White Macbook with D-Link WBR-2310 - wireless card embarassment

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
I installed this D-Link WBR-2310 Rangebooster G Router at a friends house. She has AT&T DSL which I set to bridged mode, and set up PPPoe on the router. My Toshiba Vista 64-bit laptop work fine (so far the wireless is unsecured for testing and setup).

Her Macbook does connect, but is really slow for wireless access to the internet (using the Macbook internal wireless card). However, when she runs Vista 32-bit under Parallels Desktop on her MacBook, her internet speed via the wireless router is very fast!   :o There should be a Microsoft commercial about this - Vista runs better than OS/X on a Mac...

So it seems that the Apple network stack is not set properly for this wireless access. Perhaps it is trying to run in 802.11b instead of 802.11g? Or perhaps some other tweaking is necessary. I am not a current Mac user, so I am hoping there is some standard things that should be changed on the OS/X side.

Anyone have any ideas?

Crimson

Did you set up a PPPoE service with Airport access in Preferences -> Network? Also check connection rate (en1) in Network Utility to see if there any errors. There are some routers that do not work well with OSX. You can also try this:

1) Unplug the modem
2) Configure the router with the PPPoE settings
3) unplug the router
4) Configure your mac to use DHCP, not PPPoE
5) Plug in the modem and wait for all lights to be solid
6) Plug in your router and wait for it to completely turn on
7) Renew your IP on your Mac

This may fix the problem.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
AT&T DSL ...Perhaps it is trying to run in 802.11b instead of 802.11g? O

Given that the DSl is many times slowewr than 802.11b that is unlikely to be the issue.

dave

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Did you set up a PPPoE service with Airport access in Preferences -> Network? Also check connection rate (en1) in Network Utility to see if there any errors. There are some routers that do not work well with OSX. You can also try this:

1) Unplug the modem
2) Configure the router with the PPPoE settings
3) unplug the router
4) Configure your mac to use DHCP, not PPPoE
5) Plug in the modem and wait for all lights to be solid
6) Plug in your router and wait for it to completely turn on
7) Renew your IP on your Mac

This may fix the problem.

I think we are already set up this way - will double check

wilsynet

It is strange that Windows running under a Vmware/Parallels guest is faster than the Mac natively.  That's bizarre.

A number of things come to mind:

1. Is it all web sites or a particular one?
2. Is Parallels running or in the background when you do your Safari test?  How much total memory do you have on the system?
3. Is it Safari in particular?  Have you tried Firefox?
4. Is it the MTU of the wireless interface?  Check the MTU size of en1 (your wireless interface).  If it's something like 1500 or 1400, you may want to try lowering it to 1356 bytes.  The following Apple article is a good reference for changing your MTU:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2532