What do you drink with Turkey?

mcullinan

Re: What do you drink with Turkey?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2008, 04:48 am »
giblet juice aka jesus juice... i know it doesnt make sense its what i specialize in!
Mike

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2008, 10:07 am »
Good for you guys.  I'm drinkin whatever my brother in law (his turn) is serving.  He's one of those cats that buys futures.  We both favor Silver Oaks Cabernet.  I'm hoping he has an '84 left.  He's drunk all mine.  Well, not all by himself.  He likes to surprise me.  I love that.  Happy Thanksgiving.

hndaaudio

« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2008, 11:14 am »
Not sure yet what I'll be drinking,but here are some good choices:

1) Lindemans lambic framboise-Awesome ! even if you don't care much for beer,give this a try,tastes more
                                          like (real)fruit flavored champagne

2) Pinot noir/red burgundy-Often disappointing,when it work's it's great

3) Petite sirah-Under appreciated by drinkers and growers.Magnificent potential in california.Guenoc made
                   some wonderful juice in the 80's and they were under $10.Why some of the top producers
                   don't rip up the mediocre merlot and plant petite sirah is beyond me.If you want to taste
                   what merlot can do: pomerol and st emilion.Heck,even chilean merlot is better !

4) Everclear

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #23 on: 22 Nov 2008, 07:26 pm »
Diet coke.

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 22 Nov 2008, 08:52 pm »
Willamette Valley Pinot Noir (Oregon) or Ponzi Pinot Noir (also from Oregon).

I think the dark grape goes better with the bird. I'm sure there are some wine experts that are now rolling their eyes!  :wine:

Wayner  aa

wje

« Reply #25 on: 22 Nov 2008, 08:58 pm »
Good for you guys.  I'm drinkin whatever my brother in law (his turn) is serving.  He's one of those cats that buys futures.  We both favor Silver Oaks Cabernet.  I'm hoping he has an '84 left.  He's drunk all mine.  Well, not all by himself.  He likes to surprise me.  I love that.  Happy Thanksgiving.

Probably some Night Train, Mad Dog 20/20 or Mogen David?  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 24 Nov 2008, 09:05 am »
Zinfandels sound like a good choice....... http://slate.com/id/2205108/?GT1=38001

doak

« Reply #27 on: 24 Nov 2008, 01:40 pm »
Beaujolais Nouveau

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 24 Nov 2008, 07:27 pm »

Probably some Night Train, Mad Dog 20/20 or Mogen David?  :thumb:
What's the word?  Thunderbird.  What's the price?  Thirty twice.  What's the action?  Satisfaction.  Who drinks the most?  Us colored folks.  For you who know, the latter was added to the jingle by the circle of tasters in my barracks in my Air Force days to which I include myself.  I can testify that this is some of the worst stuff ever to be put inside of a green bottle.  Night Train, however, must have elluded our discretionany palates somehow.  Pretty hard to do for my group.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #29 on: 24 Nov 2008, 08:10 pm »
94 Muga Rioja Reserva,  a local white, and a 1949 Blandy's Bual Madeira :drool:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #30 on: 25 Nov 2008, 08:51 pm »
94 Muga Rioja Reserva,  a local white, and a 1949 Blandy's Bual Madeira :drool:

A case of '04 Muga Reserva (#65 on the '08 100 Best Wine list on Wine Spectator) unexpectedly showed up. :dance:

I bet that Madeira is good.  :wine:  I like Port myself.

DavidS

« Reply #31 on: 25 Nov 2008, 09:03 pm »
Prosecco (a dry italian sparkling wine) - xmas tradition with turkey at our house,

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #32 on: 25 Nov 2008, 09:14 pm »
Woodsyi-
I too am fond of ports, but favor madeiras.  We had a 1900 D'Oliviera Moscatel for the Y2K celebration that was the best wine I have ever had- including great year 1st growths.  Then I ran into a restaurant in Seattle offering a tasting of 3 vintage Madeiras for dessert- 1875 Barbeito Malmsey, 1863 Barbeito Bual, and a 1834 Barbeito Malvasia.  All held afterflavors in the palate for 5 minutes-I timed it. Absolutely fabulous complexity.  After tasting the '63 and '34, it was apparent that the 75 had not yet completely matured.  An immature 130 year old wine!!

I still hold one of the 1900's in my cellar.  You need to come to Texas and help me drink it. :thumb:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #33 on: 25 Nov 2008, 09:58 pm »
Woodsyi-
I too am fond of ports, but favor madeiras.  We had a 1900 D'Oliviera Moscatel for the Y2K celebration that was the best wine I have ever had- including great year 1st growths.  Then I ran into a restaurant in Seattle offering a tasting of 3 vintage Madeiras for dessert- 1875 Barbeito Malmsey, 1863 Barbeito Bual, and a 1834 Barbeito Malvasia.  All held afterflavors in the palate for 5 minutes-I timed it. Absolutely fabulous complexity.  After tasting the '63 and '34, it was apparent that the 75 had not yet completely matured.  An immature 130 year old wine!!

I still hold one of the 1900's in my cellar.  You need to come to Texas and help me drink it. :thumb:

I would love to come down and help you drink that bottle.   :drool:  Of course, I would bring a couple of collectible bottles to share as well.   Have a great Thanksgiving.  :thumb: