My vintage turntable project - Elm Burl Base - NEW PICTURES!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
I decided to post this here on the Vinyl Circle rather than my forum. Sometime you just want to be "one of the guys".

I have a nice [very nice] Garrard Type A MK II table that works flawlessly. It is very clean as can be seen in teh photo below. I was listening to it for a while this afternoon going through my Musica Bella Phono stage.

It apparently came out of a console so I need to custom build a nice plinth for it. This will be a winter project an I want to take my time with it.

Here are a few question that some of you vintage table gurus can help me with:

1) Stick with the suspension or hard mount it?

2) A decent cartridge that would work with the original arm and not cost a fortune.

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2008, 06:08 pm by Response Audio »

Wayner

Re: My vintage turntable project - with some questions
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2008, 09:22 pm »
I think you should keep it suspended, as not to pick up motor noise. What is your plinth size and overall depth? For a cartridge, how about a cheap AT?

Wayner

lcrim

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2008, 09:30 pm »
There is a guy who restores these for what looks like a fair price. http://www.esotericsound.com/RecordChangers.htm
It appears that he keeps the suspension in place and he does recommend some cartridges.  Also says that the lubrication in most has turned to glue but yours apparently still runs.  Anyways, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2008, 09:34 pm »
Hi Wayner,
 I am not sure of the measurments yet but it is a pretty deep setup. There are cut-out patterns that can be found on various sites on the internet. I have read various article debating what type of setup sounds best. I know this is far from an audiophile table but there is somethingabouta vintage table played through an all tube system that simply allows you to forget about the components and enjoy the music :drool:

There is a guy who restores these for what looks like a fair price. http://www.esotericsound.com/RecordChangers.htm

Yes, this is Mike and I am well aware of his work. Spoke to him today in fact.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2008, 09:55 pm »
The only reason I ask is that I have a nice walnut base from my AR that is just takin' up space. If your gizmo could fit in it all you would have to do is make a new top. I do think it's alittle too big.

Wayne  :D

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2008, 11:14 pm »
Hi Wayner,
 I have an idea in mind for a really nice base but if you have pictures, I could be interested. This table is pretty deep probably needing 4.5"-5".

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2008, 11:25 pm »
My bases are only about 3" deep. I just kind of eyeballed the base and it's more like 2 3/4" high x 16 1/2" long and only 12 1/2" deep. I thought it was bigger myself. Darn.

Oh well.

Wayner :?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2008, 04:39 pm »
 I am really starting to enjoy this table. I came across a new inexpensive AT cartridge that has been laying around here for a while and threw it on this morning. It's funny how an old vintage table, not even in a base, playing through a very expensive modern system can be so satisfying.
 I think I will have to take an hour or so out of the end of my day to just sit down and enjoy some music.

Now to start working on a design for the base.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2008, 02:08 am »
Started on a base for this table. It is being constructed of various thicknesses of Baltic Birch Ply (.50" - 1.25"). Nothing real fancy on the design itself but thinking it will be finished in Walnut Burl veneer. I will be adding an IEC or Power-Con connector rather than the captive cord. It already has detachable interconnect cables and I just need to upgrade them and mount them to the base rather than underneath the table where they are currently located.

It was playing all day today and sounding pretty good. I threw 5 LP's on so I wouldn't have to leave the work bench after every side. At least changers are good for longer play time :lol:

If it wasn't a changer, I would add an additional arm board but I will save this for another table. I need to come across a vintage Dual, Thorens or different Garrard for this.

Listens2tubes

Re: My vintage turntable project
« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2008, 03:34 am »
Try replacing the springs with a section of foam swim noodle. I remember VPI recommending this as a DIY SAMA on the 19.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: My vintage turntable project
« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2008, 06:03 pm »
The weekends give me a chance to come in a play for a while. Below are some pictures of the base I am working on. It is Elm Burl real wood veneer. The picture was taken during a dry fit of the table in the cutout. Still need to apply many more coats of finish as well as add some footers.

Wayner

Re: My vintage turntable project - Elm Burl Base - NEW PICTURES!
« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2008, 06:43 pm »
Lookin' good, Bill!

Wayner  :D

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2008, 05:26 pm »
Lookin' good, Bill!

Thanks Wayner.....And sounding pretty good as well

orthobiz

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2008, 10:20 pm »
My dad had a similar table. Boy, it brings back memories.
Had a Sony reel to reel, Fisher stereo splitter box, Stromberg Carlson tube amp on one channel, unidentified other tube amp for the other channel and a Harman Kardon tube tuner. Sadly, it's all gone now.

Anyway, if a record skips you can put a penny on top of the tonearm. Worked like a charm back in the day!

If he were still alive he'd build you a plinth covered in light yellow fake wood FORMICA!!!

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2008, 10:52 pm »
Bill,

Pretend I'm John Thechairguy for a minute. "You've got to stuff a wee bit of plasticlay under the plinth to really pimp this bad boy out". (Now, John should be happy).  :lol:

That was fun for me, too!  aa

TheChairGuy

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:33 am »
Yes, yes  aa...and also Listen2Tubes mention of replacing the springs for foam swim noodles may be a good one.

John

Mariusz

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2008, 02:15 am »
Very, very nice. RA turntables anyone???????????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mariusz :thumb: