4B-ST vs. 4B-SST Gain

danman

4B-ST vs. 4B-SST Gain
« on: 14 Nov 2008, 01:43 am »
If I were to bi-amp with a 4B-ST and 4B-SST, would I have the same gain?  :scratch:

Viajero5000

Re: 4B-ST vs. 4B-SST Gain
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2008, 11:59 am »
As far as I'm aware, yes.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2008, 03:23 pm »
If I were to bi-amp with a 4B-ST and 4B-SST, would I have the same gain?  :scratch:

as far as i understand the Bryston website they do have the same gain.

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2008, 03:37 pm »
The Gain on the 4B ST Unbalanced is 29dB. The gain on the Balanced input on the 4B ST can be 29dB or 23dB depending on the input switch position (Bal+6 = 29dB, Bal=23dB).

The Gain on the 4B SST is 29dB or 23dB on either Balanced or Unbalanced depending on where the gain switch is set - 1 Volt=29dB, 2 Volt=23db.

james

danman

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2008, 05:48 pm »
So then you are saying the answer would be yes? Would I have to use the 2 RCA outputs to bi-amp or could I use one amp with the balanced and the other RCA since I would have to use 2 outputs from my BP-20 (which by the way James is working just charming!)?

With my Martin Logan Quests, I was thinking of going this way after recently hearing a simular set up however I thought maybe it would be a good idea to use a 4B-SST model for the stators and my 4B-ST for the woofers since it is the stators that demand the most energy from an amp. I just don't want an imbalance in volume. However, maybe another 4B-ST would also do the job!!!!!!!(?)

Last question would be on from experience................which do you think is better - vertical bi-amping or horizontal?

Viajero5000

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2008, 05:51 pm »
w.r.t your last question, i would say that a vertical is probably better in this particular scenario, as bridging the 4B would result in some reduction in the amp's finesse; If this hadn't been an issue, a horizontal bi-amp would probably be more useful with a passive X-over.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2008, 06:15 pm »
So then you are saying the answer would be yes? Would I have to use the 2 RCA outputs to bi-amp or could I use one amp with the balanced and the other RCA since I would have to use 2 outputs from my BP-20 (which by the way James is working just charming!)?

With my Martin Logan Quests, I was thinking of going this way after recently hearing a simular set up however I thought maybe it would be a good idea to use a 4B-SST model for the stators and my 4B-ST for the woofers since it is the stators that demand the most energy from an amp. I just don't want an imbalance in volume. However, maybe another 4B-ST would also do the job!!!!!!!(?)

Last question would be on from experience................which do you think is better - vertical bi-amping or horizontal?

Ok I think you mean using 2 amps in a Vertical or Horizontal-(not bridging the amps) configuration.

I prefer the Vertical biamping because you can place each Stereo amp very close to each speaker.

You need IDENTICAL amps in this case.

james

danman

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2008, 06:34 pm »
Please excuse my lack of knowledge and proper explanation as I am quite new to all of this but am having fun discovering!

I cannot use the amps in bridge mode as Martin Logan speakers would be too much considering I must be using an 8 ohm speaker. When you say to use IDENTICAL amps does that mean excluding the 4B-SST since I already own the 4B-ST even if the gain is the same?

danman

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2008, 06:36 pm »
Forgot to ask...................I am already very close to my speakers but does one version of bi-amping sound better than the other or are they comparable? I suppose this is a personal question but need your experienced opinion.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2008, 06:46 pm »
Please excuse my lack of knowledge and proper explanation as I am quite new to all of this but am having fun discovering!

I cannot use the amps in bridge mode as Martin Logan speakers would be too much considering I must be using an 8 ohm speaker. When you say to use IDENTICAL amps does that mean excluding the 4B-SST since I already own the 4B-ST even if the gain is the same?

Hi,

If your going to use a SINGLE STEREO amp to run both the woofer and the Panel "ON THE SAME SPEAKER" then they must be Identical.

If your going to use 1 4B on the Bass and 1- 4B on the Panel on "DIFFERENT SPEAKERS" then use the 4B ST
(STEREO) on the Bass and the 4B SST (STEREO) on the panels.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:03 pm »
i got my vertical vs. horizontal nomenclature mixed up in my post above... a *vertical* bi-amp (where you have two identical bridged amps), may not be as good due to briding issues as a *horizontal* one (where you have one stereo amp on bass and one on panels)... the horizontal would also provide flexibility in terms of ST on bass vs SST on panel etc.

Viajero5000

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:05 pm »
Quote: Ok I think you mean using 2 amps in a Vertical or Horizontal-(not bridging the amps) configuration.

James, how can one use two unbridged 4Bs in a vertical bi-amp? wouldnt they need to be bridged to make this work?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:20 pm »
Quote: Ok I think you mean using 2 amps in a Vertical or Horizontal-(not bridging the amps) configuration.

James, how can one use two unbridged 4Bs in a vertical bi-amp? wouldnt they need to be bridged to make this work?

Hi - I guess we have to define our terms - maybe I'm confused.

Vertical bi-amping is when you use 2 stereo amps BUT use a single stereo amp on each speaker and use 1/2 of the stereo amp to drive the bass and the other half to drive the mid/tweeter.

Horizontal bi-amping is when you use 2 stereo amps but 1 stereo amp runs the bass panels and the other stereo amp runs the mid/tweeters.

?????????????

james

danman

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:24 pm »
I think to answer your question you would have to have a pre-amp with 2 outputs instead of one. My BP-20 has two therefore you would use them accordingly based on which method of bi-amping you choose. You could probably use "Y" connectors as well if you only have one output.

Yes James I was planning on using the 4B-SST for the panels and the 4B-ST for the woofers. On my Quests, I have a switch for this method to separate the crossover.

danman

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:25 pm »
Yes James as far as what I know you are right!

Any opinions of which would sound better?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:40 pm »
Yes James as far as what I know you are right!

Any opinions of which would sound better?

If the individual stereo amplifiers only have one power supply for both channels I would go with Horizontal.

james

danman

« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:45 pm »
Sorry, I don't follow you. What do you mean by "one" power supply? Don't they each have 2 or am I mistaken?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:51 pm »
Sorry, I don't follow you. What do you mean by "one" power supply? Don't they each have 2 or am I mistaken?

Meant amps other than Bryston's (which have individual supplies for every and every channel).

james

danman

« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2008, 08:01 pm »
James, you have sold me on Bryston and now I am royally hooked therefore other amps are not even an option! I am very satisfied with the service you have given me as well as your opinions and professionalism but also the sound in my room as never been this good for such a modest price all things considered! Many of my friends have been mighty impressed with what they have heard comparing to what I had before and owning such a difficult speaker like Martin Logan, Bryston has made them come alive with an incredible midrange as well as clarity and bass.

Thanks for the info. I will be looking into bi-amping in the near future.

Viajero5000

« Reply #19 on: 16 Nov 2008, 12:31 pm »

Hi - I guess we have to define our terms - maybe I'm confused.

Vertical bi-amping is when you use 2 stereo amps BUT use a single stereo amp on each speaker and use 1/2 of the stereo amp to drive the bass and the other half to drive the mid/tweeter.

Horizontal bi-amping is when you use 2 stereo amps but 1 stereo amp runs the bass panels and the other stereo amp runs the mid/tweeters.

?????????????

james

Hi James, I agree with your definition of the horizontal and vertical bi-amps. I think I've sorted our the confusion i was having with the vertical bi-amp - in this situation, using two identical (4B type) stereo amps, and a pre-amp with two sets of outputs, we would:

-place one stereo amp ('amp A') next to the left speaker, and place the other next to the right speaker ('amp B')
-connect one of the left channel outs of the pre with the left channel in of amp A, and the other left channel out of the pre to the *right* channel in of amp A
-connect the left channel out of amp A to the bass, and the right one to the panel of the left speaker
- -use the same process to connect the right channel outs of the pre to amp B and to connect the right speaker to amp B

Are we on the same page? I've never tried this style of bi-amp as I've never had two identical amps in my system at one time, but it makes good sense.