Bryston SP-2: 5.1 Analog Inputs Q's

JohnnyB

Bryston SP-2: 5.1 Analog Inputs Q's
« on: 3 Dec 2008, 11:04 am »
I have several questions on using a Blu-ray players 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs feeding the SP-2's 5.1 analog inputs:

1.  Is the speaker configuration settings maintained (ie Large / Small)?

2.  Are the crossover frequencies maintained?

3.  Are channel delays maintained?

4.  Are the speaker level calibrations maintained?

The basis for these questions is to determine if the Bryston SP-2 setup work to balance my system against my rooms physical properties and my individual components is maintained when using the Blu-ray players audio processing and routing it through the SP-2.

Thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston SP-2: 5.1 Analog Inputs Q's
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2008, 11:10 am »
I have several questions on using a Blu-ray players 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs feeding the SP-2's 5.1 analog inputs:

1.  Is the speaker configuration settings maintained (ie Large / Small)?

2.  Are the crossover frequencies maintained?

3.  Are channel delays maintained?

4.  Are the speaker level calibrations maintained?

The basis for these questions is to determine if the Bryston SP-2 setup work to balance my system against my rooms physical properties and my individual components is maintained when using the Blu-ray players audio processing and routing it through the SP-2.

Thank you.

Hi Johnny,

No the analog inputs 'bypass' all the digital circutry in the SP2 so all settings MUST be done in the Player.

james

JohnnyB

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2008, 03:50 pm »
James,

I appreciate your quick reply. 

In summary, the Bryston SP-2 only applies the Volume control feature to the Blu-ray player outputs.  Is this correct?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2008, 04:23 pm »
James,

I appreciate your quick reply. 

In summary, the Bryston SP-2 only applies the Volume control feature to the Blu-ray player outputs.  Is this correct?

Hi Johnny - correct.

james

BrystonFan

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2008, 12:13 am »
Curious as to the proper setup of an SP2 with a PS3 ?
Seeing as the PS3 does not have 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs..... :scratch:

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2008, 12:26 am »
Curious as to the proper setup of an SP2 with a PS3 ?
Seeing as the PS3 does not have 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs..... :scratch:

You need to use the toslink out of the PS3 and just get plain old DD and DTS.  I have the PS3 in the secondary basement system with a non-HDMI rec'r and no immediate plans to upgrade as it does not see tons of use.  I have a Samsung BD-P2500 Blu-Ray player temporarily in the main system.  It does have multi-channel analog outs but no level controls.  When the Oppo Blu-Ray player is released its going to the bedroom system.  I do have analog level controls in the rec'r in the bedroom but it will be 8 yrs. old in March and I do have plans to replace it.  The Samsung can stream Netflix downloads to it and at future some point I might use that feature.  If I don't replace the bedroom rec'r before the Samsung is placed in their I can still get hi-def audio from those analog outs.  There is a picture of the new Oppo at Oppo's website (www.oppodigital.com) and it does show the SACD logo and its quite probably it may have analog level controls.