Channel 1 just died on my 4B SST

Rod_S

Channel 1 just died on my 4B SST
« on: 23 Nov 2008, 04:00 pm »
Good morning James;

Hopefully you will see this. When I turned on my 4B SST this morning I noticed that the Channel 1 LED did not come on. Initially I thought it may be just an issue between the SSP and the amp but I have swapped out cables and switched inputs around and channel 1 is definitely not active. My dilemma is the retail store I purchased the amp from is no longer a Bryston dealer and there are no more Bryston dealers in my area that I know of. I will call my dealer in the morning to see if they will honor the repair considering I bought the unit from them but should they not accept the amp or agree to take it but charge me for a repair even though it is still well under the 20 year warranty (it was purchased in early 2001) how should I proceed? Would I need to send the amp back to Bryston?

Thanks;

Rod

jaywills

Re: Channel 1 just died on my 4B SST
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2008, 04:41 pm »
Internal or external fuses to check (usually x # of fuses/channel)?  Good luck.  Cordially,

joey116

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2008, 05:14 pm »
I would contact Mike P. @ Bryston, I'm sure James will provide his email, I lost a channel on my 9BSST a couple of weeks ago, Mike took me thru checking and replacing the internal fuses, apparently they can fail occasionally, if your comfortable with doing this.
Paul

denjo

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2008, 05:18 pm »
Hi Rod

It could be the membrane switch that needs to be replaced. While I was at my dealer's showroom, I saw a Bryston amplifier (cannot remember which model but it was definitely the SST series) which had just been repaired with a new membrane switch. I even saw the old membrane strip. If that is the problem, I am told its quite a simple, straightfoward procedure.

Best of luck!

Best Regards
Dennis

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2008, 05:55 pm »
Good morning James;

Hopefully you will see this. When I turned on my 4B SST this morning I noticed that the Channel 1 LED did not come on. Initially I thought it may be just an issue between the SSP and the amp but I have swapped out cables and switched inputs around and channel 1 is definitely not active. My dilemma is the retail store I purchased the amp from is no longer a Bryston dealer and there are no more Bryston dealers in my area that I know of. I will call my dealer in the morning to see if they will honor the repair considering I bought the unit from them but should they not accept the amp or agree to take it but charge me for a repair even though it is still well under the 20 year warranty (it was purchased in early 2001) how should I proceed? Would I need to send the amp back to Bryston?

Thanks;

Rod

Hi Rod,

Sounds like one side of the amp has a shorted output.  Send me a private email with the serial number and dealer purchased from and I will confirm the warranty. 

james

PS- where are you located?

Rod_S

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2008, 06:20 pm »
Thanks for the responses everyone. By the sounds of things it's probably nothing serious and hopefully can be fixed easily enough and in a quick turn around. Hopefully I'll know tomorrow.

Rod

b5pt9

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2008, 06:38 pm »
Yeah where are you located, maybe I could lend you my spare 4BST to keep you going. :D :D

Rod_S

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2008, 06:44 pm »
Yeah where are you located, maybe I could lend you my spare 4BST to keep you going. :D :D

lol, that's good. However I'll be fine as I have another 4BSST and a 6BSST so basically I'm just out my back channels for the time being :)

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2008, 10:27 pm »
Good morning James;

Thanks;

Rod

Hi Rod,

Sounds like one side of the amp has a shorted output.  Send me a private email with the serial number and dealer purchased from and I will confirm the warranty. 

james

PS- where are you located?

You just send it to the factory, correct?

By the way, I need my faceplate repaired or replaced...it was damaged because of shipping...also, I probably could use a new box.

Rod_S

« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2008, 05:47 pm »
I called my local dealer who sold me the amp and they said if it's something simple they can take care of it but anything other than that the amp will need to go back to Bryston.

Perhaps the issue isn't as simple as believed. I continued to use the amp Sunday and yesterday because I figured since the amp is just powering my back channels only having one channel is better than none. Everything seemed fine and then early yesterday evening I smell something like burning rubber and didn't think anything of it other than someone in one of the other apartments on my floor must have burned something. A few hours later I notice the smell seems to be getting stronger so I check the hall and can't smell anything so the smell has to be coming from my apartment. I go around smelling (try not to laugh) all of my electronics and appliances and can't seem to detect anything so I start touching my home theater gear. My main power conditioner, a Furman IT Reference is usually quite hot and didn't appear hotter than normal and everything else seemed fine until I touched the top of the Bryston amp with the channel problem. Well, needless to say it was hot, so hot I burned my hand when I touched the top and again on the face plate. I immediately turned off the amp and disconnected all cables. Since I couldn't touch the amp I went and got some oven mits so I could take it out of the rack and set it in the middle of the floor. I then ran a fan directly on it for 15 minutes before it finally cooled down.

Would the above symptoms indicate what might have happened? I'm scared now that there may have been some serious damage to the amp after having it run so hot for potentially a long period of time can't be good for the internals and judging from what I smelled something must have melted. :(

Rod

bummrush

« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2008, 06:04 pm »
Your lucky you didnt start a fire

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2008, 06:18 pm »
I called my local dealer who sold me the amp and they said if it's something simple they can take care of it but anything other than that the amp will need to go back to Bryston.

Perhaps the issue isn't as simple as believed. I continued to use the amp Sunday and yesterday because I figured since the amp is just powering my back channels only having one channel is better than none. Everything seemed fine and then early yesterday evening I smell something like burning rubber and didn't think anything of it other than someone in one of the other apartments on my floor must have burned something. A few hours later I notice the smell seems to be getting stronger so I check the hall and can't smell anything so the smell has to be coming from my apartment. I go around smelling (try not to laugh) all of my electronics and appliances and can't seem to detect anything so I start touching my home theater gear. My main power conditioner, a Furman IT Reference is usually quite hot and didn't appear hotter than normal and everything else seemed fine until I touched the top of the Bryston amp with the channel problem. Well, needless to say it was hot, so hot I burned my hand when I touched the top and again on the face plate. I immediately turned off the amp and disconnected all cables. Since I couldn't touch the amp I went and got some oven mits so I could take it out of the rack and set it in the middle of the floor. I then ran a fan directly on it for 15 minutes before it finally cooled down.

Would the above symptoms indicate what might have happened? I'm scared now that there may have been some serious damage to the amp after having it run so hot for potentially a long period of time can't be good for the internals and judging from what I smelled something must have melted. :(

Rod

Hi Rod,

There is a thermal breaker in the amp which would prevent any damage (including a fire) so there shouldn't be any other damage than what originally caused the channel to go out.

Please get it to our repair depot and we will get it turned around for you ASAP.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2008, 06:59 pm »
After the smell and then discovereing how hot it was I was really concerned about a fire at that point but it's comforting to hear that would not have happened. I'm just waiting to get my box back from storage. Hopefully Mike will have contacted me when I get home. I didn't get a response yesterday after senidng him an e-mail Sunday. How long does it typically take to get a response?

Thanks,

Rod

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2008, 07:02 pm »
After the smell and then discovereing how hot it was I was really concerned about a fire at that point but it's comforting to hear that would not have happened. I'm just waiting to get my box back from storage. Hopefully Mike will have contacted me when I get home. I didn't get a response yesterday after senidng him an e-mail Sunday. How long does it typically take to get a response?

Thanks,

Rod

Hi Rod,

Mike is on holidays this week.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2008, 07:42 pm »
Rod,

i didn't turn off my setup for almost three weeks now (except the BDA-1). the units do run sometimes a bit hotter and sometimes not. but nothing unusual so far. so in your case it must be something serious...

al.

Rod_S

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2008, 09:11 pm »

Hi Rod,

Mike is on holidays this week.

james

OK that's fine. I will not be able to get my box back until Monday anyways.

Thanks again James.