What Speaker Cables?

DRjam

Re: What Speaker Cables?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2008, 01:58 pm »
I use Wire World silver eclipse2 exclusively on my system.  Have I tried others? yes but not extensively.  I think cables are just another tool to "tune" your music to your liking.  I have used silver on my system which made my system sound too airy and not enough bass.  Copper just seems be to what "Goldilocks" likes the best.   I have found that mixing brands in a system makes it harder to bring the musicality out of it.  Also switching from "lamp" cords to ultra expensive cabling will not make a mid-fi system to a high end music making machine.  You gotta have the system that has the "potential" of making the music you have envisioned in the first place.  Only my 2 cents.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2008, 02:01 pm »
You're all suckers and should be running zip wire   :lol:

Delacroix

« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2008, 02:14 pm »
You're all suckers and should be running zip wire   :lol:

Apparently we are....it's just the companies we bought the zip from put their own elaborate packaging on it ;)

fplanner2000

« Reply #23 on: 2 Dec 2008, 01:13 am »
es347: Albert was very surprised with the sound quality that was ultimately achieved from my sonically challenging room.  I'm sure if you asked him about my system, he would elaborate further, or maybe even post a response on this site.  He will definitely remember the experience (and the burgers!!).  I would say conservatively that "very impressed" covers it, but he may wish to comment further.  The combination of cabling and components I finally put together created a synergy that was and is pretty special, featuring the VR-7se's.  Of course, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #24 on: 2 Dec 2008, 03:18 am »
My zip wire comment was strictly tongue in cheek.  I am running Albert's bi-wire speaker cable and can attest to it's "efficacy" shall we say.  Your 7's must be incredible given how good my VR4 SR MKII's are.  Good for you.

Bracer

« Reply #25 on: 4 Dec 2008, 06:09 pm »
I have been very happy using Nordost Red Dawn with my VR4 JR's. My room dictates quite a long run of cable and Nordost seems to do well in this type of circumstance

economides

« Reply #26 on: 5 Dec 2008, 02:36 pm »
I use Acoustic Zen Absolute both Interconnects and Speaker Cables with my VR 5 Anniversary and the results are both musical and transparent

Jyrki N

« Reply #27 on: 5 Dec 2008, 05:19 pm »
Hello,
I use Aqoustic Zen Hologram ll for my VR/4genlll, I have own cables for MT and Bass.
Signal cables are AZ Matrix Reference balanced. For my center, LCR/35 I have also
Hologram ll, all signal cables for center, side and surround, VR1 and TS150, I have
Kimber cable Select KS1011 and KS1111 bal. Speaker cables for sides and surrounds
are some cheap cable, I dont know what but 4mm2

Jyrki Niskanen, Finland

Delacroix

« Reply #28 on: 5 Dec 2008, 05:23 pm »
Great to see some new posters here, and from around the globe --- welcome all to the VSA circle -- feel free to introduce yourselves in the main welcome thread.

I am hoping to get a chance to hear some of the new VSA speaker cables before year end, I'll let you all know my impressions in due course.

CSI

« Reply #29 on: 5 Dec 2008, 05:48 pm »
The fun thing about cable discussions is they are guaranteed to bring out strongly opposing views - usually ranging from, "You are all delusional and wasting your $" to, "If you can't hear these obvious differences there is something wrong with your ears and you may have character defects as well".

My2c worth: Cables make an audible difference in any system.
If it is self-delusion, I really don't care. At least it is a consistent delusion (like a permanent mirage).
Don't spend too much money and consider buying used.
You are almost always better off with all cables (at least IC's and Speaker) supplied by the same mfg. - mixing and matching is a real crap shoot.
The best budget cables come from Blue Jeans and Signal (in my experience). Also, in my experience, DH Labs and Audience cables are worth the $. The Audience Conductor cables are pretty close the the top of the their line in performance for a fraction of the price.

Of course, your experience may differ, and everything is system dependent.

And, oh yea, there are charlatans in the cable business. More than one mfg. has gotten filthy rich selling a few dollars worth of wire and plugs for mega-thousands.Think of these guys as the A/V equivalent of Wall Street Masters of the Universe. PT Barnum was right -there's a sucker born every minute.

Jyrki N

« Reply #30 on: 5 Dec 2008, 06:42 pm »
Hello again,
Delacroix, I tried to put some pictures in my wellcome  and interest in VS speakers
but the message said that no pictures is in. So I checked help how to add pictures,
well I couldnt, I dont know why. If somebody wants to help me, I can send pictures
and he or she can add my equipment pictures to the post, thank you

Jyrki N

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #31 on: 6 Dec 2008, 08:25 am »
Hi Jyrki N,

I had the same problem .
Rutgar helped me out.
Folow the lines below.

Cor

To get a picture to show in a thread:

Upload the picture to the Audio Circle Gallery.

After loading; Right Click on the full size image, go to 'Properties', highlight the full address of the picture (http:..etc), right click on highlighted address and select 'copy'.

Then go to your post, click on the 'insert image' icon and paste the address in between the ] and the [ .

keith

« Reply #32 on: 10 Dec 2008, 11:03 am »
On my end, I've tried the following with good results:

Audience Au24
Purist Audio Aqueous Anniversary

:)

Mr_dingo

« Reply #33 on: 13 Dec 2008, 06:42 pm »
Hello.

I have used Purist Audio Aqueous Anniversary speaker cable, for my VR-4GENIIIHSE, a total failure!!
I found them to dark sounding, and cause the HSE´s to sound "closed or choked" and none focus.
My old Neotech NS-1456 speaker cable completely trashed the PAD cable.

Regards

Fredrik

StereoNut

« Reply #34 on: 3 Jan 2009, 12:47 am »
FWIW - I have a pair of VR4_Gen.III's... actually they're Albert's "first born" (serial#'s 001 & 002, I think?)  Anyway, I've got Naim electronics and used to run Naim NACA5 speaker cable.  About 2 years ago, I replaced the NACA5 with QED Silver Spiral and the results were better than expected.  My system has much more "meat on the bone" now with the QED in.  The NACA5 sounded thin in comparison to the QED.

bblilikoi

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jan 2009, 09:28 pm »
Does anyone know how to get in touch with Paul Garner of Verbatim Cable?  He's stopped answering his phone, though I've left several messages over the past few months.  I sent him a pair of his interconnects to repair back in late October and, though he called me once, saying he'd shipped them Priority mail, they never showed up.  He said he'd look into it at the post office, last we spoke, but that was over two months ago now. 

I've heard he's prone to disappearing acts, but he was ever faithful and in close touch with me up until this last fiasco.  I've his speaker wires and interconnects and love them, even wrote an AudogoN review of the interconnects. 

If you're in touch with Paul or know how to reach him, please let me know.

Garrett

StereoNut

« Reply #36 on: 20 Jan 2009, 06:15 pm »
Nevermind... I already responded!  Duh!

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #37 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:59 am »
MIT Oracle MA and MA-X all the way baby :banana piano: