I need help naming this new speaker...

rodge827

Re: I need help naming this new speaker...
« Reply #80 on: 27 Nov 2008, 05:24 pm »
Venue !!!  :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #81 on: 27 Nov 2008, 05:25 pm »
 :D  Venue is very classy.Danny,why no kit for ease of shipping and costs for the woodworkers here....??  i might bite on a kit for Canada....thks :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #82 on: 27 Nov 2008, 05:28 pm »
I'll do kits as well as fully assembled models.

2bigears

« Reply #83 on: 27 Nov 2008, 05:32 pm »
:D thks Danny, now your talkin' a poor boys native tongue.be a good winter project,do you have a kit stamp yet.... :D

nrenter

« Reply #84 on: 27 Nov 2008, 05:43 pm »
Yeah, I'm going with "Venue" as well. I think it's much more classy and presents a better brand image than "Cobra". No one want's to spend $5k on Cobra. However, a $5k Venue will fly out the doors.

No matter how good they sound, they'll now have to look as good (if not better than) WerTicus's mock-ups. He set the bar high for you, Danny.

2bigears

« Reply #85 on: 27 Nov 2008, 05:48 pm »
 :D  the next big question is....how do they sound in home ????? time will tell.get them to a rave or two with some good amps and see what the guys say. :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #86 on: 27 Nov 2008, 06:22 pm »
No matter how good they sound, they'll now have to look as good (if not better than) WerTicus's mock-ups.

I think I have this covered.

the next big question is....how do they sound in home ?????

I know I have this part covered. This one is a home run.

I had Gary Dodd and gang over the Saturday before last, and I can't wait for a huge group of you guys to hear these. This one is really special. You'll see. :D

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #87 on: 27 Nov 2008, 06:29 pm »
As I was enjoying my OB7's with the servo sub in the OB H frame, I tried to imagine what these babies might sound like and tried to think of some kind of name.

What about Elemental? I think it captures essence of being bold, powerful, but natural.

Or what about a simple GR Research H.E. (series?) as in High Efficiency. Then you could consider the different models as number of components. So the coax, sub, and rear tweet could be called HE-3's, or no tweet HE-2's, etc...  {I think high sensitivity is more proper than high efficiency, but I just like HE better than HS}

-Tony

Oops... Now I see this had already been narrowed down

Cayenne

« Reply #88 on: 28 Nov 2008, 12:07 am »
Venue  :thumb:

markC

« Reply #89 on: 28 Nov 2008, 01:53 am »
Danny, are you willing to disclose any crossover component discriptions, slope, frequency?

WerTicus

« Reply #90 on: 28 Nov 2008, 02:47 am »
my ob subwoofer has really broken in now... sounds killery sweet, has been playing the whole time I was making this artwork ;)

New updating coming soon, just waiting for the last update to the side cutout from Danny, which integrates the spikes.  I've made the coax driver look like the real one now too instead of just being a 3rd woofer  :oops:

Danny Richie

« Reply #91 on: 28 Nov 2008, 03:33 am »
Danny, are you willing to disclose any crossover component discriptions, slope, frequency?

It's a first order crossover with a crossover point at 1kHz. The rear tweeter gets a Sonicap and the front tweeter gets a Sonicap by-passed by a Sonicap Platinum. The inductor on the woofer is an Erse XQ (air core perfect lay type).

nrenter

« Reply #92 on: 28 Nov 2008, 03:49 am »

It's a first order crossover with a crossover point at 1kHz. The rear tweeter gets a Sonicap and the front tweeter gets a Sonicap by-passed by a Sonicap Platinum. The inductor on the woofer is an Erse XQ (air core perfect lay type).

Are you going to put an attenuator on the rear-facing tweeter? Just curious. I figure if you can dial in the low end, and dial in the "air", in theory this speaker should be able to play anywhere.

WerTicus

« Reply #93 on: 28 Nov 2008, 06:35 am »
Here is the final artwork - please feel free to check out my other work on my website in my sig should you need some high end 3d artwork of your own ;-)

small version:

big version:

The lower link goes to an automatically resizing image if you click on it you should get the full sized image which is nearly native res for a 30inch monitor, in case someone fancies a wallpaper..

wje

« Reply #94 on: 28 Nov 2008, 01:32 pm »
Venue is a great name!  :thumb:

While JBL has the "Venue" series of speakers, it just doesn't seem as fitting for them - considering that they're representing some of the lower end of JBL speakers at the moment.

ebag4

« Reply #95 on: 28 Nov 2008, 02:06 pm »
Venue is a great name!  :thumb:

While JBL has the "Venue" series of speakers, it just doesn't seem as fitting for them - considering that they're representing some of the lower end of JBL speakers at the moment.

Bummer...I just checked the JBL website and the Venue Series name appears to be Trade Marked.  I don't know what implications that brings with it but it is probably not good.  Sorry Danny, I should have checked. :duh:

Best,
Ed

arthurs

« Reply #96 on: 28 Nov 2008, 02:51 pm »

I really would like for a group of you guys to hear these. Maybe a little listening party is in order.

Well guys, I liked two of the suggested names.

I like the "Cobra" name and the "Venue" name. Maybe you guys can give me feedback on those two?

We could have one here if you like Danny....

I'm firmly in the Cobra camp....

mcgsxr

« Reply #97 on: 28 Nov 2008, 02:59 pm »
I strongly recommend sending up a kit to Denny in Canada, so I can get an ear on these!

Cobra remains my favourite too.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #98 on: 28 Nov 2008, 04:07 pm »

I really would like for a group of you guys to hear these. Maybe a little listening party is in order.

Well guys, I liked two of the suggested names.

I like the "Cobra" name and the "Venue" name. Maybe you guys can give me feedback on those two?

We could have one here if you like Danny....

I'm firmly in the Cobra camp....

I also like Cobra.

What day should I book my flight for?   aa

George

ebag4

« Reply #99 on: 28 Nov 2008, 04:14 pm »
Well, if my "Venue" is out I like "IMPACT".

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2008, 04:32 pm by ebag4 »