Best Blu Ray Demo movie

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Best Blu Ray Demo movie
« Reply #20 on: 4 Dec 2008, 12:40 am »
Same here.  My main room pj is a 720p Samsung 710 DLP PJ, on a Stewart Studiotek 130 110" screen.  Looks great.  My new flat panel in the family room will be 1080P (arrives this weekend) but it's a measly 46".   :wink:   No Ironman there, boys!!   8)

We are soooo lucky to be alive, huh.   :wine:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 4 Dec 2008, 12:45 am »
Same here.  My main room pj is a 720p Samsung 710 DLP PJ, on a Stewart Studiotek 130 110" screen.  Looks great.  My new flat panel in the family room will be 1080P (arrives this weekend) but it's a measly 46".   :wink:   No Ironman there, boys!!   8)

We are soooo lucky to be alive, huh.   :wine:

You are so right Ted...we have a 60" Sony in the family room with a pretty nice AV123 7.1 channel setup and nobody wants to watch a movie in there.  It only counts as movie watching if we watch it on the "BIG" screen (110" SmX acoustically transparent screen) downstairs.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #22 on: 4 Dec 2008, 01:37 am »
Hell Boy 2 because it also is in 7.1 and colors are intense.  Hellboy 1 made Jim ask me what movie that was as he was taken by the intense colors of 1080p.

Troy is nice also with the fight out front of the wall.  There is sun, shadows, dust.

In the Happening, note Zooey's facial hair on her cheeks in more detail than I wager she is happy about.

GHM

« Reply #23 on: 4 Dec 2008, 02:02 am »
Gangs of New York is another Blu ray with vibrant colors and details. I admit 720P does look great. Especially on a large screen. Once you fellows crossover to a full 1080P...we're talking a whole other ball game in home entertainment.
It makes 720P look 2-D. :o

The newest Blu rays being released now are the cream of the crop! I've had some bad experiences with a few of the older releases, that were less than stellar. Some don't look much better than a standard DVD. Just poor compression I suppose.

Phil Taylor

• Home Theater Systems
« Reply #24 on: 7 Dec 2008, 06:58 am »
I think The Hulk is truly Incredible on Blu-ray.  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 7 Dec 2008, 12:41 pm »
I think The Hulk is truly Incredible on Blu-ray.  :wink:

We finally watched this last night (it wouldn't play until I updated the firmware on my Samsung BPD-1400) and we all liked it.

The picture and sound were definitely above average in quality, while the movie itself was ok. 

George

mca

« Reply #26 on: 7 Dec 2008, 07:16 pm »
I watched Wanted last night and have no problem putting it at the top of my Blu Ray list  :thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #27 on: 7 Dec 2008, 11:49 pm »
I watched the entire Police concert that i referenced on the first page. It is truly top of the list for both AQ and PQ for blu-ray concerts. AMAZING  :thumb: and it will give your subs a serious workout...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 8 Dec 2008, 12:47 am »
I watched the entire Police concert that i referenced on the first page. It is truly top of the list for both AQ and PQ for blu-ray concerts. AMAZING  :thumb: and it will give your subs a serious workout...

I need to watch it again, it didn't grab me through the first half dozen songs, so I shut it off.

George

rydenfan

« Reply #29 on: 8 Dec 2008, 02:20 pm »

I need to watch it again, it didn't grab me through the first half dozen songs, so I shut it off.

George

Kinda ironic George because I had the same experience this weekend with the Rush concert  :?

Here is an interesting perspective on the Rush concert from someone who mixes sound for a living in Hollywood. I found his feelings pretty similar to mine.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15233309#post15233309

Big Red Machine

« Reply #30 on: 8 Dec 2008, 02:40 pm »
The Forbidden Kingdom

is in 7.1 DTS MA.  I liked the movie and the sound.

randytsuch

« Reply #31 on: 9 Dec 2008, 06:51 pm »
There is a list here
http://price-adjustment.com/BLURAY-audio

of movies by audio format.

7.1 list is not too large, but I hope it will be growing

Randy

Airborn

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jan 2009, 09:30 pm »
Well, now that I've had my Panasonic BD-35 Blu-ray player for over a month and watched a bunch of Blu-ray discs,  I thought I would revive this old thread and post my favorites for picture and sound, in no particular order:

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas
2. Kung Fu Panda
3. Hell Boy II
4. Black Hawk Down
5. Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds, Live at Radio City
6. All the Pirates of the Caribbean

For anyone sitting on the fence about Blu-ray, as I was, all I can say is that it really does make a difference, especially if you have a true 1080p 24fps capable source, player and projector/TV.  I don't even have a Receiver that can decode the hi def formats, DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD, but the video and audio is still outstanding and a cut above what I experienced previously in my HT.  The panny even upconverts standard DVDs fairly well.  I am sure the experience will only get better once everything is connected via HDMI, but for now I am very satisfied with my HT Blu-ray performance.

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #33 on: 25 Jan 2009, 04:59 am »
Kung Fu Panda
Any of the Pirates of the Carribean
The Thing - Perfect for showing off what can be done with films released almost 30 years ago!

RAW

« Reply #34 on: 25 Jan 2009, 06:28 pm »
Pirates for sure.

Watched it again the other day on the new Epson 6100 1080p with the 106" screen.

And lets not forget CARS. The colours as just stunning!