Watts sweeter

drummermitchell

Watts sweeter
« on: 4 Dec 2008, 01:53 am »
This maybe overkill,I'm wondering which has a sweeter top end(3B-sst or 7B-sst)
I'm assuming the 3B-sst(not sure)I was thinking(maybe I shouldn't think) of another pair of 7B-ssts(for m+h)
Would be nice if a 3B-sst came in mono blocks.
Of course the 28ssts reviews seem Awesome for bottom and highs,FrIG IT4X28-ssts
I'm definately ramblin,If I had 2X28-ssts for the bottom,i guess the highs would suffer using 7B-ssts'compared to using 28s for the highs. :scratch:What's a guy to do.

niels

Re: Watts sweeter
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2008, 04:48 pm »
Make an appointment with your physician.....

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2008, 09:57 pm »
Amazing,nobody knows whether the 3b-sst has a sweeter topend than the 7B-sst.
since you responded niels,I guess you don't either.

Viajero5000

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2008, 03:12 pm »
I would actually be quite interested in the answer to the above; specifically in my case, would the 3B-SST be able to provide a similar level quality as a 14B when used as a mid-range driver amp in a (PMC MB2) tri-amp situation? Given that the 3B-SST's power should be quite adequate for driving the mid-range driver, the question is whether its as smooth and open as the 14B in the mids. Similarly, would the 2B-LP make a good tweeter amp in this tri-amp? Perhaps James and the other forum members who have experience with the 3B-SST, 2B-LP and 14B-SST can advise.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2008, 03:19 pm »
Hi All,

I sent this to Drummer earlier in a PM.

Hi Don,

It’s an interesting question.  Most people assume that the tweeter is a very low powered driver so not much power is required.  Also most assume that a lowered powered amplifier having a less complicated output stage will sound more refined.

On the stacked PMC Active systems (BB5's, MB2's) for instance we use a 4B on the tweeters instead of a 3B because the highs just sound better. It is to some degree system dependent so there is no exact answer.

I have found the 28B’s sound really sweet on the tweeters but it does seem like overkill on just a tweeter. As a matter of fact we have a standing joke around here that the 28B is the best tweeter amp we know of. :lol: Some customers have used a 7B on the bass and a 28B on the mid/tweeter with good results.

James