Coffee grinders

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Coffee grinders
« Reply #20 on: 1 Dec 2008, 03:18 am »
The kitchenaid has more torque than any other grinder I've used.  Probably the best non-commercial grade grinder out there.

and unlike the Capresso, it doesn't create a mess due to static electricity.  If my old Gaggia ever dies, the Kitchenaid is what I would replace it with.

Jeff Ward

« Reply #21 on: 1 Dec 2008, 05:02 am »
I used a Pavoni for years, but my wife thought it was broken and I bought a Maestro Plus to replace it. The Pavoni was kind of a pain and the bin developed tons of hairline cracks (though it never really broke). It turns out that the Pavoni wasn't really broken (power cord malfunction). I now use that one while traveling because it's smaller.

The Maestro Plus was recommended by my favorite roaster, http://www.paradiseroasters.com/product/MAESTRO-PLUS/Baratza_Maestro_Plus_Coffee_Grinder.html, (Paradise Roasters, highly recommended as well). It has performed much better than the Pavoni in terms of not "cooking" the beans while grinding them-- excellent in every way and I've never had any sort of difficulty with it in over a year.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #22 on: 1 Dec 2008, 05:17 am »
I used a Pavoni for years, but my wife thought it was broken and I bought a Maestro Plus to replace it. The Pavoni was kind of a pain and the bin developed tons of hairline cracks (though it never really broke). It turns out that the Pavoni wasn't really broken (power cord malfunction). I now use that one while traveling because it's smaller.

The Maestro Plus was recommended by my favorite roaster, http://www.paradiseroasters.com/product/MAESTRO-PLUS/Baratza_Maestro_Plus_Coffee_Grinder.html, (Paradise Roasters, highly recommended as well). It has performed much better than the Pavoni in terms of not "cooking" the beans while grinding them-- excellent in every way and I've never had any sort of difficulty with it in over a year.

Was your Pavoni like the one pictured in my previous post? I've had my burr ginder for over 6 years now and it has worked like a charm, no cracks in the plastic bin nor burnt coffee grinds. I don't do fine grind tho, maybe that would cause issues but I'm 1/2 way on the settings and have found the slicers to be easy to clean with a sash brush.

Cheers,
Robin

Christof

« Reply #23 on: 2 Dec 2008, 01:10 pm »
Damn, if I had read this thread a couple days earlier you could of had a vintage Kitchenaid/Hobart A9 grinder for $15, passed on one at a local estate auction....auctioneer thought it was a blender that was missing it's blades :duh: 

I have an old A9 that works very well for my non-espresso needs, find then at antique stores from time to time.