Tropic Thunder

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: Tropic Thunder
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2008, 11:33 pm »
Well I think the movie has made a pop culture impression: Downey's character, the whole full retard thing, the cameo etc...
The opening and closing scenes are too funny.  Seeing the opening scene in the theater, the sheer pin drop silence of some of the crowd was priceless.  Most didn't know what to think as it just comes out of nowhere and is so bold.  I found the whole audience-film exchange interesting.  But all the little subtle things in the movie just amuse me, which I guess if one isn't tuned in or has a frame of reference for those things may seem pointless or non-eventful or it's just not funny.

I did enjoy Borat as well.
Ajzepp you and I need to go see Black Dynamite together.

ajzepp

« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2008, 02:03 am »
Well I think the movie has made a pop culture impression: Downey's character, the whole full retard thing, the cameo etc...
The opening and closing scenes are too funny.  Seeing the opening scene in the theater, the sheer pin drop silence of some of the crowd was priceless.  Most didn't know what to think as it just comes out of nowhere and is so bold.  I found the whole audience-film exchange interesting.  But all the little subtle things in the movie just amuse me, which I guess if one isn't tuned in or has a frame of reference for those things may seem pointless or non-eventful or it's just not funny.

I did enjoy Borat as well.
Ajzepp you and I need to go see Black Dynamite together.

:lol:  Heck yeah!  We'll just have to "keep it down so we don't wake up the rest of the bitches"  :lol: :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2009, 05:11 pm »
Wow, this movie sucks.  :roll:
Got it from Netflix, watched the first half last night. Had to stop to keep our sanity. May or may not watch the second half tonight, depends if we regain the intelligence it sucked out of our heads. It's just plain stupid. It's not funny, period. We're 50 minutes into it and neither of us have laughed yet. I found myself waiting for the next course of food for the subwoofer as it's got a few tasty morsels as far as that goes, but......
Wow.
Can't say I've ever seen a movie that sucked so bad. Glad I didn't buy it.
The all star cast (imo) should leave this one off their resume.

Bob

ajzepp

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2009, 06:16 pm »
Why would they leave it off their resumes? It made money and the critics loved it!  :scratch:

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jan 2009, 06:25 pm »
I found it uninteresting until the Tom Cruise scene.  Once I saw what Tom did, it helped me put into context the balance of the film.

It is not for everyone, but I do have to say I really laughed a lot at some of the zany stuff in the back half...

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #25 on: 11 Jan 2009, 06:26 pm »
Why would they leave it off their resumes? It made money and the critics loved it!  :scratch:

Not only that, this movie is winning awards. I'm not sure what it was as I was just channel surfing and I saw Ben Stiller standing with the award in his hand. I instantly changed the channel. Having to listen to him in that movie was bad enough as it was.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

ajzepp

« Reply #26 on: 11 Jan 2009, 06:30 pm »
 :lol:

maxwalrath

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jan 2009, 07:20 pm »
That scene with the rapper making fun of the dingo and Robert Downey Jr. saying he was crossing the line was hilarious.

Whitese

« Reply #28 on: 11 Jan 2009, 07:35 pm »
I enjoyed this movie quite a bit...i thought it was consistently funny throughout.  And I love Ingmar Bergman movies as well, so go figure.

Some of these movies are tough as one day you may find them funny and other times maybe not....  The only 2 movies I ever walked out of was Chicago and The Cat with a Hat...

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2009, 04:16 am »

Not only that, this movie is winning awards. I'm not sure what it was as I was just channel surfing and I saw Ben Stiller standing with the award in his hand. I instantly changed the channel. Having to listen to him in that movie was bad enough as it was.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

So Ben doesn't win for going full retard in "Simple Jack" but gets awards for "Tropic Thunder".
I guess Downey Jr. was right.

Stiller's Scorcher VI: Hell Hot in Harlem in 3D is set for release.

rydenfan

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2009, 04:15 pm »

So Ben doesn't win for going full retard in "Simple Jack" but gets awards for "Tropic Thunder".
I guess Downey Jr. was right.

Stiller's Scorcher VI: Hell Hot in Harlem in 3D is set for release.

Classic post  :thumb:

I thought this movie was so funny on so many different levels. And I still view Tom's performace as the greatest cameo ever.