Recommended Audio/Video that MUST be Heard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Recommended Audio/Video that MUST be Heard
« on: 26 Nov 2008, 07:15 pm »
Hi All,

Thought it might be nice to start a list from everyone of Music or Videos that MUST be heard.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: Recommended Audio/Video that MUST be Heard
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2008, 07:16 pm »
Some from other posts by Bryston Circle members are:

1. Emmylou Harris-amazing cd is the Tuscon Sessions

2. I would like to recommend an excellent  cd that came out last year; it's called "raising sand" by alison krauss and robert plant. a totally amazing piece of music by any standards

3. Emmy Lou Harris disc that really grabs me, but if repeated playing can wear out a CD (presumably not), I'd better get another copy of "Wrecking Ball."

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2008, 07:47 pm »
As far as kick drum and razor sharp cutting guitar:

#1-Larry Carlton-cd (On solid ground#2 All in good time-8:39 length.She builds and builds.
The whole cd is great,but #2,it makes me leave my physical self and travel thru the great beyond.
#2-Lee ritenour-World of brazil
I really like music with meaty bottom end,great guitar,space,actually any great recordings that grab me emotionally.James I'll be checkin out those two you mentioned.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2008, 09:04 pm »
HI Don,

If you like low end check out the sound track from ...."Transformers".... on the JBL 1400 Arrays it is mind boggling!

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Score-Steve-Jablonsky/dp/B000VFGQHK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1227733223&sr=1-2

james

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2008, 09:07 pm »
Miles_Gurtu

It's my all-time numero uno demo disc. Whenever it gets played I have people asking what it is.

Well worth checking out.

-Mike

KeithA

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2008, 10:06 pm »
1. Anything by Alison Krauss!

2. Lyle Lovett - I like 'Joshua Judges Ruth' and 'Lyle Lovett & His Really Large Band'

3. Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue (quirky...but great!)

4. Nickel Creek - This Side

5. Patty Griffin - Living With Ghosts (Let Him Fly is I think one of nicest natural recording I've heard. The Dixie Chicks covered it a few years back)

Keith

b5pt9

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2008, 11:31 pm »
Pretenders - The Isle of View.  Great recording and great music IMO.

KeithA

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2008, 12:22 am »

2. I would like to recommend an excellent  cd that came out last year; it's called "raising sand" by alison krauss and robert plant. a totally amazing piece of music by any standards

3. Emmy Lou Harris disc that really grabs me, but if repeated playing can wear out a CD (presumably not), I'd better get another copy of "Wrecking Ball."

James...I own all those you have mentioned :thumb:

Can't beat Emmylou.......

Keith

Viajero5000

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2008, 12:05 pm »
one interesting cd that i was listening to last night is Mexico's 'Rodrigo y Gabriela's live in Manchester' CD (fast, rhythmic classical guitar and percussion) ... the benefit of having Bryston's clarity and dynamics really does get you a bit closer to the sound of a live performance.

predrag

« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2008, 02:01 pm »
MY favorites and closest to the CD player:

Oscar Peterson Trio: We get requests
Michel Petrucciani & Eddy Louiss: Conference de Presse
Mighty Sam McClain: several CD-s
Pinetop Perking: Born In the Delta
Tracy Chapman: Greatest hits
Keith Jarret: Concert in Koeln 1975
AC DC: Black ice
and many more...

Cheers!

P.S. Right now after work I must have those two CDs from Emy Lou Harris!

drummermitchell

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2008, 02:49 pm »
I ordered the two cds James had mentioned(Emmylou Harris)from the site he posted(Amazon.com)
I use to order from cd plus,elusive disc,now I have alot more choices,Thanks for the info James.

ChrisBo

« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2008, 08:38 pm »
I just picked up the following and all three sound great!  It's fun discovering new types of music ....now I can't wait for my BCD-1  aa

Beatles - Love (CD)
UFO - Obsession (LP)
Beethoven Symphony No3 "Eroica" (SACD)

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2008, 10:00 pm »

Phoenix

« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2008, 10:21 pm »
1. Italian Concerto - The Harp Consort - Andrew Lawrence-King - DHM (Deutsche Hamonia Mundi)

2. Lassus - The Hillard Ensemble - ECM New Series

3. Conan The Barbarian - Soundtrack - Milan

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2008, 07:29 am »
I recommend everything...you have no idea about some of the gnarly stuff (punk, goth, very heavy metal, thrash etc.) I've thrown at my 4BSST, and it handles it quite well overall. I have driven the amp into clipping, however. This is with the volume turned all the way up, mind you. All of this stuff a lot of people call "noise" does in fact sound great too with Bryston equipment!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2008, 11:39 am »
I recommend everything...you have no idea about some of the gnarly stuff (punk, goth, very heavy metal, thrash etc.) I've thrown at my 4BSST, and it handles it quite well overall. I have driven the amp into clipping, however. This is with the volume turned all the way up, mind you. All of this stuff a lot of people call "noise" does in fact sound great too with Bryston equipment!

Hi Dave,

OK give us a good example of a recording of this 'noise' and I will pick it up and broaden my horizons.

james

MaxCast

« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2008, 01:56 pm »
Thanks for the Miles_Gurtu rec, Mike.  I'll have it for Christmas.

Here is a cd that I listen to regularly.
http://www.jennamammina.com/

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2008, 06:43 pm »

Hi Dave,

OK give us a good example of a recording of this 'noise' and I will pick it up and broaden my horizons.

james

try this: Roky Erickson 'Casting The Runes'

al.

mkaiser

« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:20 pm »

Hi James,
If you are into broadening your horizons of music that is shunned as "noise" globally here are a few that i think you will think are not noise although classified. You be the judge.  aa

1.) Therion - "Deggial": these guys are a symphonic metal band with loads of talent.
2.) Opeth - "Blackwater Park": again, loads of talent ranging from heavy metal to 1970's influenced Rock & Roll with mellow passages.
3.) Lake Of Tears - "Forever Autumn": a mix of heavy metal and goth metal with classical influences. Highly recommended.
4.) Opeth - "Damnation": highly recommended to everyone regardless of their music tastes.

I think after listening to these bands you will not add them to your collection (OK, maybe Opeth's Damnation CD) but, you will clearly see that heavy metal is not junk and is indeed very open minded musically.

PS - James/all, i'am not saying you are part of the crowd that labels "metal music" as crap but, you will be suprised by these performances. Enjoy the experience and post your responses.   :thumb:

-Mark

KeithA

« Reply #19 on: 29 Nov 2008, 12:00 am »

James, on the Emmy Lou front....do you have a copy of the live album "Spyboy" (or the DVD for that matter). It has some Wrecking Ball tunes on there. A couple of the tracks are monsters!

As well, toss in another plug for Nickel Creek "This Side". Produced by Alison Krauss. It's one of my favourite albums.

Keith