hope to make this a reality but for the moment, it is in a holding pattern.

#3.   We will have finished loudspeakers by the end of 2009.   The lineup will be a monitor, LCR monitor and a powered bass module that is designed to work with the monitors making them active designs with a high quality Hypex Class D amplifier solution and my own active signal processing.

For the moment those are the biggest adventures scheduled for next year.   Most of my development money is going into the speakers which are going to use the Exodus tweeter (XBL^2 design, 100% proprietary design that has been in the works for several years).   I'm also buying a CNC mill & CNC lathe for internal prototype work.     I hope to have it fully functioning by the end of 2009.   How quickly this happens has a lot to do with cash flow and how busy I am with the rest of the business.

M.adaM

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2008, 12:42 am »
The mesures 4 the exponential sub!!!

http://www.4shared.com/file/75713933/86222bdb/exponencilis.html

this link will work!!

fackamato

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2008, 08:11 pm »
The mesures 4 the exponential sub!!!

http://www.4shared.com/file/75713933/86222bdb/exponencilis.html

this link will work!!

120L sealed? That's way too small for a Tempest-X driver, IMO.

http://img137.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=99351_120l-sealed-tempest-x_122_874lo.jpg

At 1000W input. of course, a horn would be different.. but what about the frequency range?

M.adaM

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2008, 10:30 pm »

120L sealed? That's way too small for a Tempest-X driver, IMO.

http://img137.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=99351_120l-sealed-tempest-x_122_874lo.jpg

At 1000W input. of course, a horn would be different.. but what about the frequency range?

It's tuned to 22 Hz, and would need a 4th or 5th order subsonic filter under this. It's usable up to 200-250 Hz, but I would use it, up to 100 Hz only.

At the moment it's built around the Peerless XLS 12", but I would like to make another one with a 15"(it's maximum driversize)

But THIS is why I was asking: What do you think about MAPD drive loading: where the first chamber = Vas/3 (like a seald box) and it's coupled with a scan-vent or with another method to a second chamber = Vas (3 times biger)

And I don't know if the 120 sealed box of mine would been adjusted.... then the horn will have other problems (If I'm right, then you can't modify a back-loaded horn just like that, 'couse the sealed box is calculated, to mach the horn, for the best performance)

If I'm wrong, and it should be fine-tuned 4 the driver you use with it....... then the sealed box could be easily modified to be a bit, or a much biger!!!!

DS-21

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2008, 08:20 pm »

#1.   Tempest-X is out of stock until Feb. 2009.    It is getting some updated parameters as we increased the BL a little to better optimize it for smaller enclosures.    It also has dual 2-ohm coils, stitched-in tinsel leads and slightly more power handling due to the larger diameter coil.

#2.   Sicko-21" is in a holding pattern until we can get the cost down and find a build-house that will take it on.    I hope to make this a reality but for the moment, it is in a holding pattern.

#3.   We will have finished loudspeakers by the end of 2009.   The lineup will be a monitor, LCR monitor and a powered bass module that is designed to work with the monitors making them active designs with a high quality Hypex Class D amplifier solution and my own active signal processing.

For the moment those are the biggest adventures scheduled for next year.

No chance of a Koda 8-X? I'd love to see an 8" driver with a dual-gap motor, a shorting-ring setup similarly effective to that in my Maelstrom-X, and serious throw. I think it would do well in serious car audio, as well as be a great option for compact monitors to play above Maelstrom-X based subs.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2008, 11:48 pm »

For the moment those are the biggest adventures scheduled for next year.

No chance of a Koda 8-X? I'd love to see an 8" driver with a dual-gap motor, a shorting-ring setup similarly effective to that in my Maelstrom-X, and serious throw. I think it would do well in serious car audio, as well as be a great option for compact monitors to play above Maelstrom-X based subs.

Nope!   I have all my money spent for the year so unless I win the lottery (I don't play) the stuff above is the limit of "new" products.   

« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2008, 01:48 pm by Kevin Haskins »

jholtz

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2009, 09:23 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Any update on the Tempest X? Also, do you have any pricing yet and enclosure recommendations?

Thanks!

Jim

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2009, 02:23 am »
Hi Kevin,

Any update on the Tempest X? Also, do you have any pricing yet and enclosure recommendations?

Thanks!

Jim

Jim,

I'm glad you asked.   We have had a number of unexpected delays on the redesign of the Tempest-X & Shiva-X.   Sometimes you think a simple change will be easy and you find out otherwise. 

We have updated the design with a slightly larger coil in order to gain BL, decreasing box size, and increasing power handling.    We also added the AlCu inductance rings which improves the inductance with stroke & power.    The final update was to the suspension, which has been the main cause of the delays. 

The current status is I'm waiting for the most recent Klippel after the latest suspension change.   I've been told first week of April and assuming that this one hits the mark, I'll enter a production order.    At that point, I'll have a pretty good idea of final parameters and I'll make some box recommendations.    Lead time from that point is about 60 days.

I also should have the 21" Maelstrom in that same order.   The first sample is getting a Klippel at the same time and barring any unexpected problems, it should be on the same order as the new Tempest-X.    This thing is absolutely HUGE.   You have to see it to appreciate the size.   Add to that the impressive stroke of the Maelstrom motor, great inductance curve and usable parameters and I'm expecting these to rock.    The 18" Maelstrom-X has incredible output and sound quality.    The 21" offers a good 35% more cone area so it should appease even the most extreme output needs while maintaining the superb sound quality that the 18" has been know for.   

jholtz

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2009, 03:09 am »
Thanks for the update Kevin!

Jim

Craig Treusdell

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2009, 10:06 pm »
How about some more info on the 21?  :drool:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:20 pm »
How about some more info on the 21?  :drool:

It uses the same motor as the Maelstrom-18, with a different coil.   Obviously the basket & all the soft parts are different but the motor is almost identical giving it 32-33mm of one-way xmax, almost a full 10L of displacement.    :o 

For perspective the old Adire Tumult had 5L of total displacement, just over half of what this beast will be capable of delivering. 

Craig Treusdell

« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2009, 12:28 am »
One 21. Twice my Adire Tumult. Awesome Kevin! A chance to upgrade my Tumult without having to buy a second amp (and run another power line from the circuit breaker.) Wife is tired of black sheet covering Tumult box in corner...
What do you think - 8-12 ft^3 ported to about 16Hz? Hook me up!

Now how about an 8 or 10 that fits in about a 12" cube, ported to say 30-35Hz (with more of a rolloff to the port resonance than a hump), an xmax of around 25mm (more is okay) and power handling of 700-1000W?
In other words, something that will fit in my smaller SUV and car, take all of the power most sub amps put out, get the extra extension of a bass-reflex enclosure, and most importantly NOT sound boomy.
I've probably told this story before, but I once achieved the bass I've always wanted with an original Adire Tempest, 8 ft^3, vented at 16Hz (EBS design from Dan I think), in a Chevy Tahoe. It sounded good with all types of music. One problem. Space. I don't think much music really requires 16Hz. So I'd settle for around 30-35Hz. Tempest currently gathering dust in closet.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2009, 04:30 pm »
One 21. Twice my Adire Tumult. Awesome Kevin! A chance to upgrade my Tumult without having to buy a second amp (and run another power line from the circuit breaker.) Wife is tired of black sheet covering Tumult box in corner...
What do you think - 8-12 ft^3 ported to about 16Hz? Hook me up!

Now how about an 8 or 10 that fits in about a 12" cube, ported to say 30-35Hz (with more of a rolloff to the port resonance than a hump), an xmax of around 25mm (more is okay) and power handling of 700-1000W?
In other words, something that will fit in my smaller SUV and car, take all of the power most sub amps put out, get the extra extension of a bass-reflex enclosure, and most importantly NOT sound boomy.
I've probably told this story before, but I once achieved the bass I've always wanted with an original Adire Tempest, 8 ft^3, vented at 16Hz (EBS design from Dan I think), in a Chevy Tahoe. It sounded good with all types of music. One problem. Space. I don't think much music really requires 16Hz. So I'd settle for around 30-35Hz. Tempest currently gathering dust in closet.

I'm probably not going to do a 8" anytime soon.    We have a 10" Shiva-Jr. designed (uses same motor as Shiva & Tempest) but not sampled at this point.   Once I have Klippels on the current designs I'll probably add the Shiva-Jr.    It would be Brahma-like in output but a slightly smaller coil that is about 2.7" that we are rating at 800W power handling.   The cost really isn't any cheaper than the 12" but I'd still expect it to come in around $190-$200. 

The finished Exodus Speakers are next on my priority list and with the economic mess are going to take longer than expected.   

Oh... just to wet your whistle on the 21".   When Dan & I where dreaming up this beast this was his quote from the first model.

"Try 12 cubic feet, tuned to 12.5 Hz.  It’ll handle a full 2000W down to 10 Hz, and give you >110 dB SPL from 11 Hz and up, anechoic (meaning beyond 123 dB SPL at 11 Hz in room)."

Of course... you would need a massive port.    The PR-18"s work well with this beast so I can see a couple reference designs using the PRs.

Craig Treusdell

« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2009, 04:59 pm »
So what are the odds of this 21 incher playing in my speaker box?
Any estimated time and cost?
Preorder?
Please?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #18 on: 25 Apr 2009, 05:30 pm »
So what are the odds of this 21 incher playing in my speaker box?
Any estimated time and cost?
Preorder?
Please?

We are testing the sample now.    Cost is fairly solid at $590ish +/-  a couple dollars.   Time.... depends on if we need to make any adjustments to the design based upon the Klippel.    I'll know more late next week.

I won't be doing a pre-order.   Maybe once they are on the water I'll start taking orders.

Craig Treusdell

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2009, 04:31 am »
How are things coming along for 2009 Kevin?
We haven't heard from you in some time now  :(