Matching Speakers for 4B SST

Viajero5000

Re: Matching Speakers for 4B SST
« Reply #40 on: 20 Nov 2008, 05:01 pm »
Hi James,

Yes, interesting point you bring out there, this applies not only to speakers and amps, but pretty much anything hifi related. As a case in point, a number of Bryston amp users reported being very satisfied after switching from SS (including BP20) to Cary tube pre-amps; 'warmth, 3D, beauty' etc are some terms that these users reported in their feedback. Well, I bought a Cary SLP-98 (s/phile class A) to check it out, and most of what i hear in my system consists an overblown and grainy mid-range and a lack of resolution and frequency extension at both ends. Different strokes for different folks i guess.  As another case in point, whatever few B&W speakers i have heard have sounded coloured and mid-fi to me; several people swear by them though. And then there are of course those who place digital clocks on top of their equipment and are blown away by the amazing improvements in timing! :P I think a lot of hifi is actually a case-study in human psychology!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 20 Nov 2008, 05:20 pm »
Hi Viajero5000

I also think that one of the main problems we have is the lack of where you want to end up when you have finished assembling your system.

So much of it is 'I like it'-(and there's nothing wrong with that!) but having a valid reference point to compare to I think is important.

james

Tosko

« Reply #42 on: 20 Nov 2008, 05:32 pm »
Wow -and I thought amplifier owners had strong opinions.

james

Hi James.
I don´t  understand. Your affirmation was ironic or genuine ?
Which is your opinion about ProAc line speakers (or precisely D140)

Viajero5000

« Reply #43 on: 20 Nov 2008, 06:00 pm »
Hi James, yes, that's actually very good advice: one should establish a reference point at the onset of building a system. Value propositions presented by various system enhancements can then be ranked based on the [%age movement towards reference point to incremental $ investment] ratio. The proposition with the highest ratio should be chosen as the most logical improvement.

In practice of course, there are difficulties. Firstly, a reference point is decidedly fickle: e.g. saying that one wants a system with 'a smooth, open mid-range, that's easy on the ears' leaves too much margin for subjectivity. So I personally choose 'the sound of live, unamplified voices and musical instruments playing in my room' as a more tangible, although practically unattainable reference (and I admit that getting a Cary pre was an illogical and emotionally driven decision given this reference!  :)). Such references are also severely prone to diminishing marginal returns due to the limits of available technology, and deciding on an investment cut-off point is also highly subjective: a mid-fi sony system will almost invariably be a better value proposition than an active pmc system for example.

The second pervasive issue of course is that, due to the esoteric nature of the high-end market, it is practically very difficult to be aware of and audition the available universe of equipment within one's system and budgetary constraints, plus the issue of incorporating items like warranty, customer service, resale value etc. into one's decisions presents additional variables that are difficult to quantify.

I guess given these issues, the hifi market continues to be driven as much by subjectivity and emotion as it is by 'rational' decision making.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 20 Nov 2008, 08:31 pm »
Hi Viajero5000,

Yes I have always felt that I have been blessed being involved with Bryston over these many years because of our involvment in both PRO and Consumer audio. I spend as much time on the recording side of the equation as I do on the listening side.

So you very quickly develop a reference point (does that sound like a SAXAPHONE) that either translates or not when listen to playback in your home.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 20 Nov 2008, 08:34 pm »

james

Hi James.

Hi Tosko

A little 'tongue in cheek"  - I was just stating that the responses you were getting to your questions about speakers was very passionate in opinion to say the least.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #46 on: 20 Nov 2008, 08:56 pm »
 hi Viajero5000 and James,

well defined and open minded opinions. very good.

al.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #47 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:06 pm »

james

:D What can I say? I'm very picky when it comes to speakers. To me, most of what's on the market isn't very good. Just my 2 cents.

Tosko

« Reply #48 on: 21 Nov 2008, 02:32 am »

james

Hi James.

Hi Tosko

A little 'tongue in cheek"  - I was just stating that the responses you were getting to your questions about speakers was very passionate in opinion to say the least.

james

:icon_lol: Ok. I got it

robb

« Reply #49 on: 27 Nov 2008, 03:16 am »
Hi--I have found the Magnepans and the Thiels are awesome under Bryston control.

Rob

Tosko

« Reply #50 on: 1 Dec 2008, 06:14 pm »
Hi--I have found the Magnepans and the Thiels are awesome under Bryston control.

Rob
Thanx, Robert.