Passive radiator adjusting...can someone give a few details?

maxwalrath

I'm trying to get things right with my RM1s and can't seem to get the bass integrated properly. I know the other tone controls can help bring everything together, but I was wondering if someone could help me out by describing the sonic changes that go along with adding and removing the "tuning" substance (Rope Caulk Weatherstrip).

warnerwh

Passive radiator adjusting...can someone give a few details?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2003, 09:06 pm »
The speakers have alot of latitude.  You will hear bloated and boomy bass if you take too much out. Be sure to not under estimate how much of an effect a fingernail full will have.  The damping of the passive will also affect the midrange. You'll hear the midrange become smoother and more coherent once it's right.  The bass should be articulate and defined, not fuzzy. Another important factor is the bass is greatly affected by room placement. Try moving the speakers closer to the walls for more bass or farther out for less.  I've assumed these are broken in. One thing about these speakers I believe that others will agree is that there's so much adjustment available you can make the speakers sound pretty awful. Just trying to stress to take things a little bit at a time.  Be sure to read on the VMPS site or call Brian as he can be very helpful.