Columbia Records Radio Hour #1

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Columbia-Records-Radio-Hour/dp/B000002ATE

Superb!

Keith

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Recommended Audio/Video that MUST be Heard
« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2008, 09:53 pm »
I recommend everything...you have no idea about some of the gnarly stuff (punk, goth, very heavy metal, thrash etc.) I've thrown at my 4BSST, and it handles it quite well overall. I have driven the amp into clipping, however. This is with the volume turned all the way up, mind you. All of this stuff a lot of people call "noise" does in fact sound great too with Bryston equipment!

Hi Dave,

OK give us a good example of a recording of this 'noise' and I will pick it up and broaden my horizons.

james

Ok, sure James...here's a few.

The Exploited-'Singles Collection'

Sisters of Mercy-'Vision Thing'

Iron Maiden-'The Number of the Beast'

Kiss-'Alive box set'

mclsound

« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2008, 11:42 pm »
i grew up on:
age 10-12......Elvis and the Bay City Rollers
then came ALCOHOL-   KISS, AC/DC,TED NUGENT
THEN CAME????   -LED ZEPPLIN,FLOYD,SABBETH
THEN CAME the Dr. -   Frank Sinatra,Santana

BUT nothing sounds like (at 120db)    LOW RIDER by War

john

ian.ameline

« Reply #23 on: 1 Dec 2008, 10:31 pm »
Virtually anything on JVCs XRCD. They all sound amazing. (and not subtly better -- they're night and day better than the original pressings on CD.)

My current favorite (Bill Evans);

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JVCXR-0036
Recorded live in LA, May 14 and 19, 1963.

On XRCD played back through a BDA-1/BP25/4B-ST it sounds like it was recorded yesterday -- and it sounds like you're right *there*. (The disc was ripped with apple loss-less compression and the source is played from a mac mini through the digital out set at 44.1/16 for bit accurate playback to the magic of the BDA-1.)

Another great;
http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JVCXR-0032

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 7 Dec 2008, 03:39 am »
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer.

Gentlemen this guys in the room with you!

james

denjo

« Reply #25 on: 7 Dec 2008, 04:26 am »
Saving Private Ryan on DVD! Awesome!

KeithA

« Reply #26 on: 7 Dec 2008, 04:54 am »

james

ok

I'll hunt that one down.

Keith

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #27 on: 7 Dec 2008, 05:07 am »

james

I love that album.

Viajero5000

« Reply #28 on: 7 Dec 2008, 06:08 pm »
Spent the morning shining up my system, biwiring with fresh cables, repositioning the speakers a bit and toeing them in, flipping through old cds, etc etc.... generally what a lad likes to do on a sunday morning... popped in an old cd by Roger Waters called 'Amused to Death'... now this cd would really stack up as solid evidence in the 'good two channel is better than mediocre multi-channel' debate... my brain could not for the life of me detect where some of those sounds were coming from! Material seemed to be popping up from around the back corners of the room, the right and left walls, behind me... i had to get up a couple of times to make sure that i wasn't in fact hearing noises from adjacent rooms.

i think part of it has to do with the fact that i've toed in my speakers so that the imaginary line from the speakers to the listening position intersects a little before the listener as opposed to a little behind, and the speakers are now facing moreso towards the opposite room corners than before... it was quite a lot of fun. the last time i heard this cd was a few years ago on a 'mid-fi' system, and i didn't experience this effect at all on that system.

KeithA

« Reply #29 on: 7 Dec 2008, 07:40 pm »
Spent the morning shining up my system, biwiring with fresh cables, repositioning the speakers a bit and toeing them in, flipping through old cds, etc etc.... generally what a lad likes to do on a sunday morning... popped in an old cd by Roger Waters called 'Amused to Death'... now this cd would really stack up as solid evidence in the 'good two channel is better than mediocre multi-channel' debate... my brain could not for the life of me detect where some of those sounds were coming from! Material seemed to be popping up from around the back corners of the room, the right and left walls, behind me... i had to get up a couple of times to make sure that i wasn't in fact hearing noises from adjacent rooms.

i think part of it has to do with the fact that i've toed in my speakers so that the imaginary line from the speakers to the listening position intersects a little before the listener as opposed to a little behind, and the speakers are now facing moreso towards the opposite room corners than before... it was quite a lot of fun. the last time i heard this cd was a few years ago on a 'mid-fi' system, and i didn't experience this effect at all on that system.

Doesn't that recording use "Q-Sound' or something to give its effects?

Keith

Viajero5000

« Reply #30 on: 7 Dec 2008, 07:55 pm »
you're right, just looked it up... some sort of 3D processing... also used in Madonna's 'The Immaculate Collection', which I also dug up today and has a similar effect on some tracks... seems like its now defunct?

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 7 Dec 2008, 09:34 pm »
you're right, just looked it up... some sort of 3D processing... also used in Madonna's 'The Immaculate Collection', which I also dug up today and has a similar effect on some tracks... seems like its now defunct?

QSound - which Madonna used is still around - http://www.qsound.com/demos/3d-audio.htm

I still have a couple of Carver Sonic Holography units.  I have them between the analog outs of the LD players in the main and basement systems and about every year or so someone asks what it is and I play something.

joey116

« Reply #32 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:15 am »
Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris - Real Live Roadrunning DVD

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFSM2125178&catid=20485

I had never listened to Emmylou Harris before James T. started this thread, although have always been a big Knopfler fan, this is an amazing DVD well worth picking up.

PS DTS 5.1 and Stereo, but no DD5.1, excellent recording for a live show.

Paul

Crimson

« Reply #33 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:29 am »
Nine Inch Nails: (Modern Mozart of noise and distortion!) The Fragile, Broken, and The Slip (also available at 24/96)
Tool: 10,000 Days
Audioslave: Audioslave
Sigur Ros : ( )
Tony Levin: World Diary
Peter Gabriel: Hit
Massive Attack: Collected
Beck: Sea Change
Andy Summers: World Gone Strange

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #34 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:04 am »

james

Yes, agreed.  And the HDAD of it (either side, really, the 24/96 PCM side or 24/192 DVD-A side) is quite extraordinary.

And yes, the Roger Waters ATD is Q-Sound at it's finest.  I sometimes use the dog barking way right of soundstage (almost right shoulder, about 30 seconds into the album I think) to test whether my toe-in is correct.  If you lose the dog in the ether when you move your head at all then your center fill is too much and you need to back off the toe-in.  I, too, use a toe in that crosses in front of me slightly.  Here's a nice review of the Q-sound effects in it, track by track:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/waters.htm

vegasdave

« Reply #35 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:27 am »
I must say that vinyl sounds superb through the phono stage in my BP6. If you don't have a Bryston phono stage...get one!!!

Right now, I'm listening to the best of uriah heep, uk pressing, cut @ Townhouse.

Mag

« Reply #36 on: 10 Dec 2008, 05:21 pm »
Burn - Deep Purple, re-mastered played on the BCD-1 sounds incredible. The whole disc is good but particularly the song Burn.

vegasdave

« Reply #37 on: 11 Dec 2008, 02:55 am »
That's cool. Believe it or not, Motörhead sounds good through Bryston equipment...I am not kidding!

Mag

« Reply #38 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:40 am »
When I was considering the BCD-1, I asked the question, could Made in Japan by Deep Purple get any better than what I was currently hearing. I grew up on Made in Japan. Must have played it a zillion times and I still play it at least once a week.

Anyway as I mentioned previously, I restored Made in Japan with the BCD-1 process. The results have far exceeded all expectations of what I thought was possible.

When your system is capable of playing rock with all the cliches of audio. You know it can play any other genre of music equally well.

mpaulsen

« Reply #39 on: 11 Dec 2008, 05:29 am »

james

I think the MOFI pressing of Folk Singer is one of the best albums I have ever heard.

Another album I highly recommend is Linda Burman-Hall's "J.S. Bach: Two Faces of Genius"
http://www.amazon.com/J-S-Bach-Two-Faces-Genius/dp/B0000AKMXV/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1228972665&sr=1-9
Amazing playing, fantastic sound quality, and great music. If you like harpsichord works you can't go wrong with it.